Tips to help quit smoking!

Hi, My husband started smoking at the age of 16, and still continues. All his friends smokes, and that makes it harder for him to quit. His smoking hasn't bothered me much. However recently, things changed. He was taken to the emergency care due to intense pain, and turned out, he had Indirect Inguinal Hernia. The doctors said that smoking is one of the factors that triggered it. They also told him that, he might get it again, if he doesn't quit smoking. I don't think he took it very seriously. I feel very worried about him and want to do something to help him quit. How do I get him to quit? Is there anything that I can do? 

From personal experience whenever there's feedback from the doctor about a health problem it usually, no always, links in some way to smoking. I'm sure when non-smokers go to a doctor they get a variety of answers to why they have a problem. When a smoker goes to the doctor the answer is almost always "stop smoking and take this medication." I'm not sure that the doctor's concern really sunk in as he's probably used to being told he should just stop smoking, but that's just guessing.

Has he said what he thinks about it? Why do you think he's not taking it seriously?

• Like 2

From personal experience whenever there's feedback from the doctor about a health problem it usually, no always, links in some way to smoking. I'm sure when non-smokers go to a doctor they get a variety of answers to why they have a problem. When a smoker goes to the doctor the answer is almost always "stop smoking and take this medication." I'm not sure that the doctor's concern really sunk in as he's probably used to being told he should just stop smoking, but that's just guessing.

Has he said what he thinks about it? Why do you think he's not taking it seriously?

Sadly, this is true! Some doctors are so anti smoking, they'll blame it on everything the smoker suffers!! Which is ludicrous!

Of course smoking is bad for us!!! we all KNOW that!! and yet we still did it! the 'denial' thing is very strong... added to the fact that many NON smokers who will develop that kind of hernia!

Just a tip from someone who has been a "heavy" smoker, then a 'lighter' smoker, or even a 'social' smoker.....we HATE it when anyone tells us "it's bad for you"..

I think the 'trick' is to be supportive of him, "warts and all" if that makes sense...

Have you ever smoked?

I have asthma and I still smoked like a chimney. Even though my family doctor was pretty adamant about me quitting, I didn't until I really wanted to quit. I like the suggestion of getting him to read the site, but I think that's all you can do for now. Hopefully the trip to the emergency room has got him thinking about what he's doing to his body.