Buy now pay later?

JB 883

Coming up I will actually reveal how this relates to tobacco.

So first let us examine when people get in trouble with credit card debt. You sign up for one. You have good intentions. Only emergencies, pay it off each month. yeah. But then you get more offers. Sure why not? It is fun. You want, you swipe, what's the harm? Before you know it, you have a bit of a debt problem. Yet you have nothing to really show for it. But not only can you not afford to repay without going through a bunch of BS, there is nothing left for those "emergencies".

What about a bad relationship? They started so great. Things progress. They become an integral part of your life. Maybe you move in together. But then things start to get a little rough cause the fun is soon over. Maybe an unexpected pregnancy occurs. Well, NOW you done it! Now you are stuck.

It just seems like every bad habit or choice out there eventually leads to problems and one is hit with the "bill" unexpectedly.

So now take smoking. We all thought it was fun or cool or grown up or sexy etc when we started. But at some point we learn we are hooked. people who never quit or quit too late are often likely to have varying health problems from it. I do not know about anyone else but I HATE when I am sick. Crippling.

So among about a dozen other reasons I decided to say "to hell with this" (that is my own quit smoking mantra) there is one above all - yeah I had my time smoking but wanted to quit BEFORE some nasty "bill" arrived.

I think knowing the health risks can discourage some smokers or would-be smokers but maybe a few more could be reached by relating the long-term problems to something one has experienced in the past. For me, being stupid with credit cards and then worrying about how I would deal with the bills... I do not want to "pay later" for tobacco.

Do not get me started about my bad relationships. This forum would explode then Marylandquitter would fly over here and beat my ass.

• Like 6

Great post !!!!!

Life is full of good choices,and bad choices...

Every addict starts out in the experimental stage...some get to grips with it early on...some... sorry to say don't...

But...the good news is..It's never too late...to change ...you just have to want to change...bad enough.....

Not all relationships are bad..who knows what's around the corner...we have had a wedding here...

Agree - great post JB! It always boils down to choices we make in life and it's no different with smoking. That is after all how we learn and mature as we age though. Making choices then dealing with the consequences of those choices. No different with this smoking thing. That's why I think all of us here deserve a pat on the back for learning that for what ever reason or reasons, we are better off quit than to continue on as smokers. Good for us because we are making the right choice!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 3:41 AM, Jetblack said:

So among about a dozen other reasons I decided to say "to hell with this" (that is my own quit smoking mantra) there is one above all - yeah I had my time smoking but wanted to quit BEFORE some nasty "bill" arrived.

The only thing I would add is: there is a price being paid by smokers long before the big bill comes due.  I kicked the can down the road for years procrastinating about quitting.  I told myself that I feel pretty good for now.  Hindsight is 20/20 and now I realize I didn't feel good, I felt normal.  Normal for a smoker.  

Wasted potential is a price we all payed while enslaved by the cigarette.

Edited by Boo
  • Like 2