When Does the Sensation in My Lungs Go Away?

I can't really describe it. It's in the middle of my chest. All I know is, when I smoked, after a few puffs, it would go away & I'd feel calmer. It's been three days since I smoked & I'm still experiencing it. If it wasn't for that feeling, it would be easier. It's like a reminder & I crave it.

Your lungs are going to go through a journey of cleaning out all of the tar and nicotine.  First the cilia that you damaged by smoking, needs to grow back.  For everyone it is different, but you should start feeling a change soon :)

• Like 1

I'm not so sure. I remember a sensation I used to think of as "lung hunger", and it felt like my wanting circuits had been rewired so that I actually like the sensation of cramming smoke into my chest, and maybe there was something to that. All I can tell you is that it went away, and pretty quick, and was replaced by a profound revulsion at the thought of hurting myself like that. Three days is not a very long time in the scheme of a quit, though it feels like it. Push through, and you'll see what I mean soon enough!

Your lungs are going to go through a journey of cleaning out all of the tar and nicotine.  First the cilia that you damaged by smoking, needs to grow back.  For everyone it is different, but you should start feeling a change soon :)

Thanks, Colleen. I hope so. Without that sensation, I probably wouldn't think about it as much.

It goes away when you understand it's in your head, not your chest, and you are in total control of it. It is anxiety, nothing physical.

Easy Peasy

I understand about psychological & why I would have that while I'm trying to quit. Why would I have it when I could smoke whenever I wanted? There were other reasons to be stressed, but, not about that.

I'm not so sure. I remember a sensation I used to think of as "lung hunger", and it felt like my wanting circuits had been rewired so that I actually like the sensation of cramming smoke into my chest, and maybe there was something to that. All I can tell you is that it went away, and pretty quick, and was replaced by a profound revulsion at the thought of hurting myself like that. Three days is not a very long time in the scheme of a quit, though it feels like it. Push through, and you'll see what I mean soon enough!

Hi, B. Lung hunger. That's a good way to describe it. I'll be glad when I don't have an appetite for it anymore.

• Like 1

I got that too and if it hurts take a mild painkiller or ask you doc for a inhaler which will help you breathe I'm further in my quit but sometimes it flares up an hour and all I do I take extra inhaler or paracetamol cause it cramps and can hurt... sometimes but overal my asthma got way better

I never got that, I got sever anxious feelings in my stomach and they took a while to die down and it sounds similar.

I think the trick is to acknowledge it and know it will pass. One of the mantra's that help actually was this too will pass.

It sounds like you're doing fantastically well though. It can be a overwhelming if you let it I think but try and deal with each small part on it's own if that makes sense, rather than one big feeling. xx

I thinks it's both mental and physical especially in the early days I chewed airways menthol gum which helped, mind, body, emotions they are on th beginnings of healing and you are in th peak of nicotine withdrawal.

Breathing exercises help too slow breath in, hold, slow breath out babs has a Thread somewhere I will see if I can bump it.

All will pass in time, try to relax and think "healing" more anxiety will just bring on more unwanted ailments :(

3 days is awesome, you are doing great x

Hey Gypsy...keep yourself busy...this will pass. The joy of being free from cigarettes is exhilarating...a whole new chapter of your life is awaiting you. Stick with it...ignore the demons, they will eventually fade away. Stay strong! Post if you need help.

Best of luck...

I got that too and if it hurts take a mild painkiller or ask you doc for a inhaler which will help you breathe I'm further in my quit but sometimes it flares up an hour and all I do I take extra inhaler or paracetamol cause it cramps and can hurt... sometimes but overal my asthma got way better

Hi, Evelyn. Thanks for the recommendation. I've never had asthma or anything like that. I'm glad yours has gotten better.

• Like 1

I never got that, I got sever anxious feelings in my stomach and they took a while to die down and it sounds similar.

I think the trick is to acknowledge it and know it will pass. One of the mantra's that help actually was this too will pass.

It sounds like you're doing fantastically well though. It can be a overwhelming if you let it I think but try and deal with each small part on it's own if that makes sense, rather than one big feeling. xx

Hi, Marti. The lung thing is the only physical sensation. I'll feel anxious sometimes, but, that's due to entirely different situations. I just need to find other stress relievers & indulgences. 

• Like 1

I thinks it's both mental and physical especially in the early days I chewed airways menthol gum which helped, mind, body, emotions they are on th beginnings of healing and you are in th peak of nicotine withdrawal.

Breathing exercises help too slow breath in, hold, slow breath out babs has a Thread somewhere I will see if I can bump it.

All will pass in time, try to relax and think "healing" more anxiety will just bring on more unwanted ailments :(

3 days is awesome, you are doing great x

Thanks for the support, Tracey. I know it's like anything else, one day at a time. Or, even, moment by moment.

Hey Gypsy...keep yourself busy...this will pass. The joy of being free from cigarettes is exhilarating...a whole new chapter of your life is awaiting you. Stick with it...ignore the demons, they will eventually fade away. Stay strong! Post if you need help.

Best of luck...

I really appreciate the encouragement, Jengels :)