The Forever Fear!

Ladybug

I think that one of the components to that "fear" of never smoking again is related to the feeling of loss.

Cigarettes in many ways were our companions, our friends, our escapes, our link to others, our door to conversations, etc............and one day we gather the courage to let go of that friend..........................which was simply a wolf disguised as a sheep............not a friend.

We must learn to be our own companion, our own friend, escape within in order to feel free, open healthy doors to conversations with others................

Quitting is a journey indeed, a journey through Freedom and a journey of discoveries.

• Like 3

The Sarge believes that "forever" is kinda the whole point.

Easy Peasy

Yup.

For me, 'forever' was always scary.

Fortunately - I am quite dim -

so I liked Cristobal's explanation that all I had to do was pledge to take Not One Puff Ever..just for today. And keep doing that. He promised that if I did that enough times - I would want to smoke less and less. 

Going OK so far :)

• Like 3

Great post Ladybug!

So many fears, and so many lies are wrapped up in this addiction.

When we can finally confront the lies and the fears we see addiction for what it really is.

We realize that we think this way because we are addicts.

Quitting smoking is the way to confront the addiction, and learning about it and discovering yourself 

is a good way to stay clean.

Markus

Yeah that "forever" thing stops alot of people & even tho with more quit time try to tell those early quitters that in time forever isn't an issue they are afraid to believe. :rolleyes: 

Yep exactly, that forever thing Beth. I remember standing in the kitchen, conjuring up this quit I have now...looking down the road. What I saw was that I could do it but would change me, I remember thinking, how will I make it, what will I be?

That's the part we get to make up as we go and keep the quit. You don't look at the great things, like I'll be free...that junkie wants to pull you back before you make a mistake and dump him...