Increased anxiety?

With the exception of my 2 cig stumble last month, I've been smoke free since January. I'm done smoking, feeling secure with my quit. It's starting to really disgust me.

But my anxiety has gotten out of control since January. DH thinks I need to go back on anti-anxiety meds, I would prefer not to. I've been off of them for over 2 years and had been able to control it myself, until January.

I'm wondering if the increased anxiety is related to quitting? Did anyone else have this "side effect"? And if so, does it go away on its own? I need my brain to quiet down, bc it's driving me crazy!

• Like 2

I suffered from sever anxiety when I quit smoking.  I suppose I always had anxiety to some degree but it really got so much worse after quitting. Not manageable at all.  I finally went to my doctor and I was prescribed a medication for it and it really helped a lot.  I don't take it now, but I would if I felt like my anxiety was affecting my quality of life.

I guess what I am saying is that it's not uncommon at all to be feeling the way you are.  Many of us did.  The good news is that over time your body and mind will completely adjust to this smoke free lifestyle and anxiety related to the quit will be gone.  Don't be afraid to do what you need to in order to maintain your quit.  

BTW, you're doing an amazing job!

• Like 4

I had to go on anxiety meds and antidepressants because of the anxiety and depression from quitting. The good news as Jenny has said it your body will stabilize. I have now come off the medicine and i have taken up running to get those feel good enzymes back.

I would go and speak to your GP, and hang in there.

• Like 2

Today I felt all fired up, I had to wait for my dinners being delivered and could'nt go out walking on the beach. I was really fired up. With this meds I need to get my energy out ;) same with anxiety

Hiya, Yep, increased anxiety, probably for a few months and it seemed a lot of people said the same. 

I added in a lot of breathing techniques and added some more spiritual type practises and exercise too. Can you try any of those? I think we need to create new and healthier mood lifts, something to do with endorphins and finding better ways to manage when things don't go well. It's all just new but it will pass as time passes.

In honesty I had been avoiding dealing with a lot of life and I hid behind smoking, once I started to face down the actual problems (a bit at a time), my anxiety naturally reduced. I'm sure yours will too. 

x

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James,

I'm glad you brought this up because anxiety affects a lot of people.  Whether it's due to quitting or not really isn't relevant because the bottom line is your anxiety is back and out-of-control and you're not going to start smoking again so if it were me, I'd go see your doctor about it.  There is no sense in letting anxiety remain uncontrolled because it can become debilitating.  Nicotine causes anxiety so there's that too.  :) 

By the way, welcome to QuitTrain and congrats on quitting smoking.  Never take another puff!!!