Cputer crap

bakon

So desk top going to the dumpster. Two days of messing and no further along.

Walk into HH Greg- no desktops. Stand alones. Don't need speakers or screen so just want that big ass box everything plugs into.

Go down street to Best Buy. Got them. Priced from 200-1000. Don't use for anything a monkey couldn't do so need a low end one.

But those all in one stand alones looking good. No wires for mouse or keyboard. Plus it's only double the cost of what I really need. What a deal.

So take it home. Plug it in. Get back up loaded ( I am village idiot but I do got a few cells firing.) pictures safe. Music good. Get quicken working mostly- think their site is down. Won't update with bank but give that a day ....

Now to email. Bough office for student. No outlook. Tried Windows 10 Mail. No junk mail folder or spam? 4180 emails? This is not going to work.

Anyone got email idea? I need some folders to organize and save important emails- don't look like Mail does that either. Also no contact list?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Also don't want to buy office every year, can I buy it once and use it longer than year?

• Like 1

I only know a little.  You don't have to upgrade every year,

I am still working on a laptop with Windows 7, :P

Neanderthal and Proud !

I have never gotten Windows to do the email thing so I have Google Chrome as the server and use regular GMail or Yahoo for emails

both of which give you folders, storage, address book, calendar

but, I like gmail best because I find it easier to read and not as many ads.

Install an anti virus program, there are lots of free ones, I have McAfee but I am mad at them for their pop up ad/reminder crap.

If you are on message boards often, install a cleaner program like CCleaner to tidy up, at least once daily.  I have the free version.

Get an ad blocker there are lots of free ones, maybe it's just me but, the ads do my head in !

I have learned by trial and mostly error

and found useful information from

Kim Komando, America' Digital Godess

She used to be on the radio here

and her website is the bomb.

Eye candy too, if that interests you at all.   :)

• Like 1

So desk top going to the dumpster. Two days of messing and no further along.

Walk into HH Greg- no desktops. Stand alones. Don't need speakers or screen so just want that big ass box everything plugs into.

Go down street to Best Buy. Got them. Priced from 200-1000. Don't use for anything a monkey couldn't do so need a low end one.

But those all in one stand alones looking good. No wires for mouse or keyboard. Plus it's only double the cost of what I really need. What a deal.

So take it home. Plug it in. Get back up loaded ( I am village idiot but I do got a few cells firing.) pictures safe. Music good. Get quicken working mostly- think their site is down. Won't update with bank but give that a day ....

Now to email. Bough office for student. No outlook. Tried Windows 10 Mail. No junk mail folder or spam? 4180 emails? This is not going to work.

Anyone got email idea? I need some folders to organize and save important emails- don't look like Mail does that either. Also no contact list?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Also don't want to buy office every year, can I buy it once and use it longer than year?

Did you buy Geek Squad coverage?  It is kinda expensive, but I think it is worth it.  If you did, call them and tell them what you want, and they will do it for you.  If you didn't buy the coverage, you might want to consider adding it.  Even when I am not having problems, I call them every 3 months or so, and they get on my computer remotely and do a tune up.  And if you do have problems, they will fix them!

I have a version of Office that I do not have to pay annually, but it no longer includes Outlook email.

• Like 1

I have Nancy's version. Got to go buy the one up from it. I am secretary for a Blue Knights chapter so I send and receive stupid amounts of info. Also have groups which send out batch emails.

As for shoot it, try to never have to clean gun, old

Fashioned I guess but I believe a good beating cured most problems.

Microsoft Office: You do not need to spend this money.

I stopped using Microsoft Office in 2007-8, once I learned that there are others options.

Everything that is in Microsoft Office, can now be gotten free from other places, and it does the *EXACT SAME THING* !!!

Start with Mozilla Thunderbird for email......it does the exact same thing as Microsoft Outlook:  DOWNLOAD FOR USA ENGLISH -  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Then continue with LibreOffice for everything else that you may find in Microsoft Office...it does the exact same thing as all the Microsoft Office programs:  DOWNLOAD FOR USA ENGLISH - https://www.libreoffice.org/

Do not waste any more money !!!

• Like 3

Got it figured out. Just getting all old contacts to send an email so we can add them to address book

We really only lost that. Everything else was backed up

• Like 1