Feeling a little smug....

Blatant bragging I'm afraid but I'm feeling very pleased with myself. Went out last night to a Halloween party. I have to admit that little voice has been really working hard in my head leading up to the event

"You could definitely have just one"

"most non-smokers have one with alcohol"

"It wouldn't interfere with your quit"

And I've been working at shutting down the voice. Re-reading posts on the boards, remembering all the reasons I've quit and it is strange because these have all been thoughts but none have been a 'craving'.

Anyway, I went to the party and so the night progressed. I stayed inside while some were outside. I partied, I laughed, I drank, I watched the smokers, I stood outside next to them as I got a little merrier but not once was I tempted to ask anyone for a smoke and not once did I do anything against my quit. I did not smoke.

I made it through a night out. It didn't hurt. My night was still amazing. And I can breathe this morning!!! I love my smoke free life. Happy sunday everyone! Xx

• Like 8

That's the things that happens to make you understand and realize that you ARE winning this battle with nicotine and that with each passing day, it DOES get easier.

Those little battles won are a huge boost to the confidence.

And don't underestimate how proud others are for you also..... from your daughter to the members here.

I would guess that everyone who was standing outside smoking was in envy of you for being strong enough to not cave in and throw your quit away... They know how hard it is and are afraid to even attempt it.

Quitters are smokin hot. ;)

Way to go...conquering each challenge!!

• Like 2

Thanks Joe. Actually, the responses I got from Smokers ranged from 'Well done, that's awesome' to 'yeah, we'll see, you'll be back by Christmas '. It was fascinating to watch though. 2 of the smokers there were 'non-smokers' last year after quitting.

Smoking is like a merry go round with people jumping on and off all the time. It's the first time I ever just stood back and looked at the whole thing for what it is. Very surreal realising I've been on that bloody ride forever, making me feel sick, making me ill, spinning round and round. Watching friends jump off, dizzy at first then some straighten up and walk away forever, some stand on the sidelines, wishing they could jump back on until eventually they do and some never really stop wobbling and just glide back on again. I always just kept going round and round. Now I'm stood, watching the merry-go-round. Waving as my friends go past. And I don't want to get back on. I want to try new rides. I'm waving goodbye to the merry-go-round of death.

• Like 1

Quitters ARE smokin' hot!  I agree with Joe there.  We've got a swagger...a stature...it's pretty sweet.

Pork - you're kickin' arse here.  Standing strong in the face of potential temptation.  Be proud for staying "quitter's fit" by reading the boards and educating yourself. 

Major congrats on 13 days of awesomeness.

<3

• Like 1

WhooHooo!  You can have your party drinks and be quit , too.   I agree with Petra.... guard up.... not just drinking ...in other potential "used to smoke here" scenarios

I am deeply grateful you are finding the wonders of freedom and the Wow's of the smoke filled "living"   merry-go-round.

Sounds like you prepped yourself to have your guard up with remembering why you chose to be smoke free...   glad you still want to be free. 

well lived P&P!  You got this.