Colonoscopy disaster-OMG!

Hi quit buddies. I haven't been on the board for a few days because I've been in the hospital! You may have seen an earlier post where I talked about having my first colonoscopy scheduled for this past Monday. I got a new primary care MD and since quitting smoking, I've been catching up on routine medical stuff, working out 5-6 days per week and taking better care of myself.

This test was another thing I'd avoided so I went ahead with it on Monday at 7am. I got through it OK and the doctor removed 3 small polyps from the colon. I went home around 9:30 and thought I'd get some sleep since there was little sleep to be had Sunday night following the prep you have to do. Those who've had it know what I'm talking about; those who haven't will be spared the details. I could not rest and felt very weird which I attributed to the anesthesia. I went ahead and started packing for the work trip I was to go on the next day- a 5-hour drive with my Exec Director to a meeting. I started feeling worse and worse and developed a pain in my stomach and started having chills. When I began shaking, looked at the temperature reading in my bedroom which read 81 degrees and I was freezing, I knew something was terribly wrong.

The discharge instructions stated the conditions under which you should go to the emergency department and it was clear I needed to go. From there, so much happened but I'll spare all of you the gory details. The bottom line is I experienced a rare complication from the colonoscopy (post-polypectomy electrocoagulation syndrome) and had to be hospitalized for 2 days.

This syndrome mimics the symptoms of a bowel perforation, so that was what was suspected in the ED. As I'm laying there in the hospital I have worked at for 32 years, now a patient and seeing things from a different perspective, many thoughts came to mind. My state of expanded consciousness was probably also enhanced by the fever but I was aware that it was possible I could die and I didn't want to. I thought about how I had smoked for so long and treated my body with such disrespect. I was deeply sorry for having done this.

Later, lying in my hospital room, I also thought about how glad I was that I don't smoke anymore and how not too long ago, it would have been an issue- wanting to smoke even though I felt so terrible and not being able to, having to admit that I was a smoker the many times you get asked that question in a medical setting.

I couldn't have anything by mouth for about 36 hours- not even a sip of water. All fluids were IV along with medications. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't that bad. Once you know eating and drinking are off limits, if you can just accept that, you don't think much about it. I thought about how that's the same thing with smoking. If smoking is off the table, and you fully accept that fact, you really don't crave it much at all. That kind of how it's been for the last few weeks. I do think about smoking but not so much about wanting to smoke- more like thinking, "Wow- I really did it- I've quit smoking!" Or " This is a time when I used to like having a smoke".

I'll knock it off now- sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to let you all know I'm OK (now!) and am most definitely keeping the quit. Doreen was so sweet to check in with me by personal message when I'd been absent from the board for a few days. That meant a lot to me, so thanks, Doreen. You're the best!

Wishing you all peace in your hearts, comfort in your bodies, ease with your quits,

PeaceTrain

• Like 7

WOW PT - that's crazy  :o  Hope you are recovering fully now. Weird stuff can happen in a medical situation that is deemed to be pretty normal and safe. A friend of mine's sister died having a wisdom tooth pulled. Just one of those crazy anomalies that happen from time to time without warning.

Sounds like the whole experience hardened you resolve to quit though so that's something positive. Glad you're OK and still quit. You are for sure doing the best thing possible for your health by quitting the smokes :)

• Like 1

How awful..what a frightening experience ,with something that we hope would be a straight forward procedure..

Although nwe are told of the unexpected scde effects..it is very rare this happens..

Thankfully you are well on the mend..and it's good to see you back on board...

Not having all those horrible urges for a smoke...and could recover peacefully...

Welcome back peace train ..xxxx

• Like 2

Oh my God how terrible. I just recently was subjected to a colonoscopy (before me time AKA 50 year oil change LOL) due to tummy issues. Thankfully it went fine no polyps at all. I am glad you are ok how upsetting but Yes thank God you no longer smoke.

• Like 1