Hello all from the UK :-)

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the quit train. I am UK based too (buckinghamshire). 

Congrats on making a great choice and on being on day 1 of your new life. Are you using any quit aids or cold turkey (no right or wrong answer I'm just curious). 

Hope to see you posting away and sure others will pop along to welcome you soon.

x

• Like 1

Hi Kathy....we were expecting you...

I'm NOT from the UK , but we all play nice here....lol... :)

If your nice, we will see if Bat will let you sit up front and drive the train.. ( there is no right or wrong side of the road when you drive a train :p )

All kidding aside, welcome !

The best advice I can offer is to read as much as possible and educate yourself... There are a lot of resources here..articles and videos...when the urge to smok grips you, read through the material and it will help you to understand this addiction, which , will help you beat it!

• Like 1

Oh thanks everyone, I'm going cold turkey as of today, I've tried patches etc before, vaping etc. I really appreciate your support as I've been smoking since I was 13 ( Now 40 ) and I'm quiite sure this is not going to be easy. However, I am already liking the idea of popping to and fro in here, as when the cravings kick it is a welcome distraction. Good luck everyone else also :-)

• Like 2

Will be worth getting some fruit juice (cranberry, orange, apple juice, any of them), and take sips every couple of hours to help offset the blood sugar dips and rises. It only last 3 days as the nicotine leaves your system but it can make you feel a bit wonky without. 

I know it can seem daunting at times and my advice is not to think too far ahead but I promise you it's not as hard as you think. It's all about how you set your mind (same as anything in life really) so don't be surprised that some of it feels super easy...try and remember that if it feels a bit tough as points. x

• Like 1

Welcome, Kathy!

So glad you have joined us.  Just make up you mind that there will be no circumstance that will make it okay to smoke.  Quitting is uncomfortable, emotional, occasionally miserable....but it will not kill you, and all of that goes away with time.  You can do this, and your son will be very proud!!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Quittrain Kathy!   Your decision to quit smoking is the best one you will ever make.  I can promise you that if you follow it through, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!  It's so much more doable than we tell ourselves it is.  

:welcome:

• Like 1

Wow !! Really blown away with all the lovely advice and wise words!! I think it will help me popping in to the quit train and thanks everyone!

Stay close to the board and the support, at least for the front side of your quit.  It will help more than you'd anticipated.  

Welcome, Kathy! I'm on day 3 (nicotine almost out of my system yay!) And this forum has helped A LOT! Stay close!

Taking the nope challenge has really kept me going. I go online and pledge to nope first thing in the morning... then later in the day when I think about giving in I just think back to the pledge I already made that day and it seems to ground me.

Also if u are going cold turkey, the fruit juice suggestions are golden. I never realized the blood sugar thing but getting some juice sips ever hour or so seems to help significantly in this withdrawal period!

• Like 1

Hi ;-) Day three. Just about sane ( ish ) again thank you everyone for your support, hope you are all doing well. I will be getting some running gear and a money jar. The plan being every time I would ordinarily buy tobacco, I put the money aside ! Running stuff , just a new focus .. I so want to do this!

• Like 4