Is it unfair to ban smoking in mental health hospitals?

action

This is a subject I think will differ from person to person....so this is my view only.....

I have in the past had to visit secure mental health units....this is what I observed....

No smoking inside....a secure door was opened every hour ,for smokers to go out together and have a smoke....with supervision

I had already quit...what I did take notice....they gathered together had a chat...even a laugh or two....

They were people who had been dealt a rough deal ....life hadn't been kind to them....

I carnt see the point to making the vulnerable folks suffer any more than they are...

Looking at a young girl of twenty who has cuts galore all over her body...having a cig.....

I say she has enough to deal,with....so my opinion.is leave them be.....

They should too be able to have a choice...

• Like 2

Banning smoking inside of course.  Have a designated smoking area outside for those who wish to smoke but also, encourage participation, offer education about smoking have available quit smoking clinics, NRT etc.  People have a right to smoke and like the article stated, it's not prison.  I think they would have much less resistance this way and they'd actually be able to get more of the patients to quit smoking vs. making them abstain and then as soon as they leave the first thing they'll do is light up.

Education is the way.  Offer the services and do it the right way, the first time.  :)

• Like 1

I agree with everyone above. It honestly made me angry to read the article, which is an odd reaction to see from an ex-smoker, but it's just so arrogant and inhumane to screw with people like that who are already at the end of their rope. I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if some bureaucrat figured they could save money by driving up turnover and shortening treatment times - "no really, I'm cured - all better, gotta go thanks!"

One of my first "adult" jobs was as a caregiver for people with catastrophic brain injuries. It was one hell of an experience. Most of them were on medications and couldn't be trusted to take them, so those were all kept in the office in a locked cabinet, along with their cigarettes - every single one of them smoked, and the smokes were used as "rewards" (but really punishments) to control behaviour. I was very young and times were different, but I still objected to what seemed a heartless manipulation of their addictions. At the same time, I couldn't imagine depriving those people of one of their only "pleasures", even if it was killing them.

• Like 3

I agree with everyone above. It honestly made me angry to read the article, which is an odd reaction to see from an ex-smoker, but it's just so arrogant and inhumane to screw with people like that who are already at the end of their rope. I actually wouldn't be at all surprised if some bureaucrat figured they could save money by driving up turnover and shortening treatment times - "no really, I'm cured - all better, gotta go thanks!"

One of my first "adult" jobs was as a caregiver for people with catastrophic brain injuries. It was one hell of an experience. Most of them were on medications and couldn't be trusted to take them, so those were all kept in the office in a locked cabinet, along with their cigarettes - every single one of them smoked, and the smokes were used as "rewards" (but really punishments) to control behaviour. I was very young and times were different, but I still objected to what seemed a heartless manipulation of their addictions. At the same time, I couldn't imagine depriving those people of one of their only "pleasures", even if it was killing them.

Precisely!!!

It's taking away their CHOICE!!! Bluddy hypocritical governments!!!!!

• Like 2

Of course it is better to refrain from (or quit) smoking, but there is a time and a place for it.  

Considering there is a 72 hour maximum hold for an Involuntary Commitment (in the US), introducing such a restriction on people who are in crisis and in need of stabilization is a very misguided idea.  One thing at a time will result in more success.  IMHO, smoking cessation would best be introduced in an Outpatient setting.  That said, I did find the impact on the  effectiveness of medication to be an intriguing point.

Good example I live in a home for people wh needs extra help with psy problems, a nice woman chain smokes and got broke with fags, yesterday i loaned money and today some change money BUT it gives me a nagging feeling likeí have shag somewhere in the house' technically it's mine :( so I outloud says I DO NOT SMOKE ONE FAG from the shag, but i went to her and told her this is an acception and that I won't do it anymore it makes my quit wobbly on it's feet, the border goes grey.. you know.

I had pity with her and that's the ONLY reason I did it, knowing she can't quit and doesn't chooses to. But tomorrow when she buys fags from my change it's the last time and she agreed, knowing the more i loan the larger the amount is she nees to pay back.

YUCK! When I only smoke it it disgusses me still the 'idea of having fags bought with my money' needs me to draw the line extra, NOPE and last time byuing fags from my money no matter who it is. But I've come a far way and many are not that far / strong yet. You need to commit and taking away the choice ofsmoking only raises anger and denial.: I heard two women cough today (both smokers) too far gone to able to quit, if I hear that lungs, and knowing their 50 / 60 years I'm surprised they still walk arond. One wasn't even able to push down the click of her lighter, hoe far gone are you then? FAR! Still all humans should be able to choose wether they die slowly in denial or chose life :) I'm productive tonite lol

Utter wronguns! I will absolutely encourage quitting but it's no one's business what another person chooses to do (unless it's my kids in the future lol, I can do hypocritical for them) but no way! Hope it gets veto'd as people won't seek the help they need will they. So so wrong.

• Like 1