You get what you want

Jonny5

If you want to be free from cigarettes, and you want to be happy about it, You will be

If you want to smoke, You will, and if you want to feel like you've given up something of value, you also will.

I can't stress enough that the difference between all of our quits is mindset alone.

We are all nicotine addicts, I don't believe that any of us are more or less of an addict, and I don't believe that any of us are a special exception.

sometimes it takes positive thinking, sometimes it takes having the guts to push through our own personal discomfort, sometimes it takes time.

but in all cases it takes personal commitment and focus to really succeed, and I do believe that each of us is capable.

• Like 10

So these guys had it wrong the whole time, huh?

:P

In all seriousness, Jonny's right and in The Sarge's case, it took all three:

"... sometimes it takes positive thinking, sometimes it takes having the guts to push through our own personal discomfort, sometimes it takes time."

Easy Peasy

• Like 5

Couldn't agree more Jonny. It really is about mindset. If you believe something will happen, it will. If you think negatively about your quit, you will have a negative/rough experience. Think positively, have faith in yourself, and you will succeed. Everyone has a rough day... the only thing that matters is how you deal with those rough days. 

• Like 2

Positive thinking is what it's all about.  At first, I made myself think positively and it wasn't long before it became natural.  After a while, I didn't have to think about thinking positively, I just did automatically.  Once this started to happen, my quit stopped being difficult and I started to actually enjoy it.  

• Like 1

Positive thinking is what it's all about.  At first, I made myself think positively and it wasn't long before it became natural.  After a while, I didn't have to think about thinking positively, I just did automatically.  Once this started to happen, my quit stopped being difficult and I started to actually enjoy it.  

I realy understand the enjoyment part you speak of.

I absolutely love not smoking.

after being so trapped and the freedom is heavenly

• 4 years later...
On 4/22/2014 at 9:31 AM, Jonny5 said:

If you want to be free from cigarettes, and you want to be happy about it, You will be

If you want to smoke, You will, and if you want to feel like you've given up something of value, you also will.

I can't stress enough that the difference between all of our quits is mindset alone.

We are all nicotine addicts, I don't believe that any of us are more or less of an addict, and I don't believe that any of us are a special exception.

sometimes it takes positive thinking, sometimes it takes having the guts to push through our own personal discomfort, sometimes it takes time.

but in all cases it takes personal commitment and focus to really succeed, and I do believe that each of us is capable.

Personal commitment

Positive thinking,

Pushing through discomfort (embracing the suck),

Time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my previous quit I was suffering. I was missing the cigarettes and was saying it loud, I also wanted to be different than other ex-smokers who seemed to hate nicotine. That was the most ridicilo, stupid and harmful approach possible. In my head I was a smoker, regardless of the level of nicotine in my body. This time my mindset is completely different and here I am, six months clean and free. It IS all in the head. And it doesn’t mean disregard or downplaying; on the contrary, it’s more scary when our mind is a slave, but the sooner we get it, the better targeted our attack and defense will be, we will know where to concentrate the forces. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, brand.new.ela said:

In my previous quit I was suffering. I was missing the cigarettes and was saying it loud, I also wanted to be different than other ex-smokers who seemed to hate nicotine. That was the most ridicilo, stupid and harmful approach possible. In my head I was a smoker, regardless of the level of nicotine in my body. This time my mindset is completely different and here I am, six months clean and free. It IS all in the head. And it doesn’t mean disregard or downplaying; on the contrary, it’s more scary when our mind is a slave, but the sooner we get it, the better targeted our attack and defense will be, we will know where to concentrate the forces. 

I love you ela.  my mind is free from nicotine addiction.  and as you very well know, freedom is delicious.  You are so right on.  Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Those two different experiences were the best lesson, better than anything you can read or hear. And it doesn’t mean changing the mindset is easy. When we follow certain patterns for years they become automatic and we can’t really say where do they start and where end, but knowing that triggers are psychological and not physical reactions is already a huge step and a bigger chance of success. 

• Like 1

Yes ela...yes. I was thinking of the movie matrix and once the old fake reality began unraveling, it was the beginning. Our mind us something else. 

• Like 1