Same Question

ChRiSpY

So my Step Dad fell last Sunday and he hurt his neck really bad.  Bad enough that he was in horrible pain and my mom had to call the Ambulance to come get him.  Turns out he had a tumor that had eaten away at his C6 Vertebrae.  It was basically hollow at this point.  Every doctor that came in, and he has like 5 at this point, think that it is Multiple Myeloma.  And Mutiple Myeloma usually always comes from somwhere else.  So the "Same Question" that every single Doctor and every single nurse asked.....  "Did you smoke?"  It gave me chills.... and it scarred me.  He did smoke for many years...but he quit 8 years ago.   I am struggling with why I took the chance and smoked... I am stuggling with the fact that I was soooooo stupid.

We are not sure where is Myeloma has come from at this point.  Still waiting on the results of many many tests that has been done to him.

He had Surgery Wednesday night.  They opened up the front of his neck to get the front of the tumor and then flipped him over and opened up the back of his neck to get the back.  While they were in there they put in a cage... took bone from his hip and put it in the cage along with some bone growth matter.  He is in severe pain and agony so far every day.

Are you lurking... thinking about quitting?  I would do it now... before it is too late.

Don't be stupid.  Cancer sucks.... and it hurts the person that has it as well as everyone that loves that person.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear this Crispy.  Thinking of you and your family.   There are no guarantee's that quitting will prevent us from getting a smoking related disease that is for sure.  Can't erase the past but we can make the future, however long it will be, the best and the best is not the constant roller coaster of nicotine addiction.  

Quit now folks!  Life is so much better/easier as a non smoker

• Like 1

Sarge *knows* he has done permanent, long-term damage to himself. 27 years of 30-a-day doesn't buy a Pass.

The only questions are "When will it show up?" and "How bad will it be?"

The good news is, statistically (barring obvious statistical outliers like your step-pops) - the sooner we quit, the better off we are.

Quit now, folks.

Easy Peasy

• Like 4

Soooooo... the test came back on the tumor and it is cancer (Called Plasmacytoma).  They did a bone marrow test yesterday.  If it comes back positive then it will be Mulitple Myeloma.  I hope and pray that it is not Multiple Myeloma... because he is not strong enough for the treatment.  He was injured in Vietnam and his body is broke.  Not looking for sympathy... just sharing my story of suckness.

That sucks Chrispy...I can relate. (My Mother died before her 40th birthday...smoker, and cancer)

We all have these heart break stories, and can only hope by sharing them, it will actually hit home with someone and be the deciding factor in their decision to quit.

The end result of smoking is ALWAYS bad! Smokers don't die from old age... They die because they smoked!

As stated, it affects everyone.

I can only hope and pray that my kids don't have to suffer because of my addition to cigarettes.

Stay strong, Chrispy. We're thinking of you.

Last night was the second time in that past 10 days that they have given him toooooooo much pain meds and he becomes unresponsive...and they cannot wake him up.  They have to give him Narcan to reverse all of the effects of the pain meds.  Basically what they give people who have OD'd

He wakes up all confused and anxious.  It is F UCKING ridiculous.  I want to go over there and strangle someone.  Just when you think you have moved 2 steps forward... you get moved 2 steps back.

I wish we could go back to the way things were before... but we all know that our lives have changed forever now.

Cancer sucks