Weight Gain from quitting smoking

Gemzee

I just wanted to let the newbies know that you will get to a point where you don't want to eat every second of the day. I decided when I quit that I'd allow myself whatever food I wanted....I craved sugar ALL THE TIME which is unusual for me - so I ate sweets, chocolate and cakes, I stuffed my face actually! The sugar cravings lasted about a month for me, after that I cut down on sugar but still ate a lot of junk food. Obviously I put on a lot of weight...I wasn't happy about it but I was ok with it, after all I had done the unthinkable...I'd quit smoking! And relatively easily too!!

After a few months I no longer felt the need to stuff my face...my weight stabilised and as soon as I started a healthy diet and exercise it started coming off. I'm not at my ideal weight now but I am at roughly pre quit weight and most importantly I feel happy - both with how I look and how I feel.

You may put on weight when you quit, you don't HAVE to (the same as I didn't have to...I chose to) but you may and you know what? I think that's ok! Concentrate on your quit, nurture and love your quit, everything else can wait.

• Like 11

Yep I couldn't stop eating, it was the only thing that got me through the day.

I would have to eat about 4 things for breakfast to keep me sane cos mornings were the hardest for me but I am completely back down to normal eating habits, I only ate the whole house for about 6 weeks, then it was fine and I only put a couple of pounds on but I can honestly say I didn't care if I put on loads more, all I cared about was not smoking.

Just do whatever you have to do to get through the first month then it gets soo much easier and actually quite enjoyable ;)

• Like 3

I read that nicotine is an appetite represent which is why you feel hungry when you quit.

To this end (actually as from today) I've been planning out my daily meals so I don't overeat and if I'm feeling hungry I've got carrot sticks and water! Hopefully this should keep my arse width in check!

• Like 3

I wish I was that organised, I just cycled more! Seems to be working ish to keep me from becoming even more of a fat bastard.

The fundamental is that if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight, equally, if you consume more calories than you burn you will gain weight. So either exercise more or eat less. Pretty simple really.

• Like 2

I read that nicotine is an appetite represent which is why you feel hungry when you quit.

To this end (actually as from today) I've been planning out my daily meals so I don't overeat and if I'm feeling hungry I've got carrot sticks and water! Hopefully this should keep my arse width in check!

Yes, what happens is smoking causes stored sugars to be released into the bloodstream, not sure how it works, but that is why you don't feel such hunger as a smoker.  when you quit, you have to find the fuel from elsewhere, this is why people recommend fruit juices etc as quit aids.

PS, some of the crankiness associated with quitting is actually a symptom of low blood sugar, so if you are feeling pretty crappy, get something to raise the blood sugar and see if that helps :-)

• Like 1

I wish I was that organised, I just cycled more! Seems to be working ish to keep me from becoming even more of a fat bastard.

The fundamental is that if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight, equally, if you consume more calories than you burn you will gain weight. So either exercise more or eat less. Pretty simple really.

I done exactly the same thing Rob, it just made me more hungry lol :-)

In my age ...weight gain was just not acceptable, it just doesn't come off that easy and it's not healthy if you are in your 50's. I gained a lot of weight in 2 weeks, mainly because I ate everything that didn't eat me first. I changed my diet in week 3 and the weight came right off. 

I started running and now I weigh less than before...So it's no big deal. I say go and eat all your want when you just quit smoking, spoil and pamper yourself. You will feel better after a couple of weeks..then it's time to become more active.

• Like 1

I was such an oblivious dink......I kept hopping on the scale during my first 6wks or so of my quit.

Nothing but a 5ish pound fluctuation. One day up a couple, next day down a couple.

I thought I had it made, in spite of the fact that I was living on the computer and the only muscle getting exercise was my jaw from chewing.

And then, I got word that I was going back to work. I started rearranging my closet and bringing my dress clothes to the front.

I tried on my dress pants.

And another pair.

Good lord, not one pair fit me!!

The scale tells me that 12lbs dropped itself on my @ss while I was blogging and dipping pretzels in melted chocolate.

-shrug-

I bought some bigger pants.

And stopped melting chocolate

;)

• Like 2

I gained an crazy amount of weight.  I'm not sure I could have controlled my eating in the early days but I should have countered it with being more active.  Live and learn right!  If you're a newbie reading this I would def advise exercise while quitting.  It will help to stabilize your weight and helps with craves too!

• Like 1

As a wise women here once told me....it is easier to lose fat cells than cancer cells.

If weight goes on...it can come off.

Concentrate on the quit first...weight second....

It will balance out down the track....SHE'LL BE RIGHT MATE.

• Like 4

I'm on day 2 and I don't feel hungry or the need to pick at sweets but I am so tired I'm struggling to get through the day.

Laura, day 2 is probably the very hardest day of all.  Pamper yourself, keep having snacks or juice...you can make it!

• Like 2

Laura,

Make sure to keep up your fluid intake for the first few days. Drink fruit juice, this may help with your feeling lethargic. It will get better in time. Be as kind as possible to yourself early on, your body is your temple and it's been smoked out lately, so it is adjusting to the new you. Time will be your friend. Keep the Quit and stay positive. Read all the info you can and empower your mind to fight this addiction.

Proud of you.

• Like 1