New member as of today...

I just saw that somebody posted to introduce yourself here.. I already did on a blog but here goes.

Hi Everybody, I have not quit yet, I am getting mentally prepared.. my quit date is May 29th, that will be the 21st day for me of being wine/alcohol free.  I had to deal with that first as it's a huge trigger for me and I drank every day.  It was easier than I thought to quit drinking, I hope quitting smoking will be that way but something tells me it won't be.  Has anybody tried e-cigarettes and do they help? 

I smoke about 10 cigs a day.  Misty 120 Menthol Ultra lights.  I smoke the long ones as I smoke about 1/2 of it then put it out and go back for the other half.  I smoke more when I am in the car as I have to smoke it all.. heaven forbid I waste 1/2 of a perfectly good cigarette.  I live with a non smoker and can go a long time without a cigarette.  We do a lot of things together when I don't even take my cigs with me and nobody in my family smokes.. as a matter of fact, I don't have any friends that smoke any more.  My best friend died a year and a half ago.  She had a stroke, died of massive heart attack 3 months later and she smoked like a chimney, was only 62.  (caution, graphic description coming)  The last time I saw her somewhat alive she had 6 bags of fluids being pumped in to her in Intensive Care, blood coming from her nose and ears and out of every needle prick in her body.  Now you would THINK that picture alone would be enough for somebody to give quitting serious effort right??  Losing her was horrible and even after she had a stroke she didn't quit completely, that is how insidious this habit and addition is. 

Well, we all think those things won't happen to us..  but it can and it does so here I go.. ready or not this HAS to happen for me. 

So, my question is...  I know everybody is different, but is cold turkey better?  I have a feeling it will be for me!!  How do you handle back sliding??  do e-cigarettes have any value? 

Thanks to all of you for everything.. so far what I have seen on the site its exactly what I need. 

Gloworm

• Like 3

Welcome Gloworm,

There is no 'right' way to quit.  Everyone takes their own path.

I quit Cold Turkey because I wanted to get it over with

and not have withdrawal again from nicotine replacements.

That sounds like slow torture to me.

Take one day,  one minute at a time.

You are going to love the overwhelming benefits of your journey.

S

Hi and welcome to this magical place...

You have to want to quit..more than you want to smoke....

I took a few slogans on board...never stick anything in your mouth ,and set fire to it..

Smoking is not on the table...ever...

Read all you can about this addiction...it is your weapon...

It's doable...we all here prove that...

Hi Glo. Welcome to our little Quit Train. There is a ton of information available to you to help you quit. Check out the newbie package, it really is good reading. As everyone else says, how you choose to quit us personal choice though we can all add our opinions.

When it comes down to it, there are 2 elements to a quit.

1) the physical addiction to nicotine

2) the mental addiction - the habit.

Well, however you look st it, you are always going to have to go through number 1 eventually whether you postpone it by using patches, inhalators e-cigs etc. Eventually, you will go cold turkey anyway. I personally am an advocate for cold turkey because that's what worked for me. Also, to add just my thoughts on ecigs. I tried em once but I didn't quit, I just used them to alternate when I smoked. I found I used them more because I could skip it in my bag and have one everywhere. If you are regularly going long periods of time without then why do something to increase your nicotine use?

Now the mental addiction... Well that's a different game. I think eventually every successful quitter has something 'click' in their mind they realise it's pretty easy on one level. Simply don't smoke. Smoking literally has no positives and numerous negatives. But this really only comes with education and it has to be learned by you. We can offer guidance and support and be a much needed sound board but you have to 'make the quit your own' so to speak.

I wish you every success in your quit and look forward to helping, supporting and guiding wherever you may ask for it. In the meantime, read, read, read and adopt a positive attitude. Try to change every crave into a positive and you will be most the way there. Happy quitting!!

• Like 1

Welcome glowworm (the name cracks me up by the way :))

In my opinion cold turkey, get it all out there asap no puffing, no nicotine

One step at a time and lots of support

Read and watch videos, get educated on nicotine addiction and make your decision on fact based

Whatever you decide we will support you

Hi welcome! I think however you choose to quit is good. I used the patches for four months. I am not sure if they helped but I was afriad to do it on my own. I also got help from the forum and reading alot about quitting on the internet and books. I faced each day and worked hard to stay quit until I went to bed.

Welcome aboard gloworm.  

If you found quitting drinking easier than expected, I suspect you may find quitting smoking far easier than you expect.  It's not as difficult as it is often made out to be and you expressed that you can "go a long time without a cigarette."  You have refrained from smoking while feeling some symptoms of withdrawal before, so you have practice already.  The withdrawal symptoms are agitators but have no real power...and they go away in a matter of minutes.  If you don't re-introduce nicotine into your system for three-days, you will be free of the poison.  It's all mental after that and education about the myths and lies of cigarettes will help you conquer the psychological aspects of quitting.

As far as e-cigs go...My advice would be to commit to cold turkey first.  I have no personal experience with vaping, but it makes sense to me to simply go ahead and get it done.  Ultimately the route you choose is a matter of personal preference, but cold turkey is so simple.

Congratulations on making a great decision for yourself.  You will reap many benefits from quitting.

Gosh... thank you everyone for all your suggestions and comments.  These next 4 days and beyond I will spend on educating myself and being positive.  When I get up now to go have a puff or two I wonder what I will do when I don't have that.  I hope I don't eat... I think i'll start a puzzle and when the urge hits I'll go do that instead.  Beyond that I am clueless but i'll figure it out.  maybe take a spin around the block on my bike?

anyway, I am thankful for finding this site.  I think writing like this is therapeutic and reading everybody else's posts helps me understand the process better.  50 years of smoking... but I won't have 50 years smoke free so I better enjoy the next (I hope) 20 years. 

• Like 3

Welcome, Gloworm!

Just one additional piece of advice...there is no such thing as backsliding.  It is not backsliding, it is you making a conscious decision to smoke.  It is not an accident, it is a decision.

As others have said, just stick to Not One Puff Ever.  You can do this!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Quittrain!    My opinion is that the method of quitting is not nearly as important as your level of commitment is.  The only way to be successful is to commit to never smoking again, no matter what.  You'll be faced with some challenging moments but if you put the work in you can get through to the other side and the other side is a beautiful place to be.  

So happy to have you with us!   You can do this.  

Cold turkey YES is the best, the rest is in my eyes lies. Caz your still hooked on nicotine. I 'sugarcrushed' myself the first 3 days now almost off sugar :) the sugar (or juice, better option if possible) keeps your bloodsugar up which is a mainsymptom of withdrawls. ;)

Hey now, Gloworm.

If you are stressing because 'tomorrow is THE day'

you can always quit NOW and save yourself another day of Poison.

Stock up on juices and crayons  :) .

and Post a lot, about anything at all.

Games (like chicks and sticks etc) are good distractions

and we are all here to help.

Remember, you can do just about ANYTHING you want to,

Just DON'T SMOKE

and don't forget to have FUN.

Love,

S

I have decided to wait until Friday.. that is my official 21 days of being alcohol free.  I know, it may seem like I am dragging my feet but I am not.. I had suggestions from my family and friends and they told me to not pile too much on at one time especially since smoking and drinking go hand in hand for me.   I am just now getting over major crankiness from booze so I would like to feel a little normal for a couple days anyway.  haha!!   I also ordered a book somebody mentioned here by Allen Carr.. that comes tomorrow.  I have read all kinds of rave reviews of it really helping people.. like millions of people quit smoking.

anyway, thanks for asking you guys..  in the mean time I have cut down to 5-6 a day and don't take them with me anyplace I go.  We'll be gone all afternoon and honestly I get by those times that I can't smoke pretty well as long as I don't have them with me.  I have 3 packs left so on Friday they'll get tossed.  I think cold turkey is my only way. 

• Like 2

Cold turkey is how I did it (and many others), and it's what I whole heartedly recommend.

Pick a date and stick to it..don't dread it coming, instead look forward to it. Once over the withdraws and cravings, you will wonder why you waited so long. It will be as painful as you allow it to be. I looked at it as a great new beginning. I was days away from retiring, and just could not picture myself chained to that addiction as I tried to enjoy my "golden years". :p ok...not really golden yet, but I wanted to be around long enough to enjoy them with my kids/grandkids...and in good health. ....I really did look forward to the day I as no longer addicted. I never dreaded that day!

I didn't personally read Allen Carrs "The Easy Way" but many here did and swear by it. So, being this is a group of highly intelligent people, I have to agree with them. :D It has been the main reason for countless quits! From what I understand, as long as you read AND understand what he is trying to say, the road to a successful quit will lay ahead of you.

Good luck, and keep us posted. When your day draws near, remind us, and we will offer whatever support we can!

• Like 1

Glow...

I had 52 years of smoking...I read Allen Carr...that book...support here...and knowledge...

This is how I did it...my favourite saying in the whole world...

Smoking is not on the table...ever...my addict brain took this on board...

I can be sitting in chaos....but don't smoke...

Allen Carr says ..smoke as your reading...no need to wait till Friday...just follow his instructions...

You can do it...if in did..so can you...x

• Like 1

I also ordered a book somebody mentioned here by Allen Carr.. that comes tomorrow.  I have read all kinds of rave reviews of it really helping people.. like millions of people quit smoking. 

Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking helped me immensely.  It didn't sink in with me at first, but after I got out of my own way the truths of that book became evident to me.  Carr dispels the myths and lies of the cigarette.  We have to change our perceptual filters when we quit.  A combination of addiction and years of conditioning led us to see smoking as we perceived it rather than what it actually is.  

In addition to that book, I frequented this board and watched several of Joel Spitzer's videos and read the links to articles provided here.  We've never had more educational opportunities than we do right now.

Forward is the way.  Continue putting one foot in front of the other and eventually the path will appear to you.