The over 40 crowd.....

Soberjulie

When gasoline finally hit a dollar a gallon, I remember how gas stations would put paper cutouts on their signs for the "1".

Gas pumps also had to be changed out because they did not have facilities for the third didget.

It was all mechanical in those days and very expensive to upgrade.

ROTFL!!  Julie, i am SO sending this to my kids!!!

My youngests phone was run over by the forklift at work Friday (their freight day) so she skype's me on her laptop -in a tizzy - cuz

it's  "such a freaking hassle mom " to get a new phone - of course it's all the fork lift drivers fault that she's have'n to "suffer", so by all rights the company should give her time off to get a new one, but of course they wont, and it "just takes SO long!!"... i said "ok, well hon, you're off work now, why don't you get off here, go get yourself a new phone and call me back?".. she say's (and i'm not kidding)  " but i don't want to waist my day off like that- i want someone to bring me a new phone"    :blink:

OMG Lace...I just read a funny this morning about this.....now I gotta go find it for you!! 

our mom didnt yell at us to come home she had an old school bell she would ring that and we knew to get home now or else  . you could hear that bell for miles away  but i agree with all of you  i rember all of this well :D 

• Like 1

our mom didnt yell at us to come home she had an old school bell she would ring that and we knew to get home now or else  . you could hear that bell for miles away  but i agree with all of you  i rember all of this well :D 

Your parents must have grown up with Sarge's, Jimmy.

Coach's whistle hanging off the front porch doorknob but ... yeah-same thing.

Only 'bout a half-mile range on the whistle, though - and if you were inside when the whistle was blown and couldn't hear it, you were screwed.

Easy Peasy

• Like 2

Oh yes, home before the street lights come on, I remember that!

Like most I never dared test the waters, not that I'd get a smack....much, much worse conciseness. Mine would be not being able to sleep at my nanny's on the Friday and Saturday. Only ever happened once in my whole childhood and it really was lesson learnt.

Do you remember building dens and swinging on a homemade rope swing over streams. Nat bites everywhere but we never so much as batted an eyelid did we?

Then learning to do the 'double dutch' skipping craze. We really did have a wonderful time as kids didn't we? Mind you my two have only just stopped playing out at 14.

• Like 1

Yep... I had it pretty similar too....

Where I grew up we had woodlands and fields that would ride our dirt bikes on in the nice weather, snow mobiles in the winters and we could go for miles from one end of the county to the other.  This same area is very much the same today, but these same properties are all now " No Trespassing " and " Private Property ".  Kids today do not have the same allowances as we had, and it is not always their fault... Every is worried of being sued.

If we missed our curfew mother would be hounding the village looking for us, the village was so small all the neighbours grassed on us - hence my tree climbing improved and we were going to get a whack anyways so might as well stay up there longer lol

our neighbour tied a bell to their pear tree as you could lean over the wall and give them babies a good tug and off you ran - we never ate the fruit we just wanted to see the old lady run  :blink:

enough said and I am not admitting i am in the over 40`s club  :P

• Like 1

And how many of you can still remember what that warm water out of the hose tasted like?? LOL.. cuz there was no such thing as going in to get something cold to drink...now days if it's not cold AND filtered we'd hear  "OMG are you try'n to kill me !?!  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

And how many of you can still remember what that warm water out of the hose tasted like?? LOL.. cuz there was no such thing as going in to get something cold to drink...now days if it's not cold AND filtered we'd hear  "OMG are you try'n to kill me !?!  :rolleyes:

Wait...we can get cold water now? 

• Like 2

I remember my dad chasing me out the house because I dared to answer back, once he caught me, I can tell you I never answered back again lol,  if that happened today, parents would be threatened with Social Services, didn't do me any harm whatsover, I still refer to my elders as Mr & Mrs, say please and thank you, wait until I am spoken to , hold open doors, and try to be pleasant and polite, I hope my children learn from example, they certainly seem to be,  :)

• Like 5

Cold Beer.

Ridiculous colonial.

LMAO, your just jealous because a colonial invented the refrigerator, right?

I had a really hard time drinking beer in London, and had a hell of a time getting anything served cold there, in fact I had to practically beg for ice cubes. Yes, I am a totally ridiculous colonial, and my mother was French Canadian, but we colonials like our beer cold.

Besides, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, silly Brits.

I remember:

Getting our first phone at age 5.

Getting our first TV at age 6 (Black and white) with 3 channels to watch.

Getting our first Color TV a few years after that (we were uptown then!).

We got up in the morning, and if there wasn't school, we were outside until lunch time, then back outside until supper, then back outside until dark.

Packs of neighborhood kids having fun.

AM radio.

McDonalds? Hah! Had to drive 60 miles to a McDonalds.

Setting on the front porch in the summertime because there was no airconditioning and it was too danged hot to be inside.

Sleeping on the front porch for the same reason.

Never heard of a knee replacement.

Johny Carson was fantastic.

Cars big enough they could make 5 modern cars from just one car from back then.

The principle having a BIG paddle with holes in it and not being afraid to use it quite often.

If somebody had to 'call your parents', being afraid of going home because of the punishment waiting.

Didn't have a single friend who had a bicycle helmet, and each and every one of them still have their brains.

Playing in the creek.

Making snow forts, snow tunnels, snow men, and sledding down steep hills head first.

Ice skating on a frozen lake.

Walking to school over a mile away.

• Like 6

I was born with a silver spoon up my ass. It took a lot of concentrated effort to grind away and discard all that privilege to become the degenerate no account hand to mouth tooth and claw you all know and love so much. I doubt I spoil my kid much. The thrill I get from watching him tote feed bags from truck to barn and lugging rocks out of the garden in 5 gallon buckets is indescribably satisfying.

Just enough work to know it ain't a cakewalk; not enough work to cause him to want to grow up and be an accountant.

• Like 2

I grew up in the back streets of Liverpool.....we were lucky to have any spoon at all l.ol.

Played 2 balls up the wall with your dress tooked up your knickers...

Your socks had more darn than sock....

Your cardigan sleeves were darned at the elbows....

My two elder brothers got me in so much trouble....blamed me for everything...

Nice thick army coats on the beds.....

Had dripping buttes during the day to fill you up.....

When top and whip were the latest toy....

My mum winning first prize at bingo.......a sponge mop......

• Like 2

I grew up in the back streets of Liverpool.....we were lucky to have any spoon at all l.ol.

Played 2 balls up the wall with your dress tooked up your knickers...

Your socks had more darn than sock....

Your cardigan sleeves were darned at the elbows....

My two elder brothers got me in so much trouble....blamed me for everything...

Nice thick army coats on the beds.....

Had dripping buttes during the day to fill you up.....

When top and whip were the latest toy....

My mum winning first prize at bingo.......a sponge mop......

Did you know any of the Beetles?

The first three digits of our telephone number weren't digits; they were Amherst 6, etc.

A chair by the phone cause the phone didn't move more than 3 feet. And. . .the curly wire on the phone was ALWAYS tangled up beyond belief.

3 channels to watch on the television. And you had to get up and change the channel each time.And children didn't get to decide. Lawrence Welk; those stupid bubbles and big dresses! Every musical ever created. The leprosy scene in Ben Hur. . .every year, "there, did you see it?"

Getting regularly beat up by Sandy, the tallest girl in 6th grade. No mention of the word "bully." Mom teaching me how to hold my fists and throw a punch.

Things I do not hear from parents these days:

"Be home before the street lights come on." 

"Do you WANT a spanking?" Then we went out back and picked out our own switch and went back in to the house for a spanking. We learned early to NEVER pick the smallest switch!

"You will sit there until that plate is clean, do you hear me? " Liver and onions six hours later. Ugh.

Bedtime at 9 pm on school nights until I was 15.

Hot breakfasts every morning.

• Like 2