SOS here

Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, I am new to quitting and certainly not as wise about such things as others here on the train, but here is my amateur advice.

Think of something that you really enjoy doing, and that takes a lot of time to do, and do it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Evelyn how are you doing?  You need to overcome your thoughts of smoking, because thats all it actually is, inside your mind a little thought of smoking is there, if you give it any space at all it will grow and grow until it consumes your whole mind, yes that is annoying , don't allow it to get to that stage, do something else, occupy yourself in a different way, concentrate on breathing deeply, drink a glass of ice cold water and before you realise it that thought has gone,

• Like 1

You did smashing Evelyn....

The crave comes from the same section as impulse and emotion (among other things) and you beautifully refused....you turned what first feels like a command into a logical choice of NOPE. I don't know if in the past you run off emotions and impluses? I know I did, and if you did too you have proved you can take calm logical control and NOPE. You must be both very pleased and proud.

How's things now? Are you busy enjoying the company of your friend?

• Like 1

This is a 5 minute timer link:

http://ipadstopwatch.com/timer.html#

This is what I used, particularly the first 5 days, off and on. When the "I HAVE to smoke crave comes, start the timer. Eat sunflower seeds, etc. and post your SOS. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CHAIR. Watch the timer. The physical crave will be gone by 5 minutes. You will then read our responses and start to feel better in the head, too. Remember this: YOU WILL NOT EXPLODE.

I truly thought I would if I wasnt able to smoke; turns out I didn't. lol!

• Like 2

Hi Evelyn,

You seem to be very proactive in looking after your wellness by getting treatment, following your doctor's advice etc.  Does your doctor want you to quit smoking right now?

Yes my house doc highly advises me to quit smoking due my severe asthma

I am okay this morning got a craving after small cup of coffee- NO COFFEE anymore and physically nicotine is out of my body. That's another reason not to light on up it's ALL OUT I have to keep going and don't act emotional and impulsive when I have a craving.

• Like 1

Good morning Evelyn!

I think that you are right. The key to beating the craving is NOT to get emotional. Just ride the wave - and keep very calm. Deep breaths, sips of water, and a distraction - and the crave will pass. Nobody ever died because of a crave!