Differences across the pond....

PorkandPancakes

So I was looking at the food thread and it got me to thinking about my latest dishes. I recently cooked a chicken Tikka Masala from scratch using lots of herbs and spices that I've never used before. Which got me wondering if Americans have Indian Takeaway food like we have here? What kind of takeaways do you have? (I think you call it takeout)

I can contest in Ohio they don't have many Indian restaurants, I brought onion bajhi mix over with me and made them to get my fix, you can get curry paste and some curry sauce but it's mega expensive

Chinese takeaways are more popular so I'm not complaining :)

Other states I'm sure will be different

• Like 1

Do you miss it Tracey? Sometimes a curry and a poppadum just can't be beaten!

Omg do I ever miss it, in the UK my preference was Chinese but now and again a good curry is what you need and when you can't get it you want it more lol

The Chinese here is different, took me 6 takeaways to find something similar and that's not a takeaway it's an all you can eat, like cosmos but unlike cosmos they don't do Indian!

Well I don't know but I hear American choc is sweeter. Apparently lots of Brits will go hunting down uk chocolate?! Tracey should be able to answer having sampled both - at least I assume she has....?!

What other takeouts do you get then apart from Chinese?

Thanks for reminding me. I have an Indian/Mediterranean restaurant right down the street from where I just moved to. I'm going to try the chicken marsala for lunch tomorrow  :)

• Like 1

The chocolate here us totally different, some good some really bad, but hershey which is the American equivalent to Cadbury has brought out Cadbury in th UK not alot of people know that, so over time the Cadbury chocolate we know and love will change as its expensive to produce compare to Hershey recipes

I have noticed more brands over here and nearly wet myself with excitement when I saw a cavity creme egg lol

In my local you can get, twix, m& m peanuts, and kitkat, I figure when the Cadbury recipe change I won't know the difference as I will be slowly weaned off it but will just get excited about the packaging lol

Other takeaways is pizza, normal fast food joints plus hundreds like it

Kebabs are not the same they call them gyros here, lamb, beef or Turkey but it's a better than nothing :)

Back to chocolate, there are websites you can buy it from but pricey, I always bring back flakes for my friend who happens to be Lebanese lol

Lol. It's funny how much we get comfortable with our food. Even our supposedly foreign takeaways seem to be decidedly British the Indian takeaway is not served in India. I guess the Turkish kebabs are a little closer to authentic.

As for the chocolate, I had heard rumours of this. I believe there are campaigns to stop Hershey from changing the recipe over here. They will change it eventually. It just means we will buy galaxy instead!!

• Like 1

For me it's more linked to childhood memories, we used to have a small village shop with a little old ladydy running it, with the glass jars she used to weigh stuff into little white paper bags, so cute :)

Of course we used to abuse her trust and ask for top shelf sweets, then pocket a milkway whilst she was busy...Oh the shame, I can't believe I am confessing to a copper lol

Snickers will always be a marathon to me :)

• Like 1

Lol Tracey. You're confession is safe, you're currently the other side of the world!!

I live in a small town that still has one of those old fashioned sweet shops. Of course, once upon a time it sold cigs too and was easy to get served even age 13!

Thanks for reminding me. I have an Indian/Mediterranean restaurant right down the street from where I just moved to. I'm going to try the chicken marsala for lunch tomorrow  :)

Indian/Mediterranean? Is that what they call it? Indian as in Asian and Mediterranean as in Greek?

In Mexico, we do not have any Indian food.

For take out in the regular sense, we really only have pizza and chinese food. The chinese food here is more authentic than in USA, but not completely like the chinese food in china.

But, we also have several million taco, burrito, seafood and other asadero (cooked on grill) and whole cooked chicken places that are food for take out. The food is cooked quickly, and you can eat it there or take it home.

I have been to UK 3 times, and the fish and chips I had there were wonderful !!!

• Like 3

Ah, fish and chips. Truly British! I went to EPCOT once in Florida. All these wonderful buildings representing other countries. The Eiffel Tower, The Taj Mahal. And how do they represent the UK? Fish and chip shop and a pub. I wasn't sure how I felt about that!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando doesn't do Indian either, my sister lives there and gets us to post packet stuff regularly. Or Nandos, how do they eat Chicken I wonder??

I love the pub in the English bit, they get super excited if you talk with a proper accent too ;)  I ate somewhere else though, can't beat chippy from home! I would love to try an authentic Chinese, bet it's completely different! 

Marathons and Opal Fruits, those were the days :)