book, kindle, or nook?

babs609

I'm still in the dark ages.  I like to read books, I like using a bookmark, I like turning the page.  The problem is book storage and also reading in bed with a lighted kindle sounds tempting.

So if I get one...which one....kindle or nook?

Any thoughts??  

I'm old school Babs. I have hundreds (literally) of books. I love them. I live the smell, the weight, the page turning, the artwork...

I have a kindle fire too, but I hardly ever use it for reading - but it is handy to read in the dark ;)

• Like 2

I still like reading regular books...like ross I like the smell and feel and turning pages...so sometimes i still use them. I decided to read game of thrones that way.... it is harder to carry around for bigger books or hold while laying down...yada yada

Love my kindle for reading at night and for reading really large books.  plus being able to highlight things and go back later to them.

• Like 3

I have a Kobo and am thinking about upgrading for school. I really do love my Kobo, but it's old... probably the first one that ever came out. It doesn't light up and have to manually push the button (really hard!) to get the page to turn. My mom bought it for me years ago, so I'd never part with it.

However, I'm old school as well. I LOVE cracking open a new book (or even an old, hand-me-down book). Love the smell, feel, and artwork. I also love knowing which actual page I'm on. My Kobo is a smaller screen, so a page fits across 3-4 pages on the Kobo. 

I have used the newer Kobos and they are really awesome though. I love that they light up so you can read in the dark. That's why I want to upgrade. I want to be able to read in bed without my boyfriend bugging me to turn off the light, lol.

• Like 2

No idea about the Nook, I have a Kindle Paperwhite (the 2nd gen) and I love it, it's very pleasant to read. Of course, just like most I have always dreamt of having a house with a giant library. I refused to get a Kindle (even though I love tech/gadgets) solely for that nostalgic idea of the book, the feel, the smell, etc. But then I realized - who am I kidding. I have moved around so much that I don't have any books anymore, and those few I had bought recently were all paperbacks. New ones. And I don't find anything pleasant about reading a PB, not in particular, neither for looking for a good light source. So I gave in.

I still buy books of course (especially if the particular Kindle book costs as much as a paperback/even hc at times, which I still can't justify to myself.. and reference books). But Kindle is great for travel and those late night reads. So I just use both. I usually grab something that I normally wouldn't buy on Kindle discounts and books that I want to keep around I buy paperback, or try to get the hardcover. It's good to have both.

• Like 2

Books everytime for me.

It's like an event of pleasure for me, the smell of a new book, the turning of the page, the sound when the spine of the book cracks.....love it so much.

I thought of buying a kindle for my holiday next year but my heart sinks, it just wouldn't be the same pleasure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting some audio books, I figure that would make my nite less boring while scrubbing a toilet, plus for walking home in the morning. :yes3: 

You've given me an idea here Beth, I clean part-time. Mind you it might slow me down as if it gets to a shocking/juicy bit I might stop, freeze with my mouth wide open....rofl. I might give it a go though and give my Abba/David Cassidy tracks a break ;)

• Like 1