My Dads Birthday Today- But Smoking Took Him From Me

Tink

Today would have been my dads birthday (happy birthday dad) he would have been 66 today

unfortunately he died at aged 49 - 3 days after his 49th birthday

I will never forget that year - in January he called me and my sisters together and told us he had lung cancer and that it was terminal - he was given 6 months to live

he was a heavy roll your own smoker - he was a man`s man and I remember in those few months that he desperately tried to quit smoking - but it was all too little too late

he died after 3 months not 6 months

I remember I brought him some aftershave for his birthday - but he never used it - how I wished I brought him some chocolates so that he could have enjoyed them - I know that sounds silly but its the small things you think about in those times - the silly small memories

I am no longer angry with him - he was born in an age where smoking was promoted, it was cool, it was macho and the damages were seldom talked about

but this day and age there is no excuse - we know the dangers! - we know what this addiction can do

and at its worse it will rob you of your life or a close loved one

please do not let this happen to you - it is 100 percent avoidable

I inherited my dad`s sense of humour - so I will honour our memories with laughter not tears (and a smiley of course)  :wub: 

if you are thinking about quitting - do it now

if you have already quit - Fantastic, keep your quit no matter what or how

NOPE

KTQ

• Like 1

I have a feeling you Dad would be smiling too watching you right now! I wish I would live closer, I would grab a bottle (or two) and come over!

Sending you a big hug (and keep the bottle for later)

we would be laughing until my sides were aching I loved to see him cry with laughter - my mission was complete lol

You and your dad must have been a blast together and i am sure you are making him proud with your sense of humor.

You have a solid quit going and i am sure he is smiling down on you with love and pride.

But by being a inspiration, and helping others all the time the way you do,

that is making him the most proud a father can be of his daughter!

((( Tracey)))

• Like 1

(((Tracey))) That is sad Tracey, I'm sorry to hear it, he was much too young.  I am happy though, that you knew enough to quit when you did.  Your Dad must be so proud of you, as all of us here are.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your kind words and sentiments it has made this day special not sad  :wub: you are a great bunch of guys and gals

I am off to bed now before I post anymore threads LOL  :P

• Like 1