Join a forum v going it alone

Doreensfree

Just in case you don't know me....

I just might hold the longest record years of smoking here...52 years....

Now of course in all those years ,I have tried to quit more times than I can remember....

Go for hours,days,months...sometimes....but never quite getting there...

So what's made this quit different from all those past attempts...

Being part of a group...other folks who understand just what I'm going through...

They gave me the tools...they gave me support...they told me just how flipping brilliant I was..

They celebrated with me...they were here....

They became my friends...

If your thinking....oh I wish I could put down the cigs and be smoke free...

You can believe me....and it is the most wonderful feeling....

We are always here....

What have you for to lose...nothing....

And you gain so much....

• Like 13

Very true Doreen.

I'm 99% sure that if I hadn't joined a quit smoking board, I'd still be a smoker. And with that would come a lot of other negatives. I'm fairly certain that reaching out and making contact with an online community has completely transformed my life for the better. That is no exaggeration.

• Like 3

The support of members who have been through or going through similar to me has been crucial to me, to laugh, cry, hug or kick me, someone was and is always here I know in the early stages I would have fallen if not for education and support.

• Like 2

Absolutely spot on Doreen. If it wasn't for online support forum's there is no way I would be quit now.

It also put I little faith back in humanity that their are some people that are willing to help you and they are! Register, post and you will see.

• Like 1

joining a forum saved my quit on day 4  came so close to blowing it then glad I had the support at that time now look almost 3 years and glad made a lot of new friends along the way couldnt imagine life with out all of you in it

• Like 5

I disagree... (ducks the rotten eggs and over-ripe tomatoes)

I believe WE are stronger than we give ourselves credit for!!!! Of COURSE having somewhere to 'vent' and get it all out is a HUGE help, but the determination comes from WITHIN!!!

This forum isn't with us, 24/7!!! When we're at a party, (not that I frequent those any more) or every time we see a smoking friend... !

WE do the hard graft then share here in the hope of spreading positivity!!!!

Those who say "if not for this forum I'd still be smoking" are selling themselves short!! JMO!!!!

• Like 1

I disagree... (ducks the rotten eggs and over-ripe tomatoes)

Those who say "if not for this forum I'd still be smoking" are selling themselves short!! JMO!!!!

I agree.

On my one year date I was waiting for someone on this forum to NOTICE and start a thread (for some reason I couldn't figure out how to put my date on the calendar).  But you guys are busy with your own lives and ya'll don't have time to hold my weight or worry about my milestones.

I realized I had invested too much faith in this forum.  But more to the point: in this pursuit I have craved (and continue to crave) too much outside validation. 

Through my own resources and inner strength I have made it this far.  I'm immensely grateful for the people who contribute here but it comes down to ME and how I wish to relate to my reality. 

• Like 1

I agree.

On my one year date I was waiting for someone on this forum to NOTICE and start a thread (for some reason I couldn't figure out how to put my date on the calendar).  But you guys are busy with your own lives and ya'll don't have time to hold my weight or worry about my milestones.

I realized I had invested too much faith in this forum.  But more to the point: in this pursuit I have craved (and continue to crave) too much outside validation. 

Through my own resources and inner strength I have made it this far.  I'm immensely grateful for the people who contribute here but it comes down to ME and how I wish to relate to my reality. 

EXACTLY TEW!!!  XOX

well said! a point I had in my mind, but couldn't transcribe into words!!!

OH, and HUGE congratulations for your YEAR!!!! lol!

Truth is, I've stopped counting! days, weeks, months, years... WHO CARES???

We're either smokers, or non smokers... and WE, my friend, (right now.. this moment, day whatever) are the latter!!!!

YAAAAY!!!! :wub: :lol: :D :wub: