Remembering My First Dentist Appointment After I Quit

I was almost 2 months quit back in Feb 2013 when I visited the dentist for the first time, in a very long time.

I dodged a bullet. I don't know, must have been about 3 weeks prior to my visit when I noticed a spot on two of my teeth and decided it was time to see a dentist. No pain, no issues but I hadn't seen a dentist since April 2004 when I had a root canal done. I had read on the internet what smoking can do to our teeth, gums, oral cancer etc. Although I always brush my teeth twice a day and floss at least that many times, I was hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I made an appointment with a dentist as it was time to pay up for not only skipping so many dental visits but also for smoking.

They did x-rays, the whole nine yards. The dentist was asking me some questions about prior dental work, my medical history etc. and I told her that I had not been seen by a dentist in almost 9 years and that I just quit smoking about 1.5 months ago. I knew what the next question coming was and I answered I've been a smoker for 28 years, a with a couple of long periods of being smoke free. She congratulated me for quitting and even mentioned it was a very hard thing to do and seemed genuinely pleased. She explained to me that her mother was a long-time smoker and once she quit, she ended up getting some implants to fix her teeth. Even with proper dental care, smoking can still wreak havoc on our teeth and gums.

My x-rays were front and center on the nice HD TV screen in front of me and I had to know. I asked her how bad things looked. She said not bad at all. You have two very small cavities which you already know about and I'm surprised you even saw them and there is one more small one on the bottom. I said well what about planing (scraping under the gum-line), deep cleanings etc. She said none of that. You don't need anything else done. She said she could tell that I brush my teeth way too hard because I'm pushing my gum-line down/up. I said that makes sense because I use a new toothbrush every 3 weeks and the one I'm currently using is only a week old and is already parted down the middle. I was relieved with the good news and to be quite honest, could have cried if it weren't for the dental hygienist and dentist right next to me. Had I been left alone for a moment, I would have. I was that relieved.

Next was the oral cancer exam, neck exam etc. All was well. Next was an inspection of my mouth with the pick etc. lol She asked if I had ever worn braces to which I responded no and asked why. She said because my teeth were so straight and each side was an exact mirror of the other. I kind of gave this puzzled look and she said that's a good thing. We don't see this very often. You ready to get your teeth cleaned? You bet I am!

After the cleaning and polishing was done she said she can tell that I drink a lot of coffee because she removed a ton of coffee staining. I was hoping that would come off!! Anyway, she said to get a rechargeable toothbrush because they do so much better at removing coffee and food staining, a much better job of removing plaque and would be much, much easier on my gums because they have a pressure sensor that only lets you press so hard and a timer for each quadrant of your mouth. Sounds good to me. She told me the brand etc. to get. The one I chose was expensive ($220), but the investment is worth it to keep my teeth as clean as possible and help prevent any future issues. She and the hygienist use the same model so I figured it must be worth it. My teeth have never felt or looked better! No whitening needed either. What a good feeling.

If anybody reading this is worried about going to the dentist, go anyway. I was prepared for the worst. I was expecting loosing those two teeth that I had seen the spots on. I had expected deep cleanings/planing and whatever needed to fix my neglect. Again, I dodged a bullet but was willing to pay up to get everything fixed. Not to mention, what an incentive to never smoke again! Spending as little time as possible sitting in the "mercy seat" is quite the motivator to keep my quit!

• Like 4