Horology

Madheisen

Hello passengers,

How many of you have interests for horology or anything related ?

Honestly I've only started getting into it around November 2015, however I've always owned a watch but never got into detail as I had other priorities.

Now, I just seem to know everything about watch movements, where they were created, who created them and so on but horology is more than that, it actually dates back to the Egyptian times, only starting from there you can truly understand and appreciate a good watch piece, either it being 10 pounds or 10k.

Anyhow, which watches do you guys own? Do we have any collectors here ?

With the money that I'm saving from the bad decision in life, this will be my first luxury watch to celebrate my 1 year quit,

SE_Diver300M_Diver300M_overview_960x720.

Why this one though ?

Well, a few reasons;

1. Most important I love it.
  2. It's a divers watch which suits everything.
  3. I was born on an island so everywhere I looked I would see the sea and now that I'm in London living, it's something that I just miss every single day so it will represent it in a way.
  4. It's an automatic watch, quartz watches are fine, I love them as I use them as my daily beaters but the automatic movements always have the human time put into them and not machines.
  5. It was worn by Mr. James Bond!

So yeah, that's about it. If you guys wish to leave a picture of your wrist watch ,please, do so and if there's history behind it, even better as I'd love to know it.

Also, if you guys fancy some wrist watch talk, I truly recommend this channel called The Urban Gentry, as it is full of class and hosted by a true gentleman that really loves horology.

Thank you,

Carlos

• Like 2

I've been wearing swatches since 1986.  I love them.  Unfortunately they do not last long.  I've never heard of horology until just now.  Sounds interesting and deep.  Thanks for teaching me something new today.

PS

What movie or show is the gif in your sig from?

Hi skillfulabbot,

I'm glad I could teach you something new today,

Now answering your question, it is from Shutter Island, it's one of those movies that twist your brain in a way that you have to watch it twice to understand what really happened.

Thank you,

Carlos

I have several watches and each has its purpose.

First is a LumiNox that my two sons also have same model. It's my work watch and beater. It's an intermediate model but my son proved its tough with an IED in Afghanistan. Only

One market light fell off and three five ton armored vehicles didn't make it.

Second is my Buliva Harley automatic watch. All blacked out. Hard to read unless in good light it is my going out to dinner piece

I have a chrono Tissot in titanium which is cool and and eco drive Citizen in bright silver with black face, also for work or church when dressed up.

Then a few cheaper Fossil and some other brand.

• Like 1

I have several watches and each has its purpose.

First is a LumiNox that my two sons also have same model. It's my work watch and beater. It's an intermediate model but my son proved its tough with an IED in Afghanistan. Only

One market light fell off and three five ton armored vehicles didn't make it.

Second is my Buliva Harley automatic watch. All blacked out. Hard to read unless in good light it is my going out to dinner piece

I have a chrono Tissot in titanium which is cool and and eco drive Citizen in bright silver with black face, also for work or church when dressed up.

Then a few cheaper Fossil and some other brand.

That's a good collection so far if you really like them,

However I would recommend you to add a Seiko SKX007, they're about 200 US Dollars and their heritage is just outstanding,

So, if you wish to add a piece to your collection that has history, is cheap and can go up to 15 years without service, buy the mentioned one.

If you want, have a read about it here, warming, the blogger normally only reviews wrist watches that are over 50 grand so reviewing this ones says 1 thing or 2 about it

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-seiko-skx007-divers-watch

If you ever think about getting a good looking dress watch that screams 80's, go for the Seiko SARB033,

Again an automatic that isn't that expensive and truly looks amazing to my eyes. If you put it on a leather strap even better.

I would add pics but the forum doesn't let me :D

Thank you,

Carlos

Woah how's your son bakon?

Ah... Shutter Island!  I've seen it, but don't remember that particular scene.

Watches are expensive!!  I have one other watch, an original late eighties, Japanese jump comic mail-away watch that was given to me as a gift.  I had to buy new straps for it.  I love it and it is good quality.  My friend said she had to collect a number of stamps from the comic in order to get it and even then it was sort of a lottery type campaign.  I really treasure it.

• Like 2