Off the plane; never got off the train

PeaceTrain

Hi train buddies! Hubs and I got back yesterday afternoon from our trip. We flew into Milan, rented a car and visited Northern Italy, the Swiss Alps and the Provence region of France. For MOST of the time, I wa sooooo happy not to be a smoker anymore, especially hiking in the Alps. Honestly, if I were still smoking, I don think I could have done it. Plus, traveling is altogether much more pleasant and comfortable as a non-smoker!

Everyone in the little village where we stayed in Switzerland seemed to be living a very healthy lifestyle. This was a tiny hamlet perched on the side of a mountain, with tiers of homes and cottages on the mountainside at different levels with small steep roads connecting them. There was one man we passed on a paved road that was walking in the opposite direction and smoking a cigarette. The next day, we were out on the deck having coffee in the morning and people were moving about above and below. There was one man very slowly making his way up the hill. When he got a little closer, I said, "Look, that's the man we passed yesterday on the road." My husband said, "Yes, and see how slow he is. He's a smoker."

France and Italy were different- smokers everywhere seeming very happy to sit around, drinking wine or coffee, puffing away in piazzas, laughing chatting with their friends. Looking at these scenes, it was easy to romance the smoke. Even though I don't want to go back to smoking, I did have my difficult moments- stupid feelings of deprivation. I mean, really! What am I deprived of? I have a great life and so far no terrible health issues. This (literally) stinking addiction is so powerful, it can really mess with your mind! These people sitting around, seemingly having a great time are just as vulnerable as we are to the devastation of smoking. There's a dark side to it that vastly outweighs...

What I also came to realize on this trip is that (what I'm hoping are) the last remnants of junkie thinking coming through seem to manifest as snarky, crabby, bitchy behavior that reflect my addictive mind and not my tuprue character. This is getting better but best to understand what's really going on and not mistake it for something else. My mind and emotions are still going through this adjustment process.

So it's good to be back. I've got a lot to catch up,on here! KTQ, all! Today I'll be back on the NOPE pledge.

• Like 3

Yaaa Hi PT..us chicks have missed you heaps...so welcome back....

Your little break sounded perfect...Switzerland is on my bucket list..sounds peaceful....

I found smokers were everywhere in Paris..smokers and diners sitting together... Gross....

Those stinkin thoughts come and go...of course the nico monster is just letting you know he's still around...

Feel proud...you understand it's the addiction talking...and wasn't lured back in...

Your holiday would have been soooooo different ,if you had to feed your addiction every hour or so...

Well done you ...xxxxx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

France and Italy were different- smokers everywhere seeming very happy to sit around, drinking wine or coffee, puffing away in piazzas, laughing chatting with their friends. Looking at these scenes, it was easy to romance the smoke. Even though I don't want to go back to smoking, I did have my difficult moments- stupid feelings of deprivation. I mean, really! What am I deprived of? I have a great life and so far no terrible health issues. This (literally) stinking addiction is so powerful, it can really mess with your mind! These people sitting around, seemingly having a great time are just as vulnerable as we are to the devastation of smoking. There's a dark side to it that vastly outweighs...

Next time you see smokers that are apparently enjoying themselves, in your mind stop in a conscious manner the false association of smoking making activities more enjoyable. The reality is that the only reason why smokers smoke, is to avoid withdrawl symptoms. This is nothing to feel deprived about. To the contrary, smoking makes all activities *LESS* enjoyable.

Once you make this mental correction, look carefully again at what you are seeing. You will then realize that the non-smokers are actually having a better time with their activities than the smokers.

Non-smokers always are more relaxed and enjoy themselves more in all situations and activities because they do not have to smoke every 20 minutes, physically look better (no gray face and less wrinkles), have more energy, in general have better health, and are able to enjoy much more food and drinks (much better senses of taste and smell).

Cristóbal

• Like 1