Myths and truths....

I know this topic has been covered many times before and I could bump an old thread but I find the very act of thinking if and debunking the smoking myth can be helpful to reinforce your quit, especially if your quit is new or maybe a little weak.

So, think of a myth that people believe about quitting and then debunk it. Me first....

Myth: quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin

Fact: I'll take some painless but slightly uncomfortable few days of nicotine withdrawal over agonising excruciating heroin withdrawal thanks.

Myth: I'm a 'smoker for life', I can't quit.

Truth: I'm a smoker for death. Quitting holds this mystery around it but in fact the premise is very simple. Choose life and never take another puff.

Your turn...

• Like 8

Myth:  In order to quit, I have to take off work and hide in my house as I will be a raving lunatic for awhile.

Fact:  Quitting can bring up all sorts of emotions.  Many emotions are positive:  joy, pride, happiness. There is no reason to "miss" smoking.  It's an addiction.  Go out and live your life knowing you beat it

• Like 3

Myth: That first cigarette of the day helps wake me up while that last cigarette before bed helps me relax so I can sleep.

Fact: The first and last cigarettes of the day are identical to one another.  It is impossible for one to be a stimulant and the other a relaxant.

• Like 4

Myth: I won't be fun anymore because I won't be able to hang out with my friends to drink and smoke

Fact: Smoking doesn't add anything to the party. You can still be with your friends as a nonsmoker. Smoking does not define the friendship

• Like 4

Myth: I miss the 'ah' moment

Truth: the 'ah' moment didn't happen all the time anyway and truthfully I hated smoking. The few 'ah' moments were my body responding to nicotine withdrawal on the odd occasions I actually went over a couple of hours between smokes. It was entirely a product of satisfying the nicotine withdrawal. I was a slave to nicotine using 'ah' to persuade myself it was a choice.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Myth:  I'm not even going to try to quit because I am much more addicted than the average smoker.

Truth:  All addicts are equal.  There are no special snowflakes.  Anyone can overcome this addiction with NOPE.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Smoking helps me concentrate.

I enjoy smoking (not realizing that I have to smoke to be comfortable)

So true,

I NEED to smoke, I die without nicotine. (kinda drama :P )

No I don't need nicotine AT ALL< I need to kick off so I break the cycle of cravings, which keeps me captive... I don't want to be captive.