Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Have You Just Been a Casual, Short Term Smoker?

Featured Replies

I recently joined, so, have only read a few discussions & haven't really gotten to know anyone yet. I'm guessing, people were at different levels of smoking before they decided to quit. I've only been smoking five years & smoke a pack or less a week. I hadn't planned on quitting. I was enjoying it as an indulgence, until, my voice went hoarse last Fri & worse, I would start to lose it all together. Nothing gradual, it had suddenly changed. Even if it wasn't from smoking, that certainly wasn't helping it. I suppose, recommendations from those who had smoked for years and/or were hardcore would be useful. I'd also like to hear from those who are a little more similar to me. Thanks.

Every single hard core serious long term smoker started as a casual short term smoker.

 

That's kind of how it works. The nature of the addiction I suppose.

 

The only proven consequence of smoking a cigarette is the creation of the desire to smoke another.

 

There are people who, like you, manage to smoke only a little - but I have met many whom have told me that they only smoke a couple a day, while I observe them smoking their fifth.

 

My wife could go days without smoking a cigarette, with no apparent ill effect. She quit about the same time as me. For a while - she would lament not being able to have "just the odd one".

 

I asked - "If you can smoke one a week - then why don't you?"

 

"Oh I couldn't go through those first couple of weeks of quitting again...."

 

B)

Casual Smoker.

 

lol

 

In Sarge's mind, he reads that as "casual slow death"

 

 

 

Easy Peasy

Hardcore... but quit like I was softcore.... (female friendly)

 

It is all in your mind

GB, recommendations on what exactly?  How to get through craves?  How to change your mindset?  I'm thinking the nuts and bolts of quitting are the exact same for everyone.  Maybe you could share a bit more on what you're looking for in terms of recommendations??

  • Author

Every single hard core serious long term smoker started as a casual short term smoker.

 

That's kind of how it works. The nature of the addiction I suppose.

 

The only proven consequence of smoking a cigarette is the creation of the desire to smoke another.

 

There are people who, like you, manage to smoke only a little - but I have met many whom have told me that they only smoke a couple a day, while I observe them smoking their fifth.

 

My wife could go days without smoking a cigarette, with no apparent ill effect. She quit about the same time as me. For a while - she would lament not being able to have "just the odd one".

 

I asked - "If you can smoke one a week - then why don't you?"

 

"Oh I couldn't go through those first couple of weeks of quitting again...."

 

B)

 

Hi, El B. When I say, I only smoked a pack or less a week, I meant it. That's how it was for five years. Every now & then, I'd smoke three or even four cigarettes in a day. Especially with four, I found it was way too much. Two give me a nice buzz. More than that, it's usually overload. It was just an indulgence for me.

 

The reason I'm here is because my voice suddenly became hoarse & would fade in & out. I've been trying not to talk. Which means, I can't do my work in customer service. I haven't been smoking & yesterday my voice was much better. I had a mocha (which I haven't had in ages) & kind of lost my voice again. Apparently, caffeine can have an affect on it. If this continues, I'm going to have to get it looked into. 

Hi, El B. When I say, I only smoked a pack or less a week, I meant it. That's how it was for five years. Every now & then, I'd smoke three or even four cigarettes in a day. Especially with four, I found it was way too much. Two give me a nice buzz. More than that, it's usually overload. It was just an indulgence for me.

 

The reason I'm here is because my voice suddenly became hoarse & would fade in & out. I've been trying not to talk. Which means, I can't do my work in customer service. I haven't been smoking & yesterday my voice was much better. I had a mocha (which I haven't had in ages) & kind of lost my voice again. Apparently, caffeine can have an affect on it. If this continues, I'm going to have to get it looked into. 

GB.

 

I believe you absolutely.

 

Addiction is an individual thing. Not a competition. I do not think it is easier to quit one a day or 100 a day. I believe that it has been proven to take 72 hours to rid the body of the physical desire to smoke - the mental desire however is the one that seems a little tricky to dislodge - regardless of the volumes involved.

 

For me, the key to quitting, was unlocking the secret of why I smoked. Once I understood that and was honest about it - I quit.

 

Why did you smoke?

I remember slovenka. She smoked around the same and kept falling off with her "just 1" and "my only vice" and such. 

 

Thing is, just 1 starts the next one and the next one and where does it stop.....

 

At some stages one was enough, later a thousand was never enough.

 

So now I think is it becomes irrelevant how many you smoked. It was not easier or harder for me to quit 40 per day, then someone who smoked 20 or 5... it is simply smoking or not smoking. Not meant as a harsh thing, just that is what it is because we are all smoking something that could cause us harm, that could harm those we love around us. 

 

I don't mean to deliver the tough love, I honestly don't work that way but I started by smoking one a day - 1! Was never planning to go past that and I laugh now thinking I ever had any control. It's like a demon that just kept growing, out of control, making me sickly and unwell and then the denial kicked in, and still it grew bigger and better. Ultimately, how many other times would I quite literally burn money and do something that may cause me physical harm?! None my friend, none at all and that's when I understood that the numbers were irrelevant and I needed to buck up and reclaim my freedom. 

 

x

Hardcore... but quit like I was softcore.... (female friendly)

 

It is all in your mind

 

 

It SOOO is!!! (as my grandies would say!) LOL!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.