The Five Year Relapse?

IndigoChilde

I never heard that....relapse is possible anytime you convince yourself that you will have "just one" because it is going to help you (NOT) deal with some type of stress or problem.

I agree with Nancy...never...take your eye of the prize...

I'm a addict...and can never have ..just one..

I relapsed at 3 years. . . Just got too cocky and thought I could handle being a "social smoker". Guess what, I couldn't and it took me 6 years to try and quit again. Makes me mad, but more determined to make this quit the sticky quit.

And you are doing great.  The addiction keeps telling us lies forever, I guess, but now we know better that to believe it!

• Like 2

If somebody told me that I'd toss it out quicker than a sack of spoiled clams.  The only relapses are those which are planned in advance by entertaining junkie thinking before one actually lights up.

Complacency

Video discussing the importance of not allowing yourself to become complacent after longer term success not smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZSktbwotI4&index=30&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB

Is Relapse A Natural Part Of The Quitting Process?

Discusses potential of long-term relapses after quitting, as well as dispelling the idea that people have to quit multiple times for a quit to be able to finally take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk6OFRO9BY4&index=1&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB

I Know Too Much About Smoking To Ever Relapse

Video discusses how some people may erroneously begin to think that when they fully understand all aspects of smoking and quitting that there is no way that they could ever relapse back to smoking again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMU8ON0G4G0

I will always look over my shoulder, knowing it will creep up on me... NOPE or better NOPNE
NOT ONE PUFF NOT EVER

Counts for some others things in my life too...

There's this brotherlike/friend/ neighbor. He came off heroin, quit drinking and smoking. Heroin he doesn't do anymore AT ANY TIME that is in our language a NOPE. He still ocassionally smokes a cig, usese-cig or smokes hash... he can drink one beer in a few months and not go back to squeare one: BUT PEOPLE these are the ECXEPPTIONS! Once an addict always an addict.

i allow him to use the e-sh*t thing, he inhales and outhaes in his shirt knowing I hate the smell. It's more of a comfort him having anything electric around... 

THIS kinda situations makes it tricky, I can start thinking why not a e-ci*shit??? BULL it's all nicotine lies

To me ALL nicotine is off limit same with bloody energy drank and ancohol: nicotine we all know... energydink messes me up and I'm principle against alcehol since my parents were both alceholic, but I do (new years eve) drink one or two times a year.

I know some people are addicted and some ALSO have an addictive gene messed up thingy, I do

My gf smokes outside, I don't care at all, but the situation with my brother-friend/neighbor is more tricky... still even if I'm in a depressed mood etc.... I remembr NOPE ;)

BTW i hate being addicted to sugar too, 2 days 2 enegrydranks and I'm on high sugar so I'm almost off sugar again and 

OHHHH Also quit the smints stuff.

I did relapse after 10 months, kicked myself up and went o, never looked back but never underrestemate the nicodemon look at now wth the e-s*it I get confused.. alright talked it straight now :P

But we  will always be addicts but a thought is not acting on it or a command to to so :)

Not my favourite word - 'relapse'

It smacks of transference.

As in "there I was, happily non-smoking and whoops I relapsed.."

No. You took a cigarette, put it in your mouth and lit it.

It was a conscious choice. Not an accident.

Still perhaps in three years or so - I'll understand!

What he said ^^^

It's just a rumor.

The truth is much simpler: you can relapse any-damned-time you want, right?

It's a choice, and it doesn't accidentally happen at 5 years (or any other arbitrary time period.)

It's done ON PURPOSE, at the time of your choosing.

You have the *choice*, right?

Choose not to, and you won't.

Ever.

Easy Peasy