Two years today

Sunnyside

Today, i have been two years smoke free. I usually write a long post, to give some advice, but I think I have got to the stage now, were I not sure I have anything left to say anymore. That could be much help. So I thought I would just take a look back over my quit. For me the first year was so hard, which I'm sure it is for most, I was just more vocal in my quit. I will always remember that struggle.

The pain has dampened down but I know I struggled and that alone will keep me on the straight and narrow. Year two didn't start off to well, I was still struggling at time's and the urge is still there now but certainly not as much.

The second half of the year has been so much easier I can go for ages with out thinking about smoking at all. Just sometimes I still have a nostalgic moment and think back to how nice it would be, or that is how it makes it look. Luckily the rose tinted glasses are off and whenever I feel myself doing that, I just visualize it for a minute. The smell, the taste. The reality of smoking. It is never the same as the memories try and suggest to me.

So I wonder into the third year, not really sure how I got here as the second year goes so quickly. One day at a time works so well at first but as time goes on you can look further ahead. In fact, that is not right, you don't really look ahead any more. I'm not going through a quit anymore. I have quit. I have to still go by not one puff rule, like everyone here, but I'm free at long last. I'm not looking over my shoulder, I'm in charge of myself. I'm the only one that can throw this all away. So for anyone starting out and thinking it is impossible, it really isn't. You will have to really work for this at time's. But just don't give in. No matter what. Freedom is there. For all of you, if you really want it.

• Like 15

... whenever I feel myself doing that, I just visualize it for a minute. The smell, the taste. The reality of smoking. It is never the same as the memories try and suggest to me.

Great post, especially that bit. Noobs take heed, it works!

• Like 2

.......So for anyone starting out and thinking it is impossible, it really isn't. You will have to really work for this at time's. But just don't give in. No matter what. Freedom is there. For all of you, if you really want it.

Great post.  Thank you.

• Like 1

I am also late, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Two years is so AWESOME!

I love the visualization - did that a lot when the romanticizing tried to kick in.  I would "virtually" smoke and take in all the ugliness about smoking. 

I am so happy we made this decision for ourselves.  Even the tough moments are so totally worth being free!  :)

• Like 1