Random Thoughts About Smoking

Reciprocity

So at just over 8 months quit I went on my first full week vacation and was out of my normal day to day routine during that time. A new experience for me and in the back of my head I guess I was telling myself; "be on guard for urges or craves that might come unexpectedly" but, I really didn't think that would happen.

First of all, it was great not having to smoke a couple before going through security at the airport when flying out :) It was a 5 hour flight so it was also nice not to be in an agitated state after 3 or 4 hours into the flight or to be running for the door upon arrival at destination to get that much needed "fix".

During my time at the resort, I took note of almost everyone I saw smoking and what their ages were. I don't know why I took note of ages of the smoker but I did and I was surprised at how many younger people were still smoking. I thought the message was getting thorough to the younger generation that this smoking thing is really bad and dangerous to your health but, apparently not :( There were a few people vaping but most of them were still smoking the good old cigarette. I took note in particular of a young man who obviously worked out a lot because he had bulging muscles and a 6-pack to be proud of but there he was at the pool bar, smoking a cigarette!! That one really surprised me!

For myself; I did have a few well defined craves, which surprised me a little. I thought I was over those but there they were at unexpected moments. Mostly when I was completely relaxing in a lounge on the beach soaking up the tropical rays. A wave would come over me out of nowhere and I would think; man, I would really like to have a smoke right now! It would only last maybe 10-20 seconds but it was more intense than I thought I would experience again at this stage in my quit. Not as intense as early on in my quit and certainly not for as long but .... it was still there. A new experience in an unfamiliar setting and there it was again! My brain was looking for that comfort zone that it thinks smoking provided.

So here I am, back home again and getting back into my normal hum-drum daily routine but probably somewhat the better for having gone off my "normal routine" for a bit and experiencing new non-smoking situations and getting thorough them without any serious struggles. 

I think the thing I had to fight the most while away was the urge to go up to almost every smoker I saw and make some sort of comment to then. Something to the affect of, "you do know those are killing you right? And, you know it really is possible to quit if you really want to make the commitment!" But, I know the reaction such a statement would create so of course I said nothing to anyone. Too bad people who kind of want to quit but just don;t think they can do it didn't wear a sign around their neck or something. I definitely would approach those people just to give them some encouragement :)

8P8xrBD.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for that honest account, Recipocity. It doesn't help to sugar coat the quitting process by understating the feelings that can come up even at 8 months quit. We are all individuals, having our own unique experience of quitting and it helps to see the intersectionality of my experience with others and also the ways In which others' experiences are divergent from my own. No matter where we are in our process, day by day, month by month and eventually, year by year, the guiding principle of NOPE prevails.

• Like 3

Yes, absolutely but I am always hesitant to post up stuff about having urges or cravings to smoke after a fairly long quit just because new quitters might interpret that as the kind of all consuming craves they battle early on. It really isn't like that at all but the idea is that this IS a deep seeded addiction and I don't think it ever completely disappears from your random thought process. It becomes very easily managed and those thought don't come very often but it's never like you never smoked in your life. You simply can't erase those thousands of imprints you have made upon you brain over your smoking years so certain situations will come along even years down the road where your brain will link something to smoking. The good news is that once you have truly decided that you are done with the deadly addiction, it's pretty easy to manage anything that somes at you and it only becomes easier and easier every day you keep your NOPE pledge!

• Like 2

Thanks for such an insightful and introspective look into your experience Reci. It’s a fine line between wanting to project hopefulness to newbies and revealing that there are occasional bumps in the road long after we believed it would be smooth sailing. As you suggest, something that’s so ingrained in our daily life, year after year, is not easily erased.

The good news is it becomes a distant and momentary thought as time goes by. And the rewards....let’s just say: they are AMAZING!

P.S. You may not have been able to help all those smokers at the resort, but you’ve certainly helped your fair share here.

• Like 2

A great post Reci...

I don't know if we will ever forget we were smokers... After 4 years of not smoking ,I found myself looking and analysing all the smokers in Paris..

Not in a jealous way,or in a urge to smoke way...I just found myself observing ,just how many smoked...

Only time will tell whether this stays or goes...

I hope I never get so complacent.. I forget all the dangers...at the moment it's still very fresh in my mind..

Just how close I came ,to having a different outcome ,I have today...

Thanks for the reminder....

• Like 2

I doubt you will ever forget that and become complacent. That just wouldn't be you :)

I did see a lady at the resort one evening sitting outside in one of the designated smoking areas and she had one arm amputated above the elbow and her feet/ankles were both very discolored. Not sure if any of that had anything to do with smoking but I certainly thought of the story you have related to us about your own experience and I wondered about her sitting there puffing away :o

• Like 1

I doubt you will ever forget that and become complacent. That just wouldn't be you :)

I did see a lady at the resort one evening sitting outside in one of the designated smoking areas and she had one arm amputated above the elbow and her feet/ankles were both very discolored. Not sure if any of that had anything to do with smoking but I certainly thought of the story you have related to us about your own experience and I wondered about her sitting there puffing away :o

Wow ..scarey ..it could have well been..my ankles were black..I looked like I had been battered with a baseball bat.

They were so sore..within a few months of quitting ,they started to fade very slowly..I still have one dark area ,like a bruise.

I say ...I have been left this ,as a reminder ..of what will happen ..if ever I'm a idiot and have that puff x

• Like 1

Yes traveling as a non-smoker is great. I think for quite some time the urges will come and go like a phantom. It was part of our habits for so long. The picture looks beautiful glad you had a good time everyone needs to unplug and relax. Glad you returned safe and sound.

• Like 2

It really isn't like that at all but the idea is that this IS a deep seeded addiction and I don't think it ever completely disappears from your random thought process. It becomes very easily managed and those thought don't come very often but it's never like you never smoked in your life. You simply can't erase those thousands of imprints you have made upon you brain over your smoking years so certain situations will come along even years down the road where your brain will link something to smoking. 

Barring some scenario where I get hit on the head by a coconut and develop amnesia (see Gilligan's Island for further reference) it's doubtful that I will ever forget that I was a smoker.  And that's fine with me.  I think about things all the time that I never act on.  Smoking is just one more item on that list.

Thoughts have as much or as little power as you give them.

• Like 2

Barring some scenario where I get hit on the head by a coconut and develop amnesia (see Gilligan's Island for further reference) it's doubtful that I will ever forget that I was a smoker.  And that's fine with me.  I think about things all the time that I never act on.  Smoking is just one more item on that list.

Thoughts have as much or as little power as you give them.

Right enough, Boo.  I did plenty of stupid s&*t in my life that I no longer do.  Smoking is now on that list.

• Like 1