habit v craving

Tink

We humans are creatures of habit, we are all unique but as individuals we have our own habitual rituals that may have been engraved of numerous years

Some wake up and get a shower straight away

Some may head for the coffee pot or tv remote to watch the news

Some log onto here or Facebook to see what's been happening overnight

Some get a drink of water, brush teeth, put on their training shoes and run etc etc the list is endless but I'm sure we all have our own routines and habits

Smoking was one of those habits that fit somewhere within our daily routines

I found in the begining of my quit that I wasn't just fighting the nicotine withdrawal but also the habit and it was like a missing piece of the daily puzzle and my brain knew this was missing and I'm convinced it brought on the craves!

It may not be part of a daily routine either but of something you do on rare occasions but too it had a Habit or ritual, this is especially in evident when you have been quit nicotine for months and months or even years?

That's why I am totally convinced that it's mind over matter, once the nicotine has left the body

How did you change your habit?

What have you incorporated into you routine now you dont smoke anymore?

They say it takes 21 days of continuously doing something to form a new habit or break an old one do you think that's true?

Initially I changed my habit by keeping busy with my hands or mind, from exercise, showering, posting here, preparing food and eating loads, housework or walking

Eventually when it settled down my new habit is food prep for the day, have a good breakfast and then prepare food for the rest of the day it became my new obsession

• Like 1

Well I agree w/all that- its a lot of habitual behavior ,,, I still notice a lapse "spot"now and again- instead of going outside to puff,,

now I make a cup an sit down w/ the wife early in the morn-  go see facebook, catch some news,,,

I really notice my co-workers and their smoking habit- how it stinks so, how  much time it wastes- I,m a little more active now,

at the beginning of my quit I re-built everything on my property just staying busy,,,  sheesh,,

and a real good one,,,, wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I sleep later now-  I never could before,,, ever,, had to get up an feed the monster,, no kidd n,

gum is still my vice,, but today,, only two times,,,,

hang in there,, hope you get to "prepair " again soon,,RC 

• Like 1

We humans are creatures of habit, we are all unique but as individuals we have our own habitual rituals that may have been engraved of numerous years

Some wake up and get a shower straight away

Some may head for the coffee pot or tv remote to watch the news

Some log onto here or Facebook to see what's been happening overnight

Some get a drink of water, brush teeth, put on their training shoes and run etc etc the list is endless but I'm sure we all have our own routines and habits

Smoking was one of those habits that fit somewhere within our daily routines

I found in the begining of my quit that I wasn't just fighting the nicotine withdrawal but also the habit and it was like a missing piece of the daily puzzle and my brain knew this was missing and I'm convinced it brought on the craves!

It may not be part of a daily routine either but of something you do on rare occasions but too it had a Habit or ritual, this is especially in evident when you have been quit nicotine for months and months or even years?

That's why I am totally convinced that it's mind over matter, once the nicotine has left the body

How did you change your habit?

What have you incorporated into you routine now you dont smoke anymore?

They say it takes 21 days of continuously doing something to form a new habit or break an old one do you think that's true?

Initially I changed my habit by keeping busy with my hands or mind, from exercise, showering, posting here, preparing food and eating loads, housework or walking

Eventually when it settled down my new habit is food prep for the day, have a good breakfast and then prepare food for the rest of the day it became my new obsession

I almost totally agree, Tracey!!! xox

I'd like to know who "they" are... IMO the longer the habit, the longer it takes to break!! But that's just me..... 

Also, as after a few weeks I was "craving" the hand to mouth/ inhale/exhale SO badly, I dug out my 'puffer'... and it worked!!!

I don't use IN PLACE OF the cigs, but only when that "craving" drives me nuts... (once or twice a week.. down from every other day) so where's the harm?

I haven't 'filled' it with 'juice' for.....? can't remember when...

I think this is a good point.

I have recently dropped my new morning habit, which was wiping the work surfaces. It just dropped off eventually (I do still clean lol). 

I found I did crave and it sucked me in when their were situations where I would usually smoke, ie first thing, get in the car, walk out a shop etc. So I put "new habits" in all those places, wipe a surface, car was eat a cough sweet, shop was plan a treat to buy and it lessened the effect for me.