Government Intervention to Reduce Smoking

Reciprocity

Where I live (Canada), the federal government is looking to possibly jump the taxation rate on smoking materials considerably because they claim it is the #1 motivation to quitting. Current taxation rate is 68% of the cost of a pack of smokes and they want it to be 80% which would represent probably a $2.00 per pack jump in cost. That's a lot more than the normal $0.25 - $0.50 per pack jump they have levied from time to time in the past. I'm not sure if they are serious or if it's just a tax grab? I can remember several cost barriers I said I would never stand for yet, each one came and went and I was still puffing away. The Government's claimed goal is to reduce the smoking population from the current 14.5 % to 5% by 2035.  I wonder what such a dramatic jump in cost  would do for the black market cigarette trade which is already a thriving business.

My own feeling is further restrictions on where people can smoke might have more impact. It not only makes it more difficult to smoke but also ramps up the social stigma now attached to smokers huddling outside in whatever space is allotted to them. Aside from negative health concerns, that to me was one of the most irritating part of smoking by the time I quit.

• Like 2

Hey R! I live in Canada as well and the cost of a pack of cigarettes is ridiculous...but I was paying it! Just crazy. Yes the Government’s increase in taxes on cigarettes is likely a tax grab...so many people in my area live close enough to black market cigs they just go every week & buy a large bag. I have never bought them that way personally but it is much cheaper. At $14.00 Canadian per pack at the corner store it’s a pretty darned expensive habit! But I agree that more smoke free places would help to reduce smoking....as long as there are people watching out to enforce that law. I’m looking forward to my bank account not going down so quickly with being a non smoker personally though!!! 

Edited by Tyme2B
  • Like 2

Get it done now T2B. Those hefty tax increases might be coming as soon as next March (Federal Budget time?). If I had my ticker thing going, I could show you just how much I've saved since I quit in Jan. of this year. It's a big bag of cash by now, that's for sure. You CAN do it if you put your mind to it and stick with it. Help the government get to that 5% smoking population - I've done my part :9_innocent:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

You CAN do it if you put your mind to it and stick with it. Help the government get to that 5% smoking population - I've done my part :9_innocent:

You’re so right R. I want badly to quit so that helps a lot. I think when I saw the stats of the smoking population & realized I was one of a huge minority, it really hit home how stupid I have been! Others have quit....so can I. It’s ridiculous to think I “can’t”. So every time I think I want a cig, I chew a piece of gum & remind myself I don’t smoke anymore. 

My biggest problem right now is not the cravings...it’s the fatigue. I am so tired I am useless. I have read that this is not unusual & does go away. Hope it gets better soon....I don’t have time to lie around....of course having a cold doesn’t help the fatigue but at the same time it has helped me to stop smoking. Bittersweet for sure. 

• Like 1

Yes, I just wrote in your other thread about how I was the same for the first week or even two of my quit. Pretty tired all the time and had the brain fog too so was not at the top of my game productivity wise but, it does eventually go away and the results are worth it so ..... just get it done and out of the way. That's the only way past it all :) 

• Thanks 1

Yes, nicotine is a stimulant, so it's quite normal to be more tired when you first quit. It's also why I'm sleeping SO well now that there's none of that poison in my system and really appreciating that gift of the quit. The fatigue will resolve after a time- for me it wasn't long at all (about a week or two) but everyone's different.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeaceTrain said:

Yes, nicotine is a stimulant, so it's quite normal to be more tired when you first quit. It's also why I'm sleeping SO well now that there's none of that poison in my system and really appreciating that gift of the quit. The fatigue will resolve after a time- for me it wasn't long at all (about a week or two) but everyone's different.  

My last Quit was absolute hell as I could NOT sleep...had terrible insomnia...but every Quit is different, and I sure would prefer to have the fatigue rather than insomnia this time (final time) round. Thanks for caring & sharing ?

• Like 1

The US govt does that for the same reason. Sure it discourages smokers somewhat but for a hardcore addict, they typically will just bitch about it then keep lighting up.

I wonder though if smoking became a niche market on count of price or whatever - THEN where would the feds get extra money? They claim the tobacco tax hikes are to offset health care costs but it is hard to imagine they are not collecting more tax than what smokers are costing health care.

Is it really about trying to get people to quit or is it just exploiting people who have a habit that can be a bear to overcome?

• Like 2