hunting

Still winning

Wow - flashbacks to the couple of really ugly craves I went through. There were three of them so bad I had to call someone and come into chat. They sure sucked at the time but hindsight shows they were at most twenty minutes long.

Perspective - added up I have less than 12 hours of discomfort involved in this quit and I'm a long term started as a kid heavy smoker. Marti - that one you went through is more than likely the worst  it will be. You established a protocol to deal with the next one (if one occurs) so you got it covered. Good for you.

• Like 3

Marti - Im so pleased you posted an SOS thats exactly the right thing you did

I can relate to what you did last night mine was emotional upset plus wine - 2 worse triggers for me add them together and WHAM - I to tore the house to pieces looking for anything, I could not drive anywhere or (I would have) I even checked outside!!

Thankfully I did a good clean up job and nothing could be found

Now you got through last nights situation without smoking - you quit is stronger today 

mart you will go from strength to strength xx

• Like 1

Marti.

You ever scare me like that again and I will kick your arse from here to eternity.

Men are idiots. Trust me, I am one. I know.

Booze is dangerous.

Careful!

However, brilliant SOS, brilliant fight. Well done you!

To everyone who chimed in, THANK YOU all so much. You saved my quit buddy.

I'm off to golf....but don't think you are in the clear yet young lady......

;)

Gutsy. You rock.

• Like 2

Hey Marti - just saw this - but way to kick a crave in the you know what's - you did awesome posting an SOS and I think this whole post proves that this board rocks !

Keep letting us know how you are going - cos we all want to be here for you 3daa4cc69413a4a4fda538b0ecb14120_zps9b10

• Like 1

I'm soo sorry Marti I was asleep, I'm soo proud of you for getting through the hardest crave, you did it so can you please make sure you treat yourself all day today, be selfish and look after you and only you, eat cake for breakfast;)

Men!! My marriage is all but over and I can honestly say I have thought of nothing other than smoking the last few days but I am really trying not to xxx

Soo happy for you did bloody brilliant, think how proud your girls are of you and they need you around but if you smoke you can guarantee you wont be around so knock that thought on the head.

• Like 1

I am ok, and still smoke free. That was pretty raw and very surprising! Thank you and hopefully it was a stand alone thing and I just think move on and don't over analyse? I cried so much my eyes are swollen this morning, stupid emotional triggers, ended up crying cause I was looking for the cigs when I didn'treally want to smoke??  I got me some crazy in this trigger loaded head I guess. I truly appreciate the talking me down and the ability to put an sos and make myself accountable. Even if it was interspersed with internal nuttiness. x

• Like 5

I am so glad you didn't smoke.  The first month of my quit was pretty easy.  At 6 weeks I went bat shit crazy.   I did one thing though that kept my life pretty much unscathed in the long run (it was hell in the short run).  I explained to my husband in a moment of clarity that I loved him and that since he wanted me to quit smoking too, I would appreciate it if he did not hold me accountable for, or take personally, anything I said or did.  Looking back, I am surprised that he didn't leave me.  I was mean.  I was downright mean.  I said horrible things to him.  Horrible things.  I bit him.  I cut down his favorite tree.  

During the time of my craziness, I tried really hard not to make any big decisions.  I packed my bags a few times because I thought everyone was against me.  Bit paranoid I guess.  I am so glad I didn't make any decisions that would be difficult to undo.  I am glad I didn't leave.  I am glad he didn't leave.  He did try to be there for me but at times I just hurt him and he expressed some doubt about our marriage.   He was strong for me but he is only human.  We are back on a good track now.   

The quitting smoking gets so much easier.  It really does.  You will get there.   One thing I've become acutely aware of though is that I smothered a lot of emotions with smoking and alcohol.  Just smoke and/or drink a little more and nothing permeates the barrier.   At this point in my life I am learning how to deal with emotions and expressing myself appropriately.  

You are reaching the point where the brain fog is lifting.   When it started lifting for me, I learned not to react right away but to take a breath and really think about what was happening.  Perspective is a truly an amazing concept.  I learned mine was all out of whack.   Be patient with yourself and ask him to be patient with you.  This only last a few short months and then you will have the rest of your life to make up.

You can get through this.   

• Like 6

I am so glad you didn't smoke.  The first month of my quit was pretty easy.  At 6 weeks I went bat shit crazy.   I did one thing though that kept my life pretty much unscathed in the long run (it was hell in the short run).  I explained to my husband in a moment of clarity that I loved him and that since he wanted me to quit smoking too, I would appreciate it if he did not hold me accountable for, or take personally, anything I said or did.  Looking back, I am surprised that he didn't leave me.  I was mean.  I was downright mean.  I said horrible things to him.  Horrible things.  I bit him.  I cut down his favorite tree.  

During the time of my craziness, I tried really hard not to make any big decisions.  I packed my bags a few times because I thought everyone was against me.  Bit paranoid I guess.  I am so glad I didn't make any decisions that would be difficult to undo.  I am glad I didn't leave.  I am glad he didn't leave.  He did try to be there for me but at times I just hurt him and he expressed some doubt about our marriage.   He was strong for me but he is only human.  We are back on a good track now.   

The quitting smoking gets so much easier.  It really does.  You will get there.   One thing I've become acutely aware of though is that I smothered a lot of emotions with smoking and alcohol.  Just smoke and/or drink a little more and nothing permeates the barrier.   At this point in my life I am learning how to deal with emotions and expressing myself appropriately.  

You are reaching the point where the brain fog is lifting.   When it started lifting for me, I learned not to react right away but to take a breath and really think about what was happening.  Perspective is a truly an amazing concept.  I learned mine was all out of whack.   Be patient with yourself and ask him to be patient with you.  This only last a few short months and then you will have the rest of your life to make up.

Baffled....I love LOVE, truly LOVE this post! It made me think of a quote: 

"

“Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."” C.S. Lewis

• Like 1

Oh great Baffle...now I have to go and ask my husband if I am mean...(meaner as usual) lol

Love your post...so glad you are here! So glad!

• Like 1

Marti, you did the right thing by posting an SOS and fighting hard... it paid off because you beat this crave to the curb.  No matter what happens in life (and I do not say this lightly, I have lived thru a number of terrible things since my quit), never ever never give in to the ugly cig.

I can promise you this: the more you scream (and cry) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to the crave, each time will become just a little bit easier... before you know it, you will be completely free from the ugly grasp of the cig.

Good job, well done, keep up the awesome fight!

Rain :)

• Like 1

So...

Julie, Jenny, Action, Trish, Paul, Sarge, MQ, Dors, LB, Babs, Comrade.

Thank you. Fantastic work in talking Marti off the ledge.

Sarah, Pippa, Tracey, Sue, Evelyn, Baffled, Rain Forest

Thank you for chipping in.

All of you guys stepped in while Martis quit buddy slept. So, I owe you all a drink. (Beer or soda!)

The power of the train is here. People from the UK, Canada, the US, Australia and mainland Europe all jumping to help Marti.

Big hand to you all. :)

• Like 3

Marti, I fell asleep while you were still struggling and I apologize for that.  (took some medication).  I saw you were in good hands though.  I am so happy you did not smoke.  It won't help and I promise that if you stick with it, it gets so much easier.