important information regarding NSAID's-please read

FYI

The Food and Drug Administration is strengthening warnings on painkillers like ibuprofen to say that they cause an increased risk of heart attack and stroke. The over-the-counter forms include Advil, Motrin IB and Aleve.

The distinction was subtle: The labels already say such drugs “may cause” increased risk of heart attack and stroke. But the agency said that new data from a recent analysis provided stronger evidence of the increased risk of heart failure from such drugs, called nonaspirin nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Nsaids), which are taken by millions of Americans.

In the coming months, the agency said it would ask manufacturers to change the labels to say that the drugs “cause an increased risk” of serious heart failure. It also will ask them to add that the risk may occur early in treatment and may increase the longer the patient uses the medicine.

The changes will apply to over-the-counter and prescription forms of the medicine, an F.D.A. spokesman said. The agency said people with heart problems should consult a doctor before taking the medication. The F.D.A. said it reviewed a large number of studies that supported the conclusion that the medicines caused increased risk. The studies estimated that the relative risk increased by 10 percent to 50 percent, depending on the drugs and the doses considered.

The agency first warned of the risk of heart attack and stroke in the prescription medicines in 2005. People who have heart disease, particularly those who recently had a heart attack or stroke, are most at risk, the agency said. But it added that even those who had never had heart disease were at risk.

“Everyone may be at risk, even people without an underlying risk for cardiovascular disease,” Dr. Judy Racoosin, the deputy director of the F.D.A.’s Division of Anesthesia, Analgesia and Addiction Products, said in a written explanation of the change.

Last year, the F.D.A. convened a panel of experts to review the studies and evidence that informed its decision on Thursday.

The over-the-counter form of the drugs is used to treat pain or fever. The prescription forms tend to be stronger and are used to treat arthritis and other painful conditions, the agency said.

In a statement, the Consumer Healthcare Products Association, a trade association for makers of over-the-counter medicines, said such drugs “have a long history of safety and efficacy when used as directed,” and that the current label already addresses heart risks “and directs consumers to take the smallest effective dose.” It said it would work with the F.D.A. to make the changes it is requesting “to ensure continued safe consumer use.”

• Like 3

Aaaaand this is why I don't take pills very often. I already knew that NSAIDs can destroy your stomach. It's sad that something that is supposed to make you feel better can actually lead to even more serious health complications.. 

• Like 2

A friend once called Ibuprofen "Vitamin I" because she used it so often for her aches and pains.

I used to take it all the time but in recent years I cut down...now I only take it when the pain is extreme.

• Like 1

That's because people don't realize (or care) that it is medicine... The whole "It's OTC so it is safe" line of thinking. I know someone that was popping 4-5 tylenol at once every few hours like it was candy. I pointed out that it destroys your liver and doing that can kill you... 

• Like 1

Sarge takes 2 or 3 every 15 years or so. He isn't worried at all but thanks for the Heads Up.

Mrs. Sarge got a "you really ought a quit drinking" a few years ago from her Physician (she doesn't drink. At all.) Turns out her headache pills were shredding her liver on a regular basis and it showed up on a routine physical exam.

These things do Real Damage, folks. Listen to Babs.

Easy Peasy

• Like 2

My doctor warned of this last year and just recently reminded me to stay away from them.  She said that when you take even as prescribed, it raises your blood pressure, often times to high risk levels.  I know firsthand from family members that this is in fact true.  My doc during a recent physical told me to just avoid them altogether and my blood pressure, heart etc. are all great.

I rarely take anything for pain, but Advil was what I would take if I was that uncomfortable.

Tylenol isn't good for your liver but when you need something for pain, what to take now?

that's why I avoid doctors, at least traditional ones anyway

DITTO, Babs! 

all 'medics' actually... other than my "family doctor" whom I've known for 24years!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I take them daily, several times a day even.  Sometimes it's the only way I get through.  Some days they barely get me through, but they must be doing something, right?  Carpal tunnel in both hands and what looks like to be Cubitol Tunnel syndrome on the right elbow/arm.  

What are the alternatives?  Can't say I have the blood pressure spike, my bp is always below normal.  Average is 110/70, but sometimes gets as low as 80/60.  I have what they call "quiet blood pressure" lol.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Despite the people in my line of work telling me not too I quite like a painkiller for the kids or I if there's any pain. I obviously try natural and reiki healing first. However a women I met recently has bundles of success with poultices and I do like the sound of it so found a page on line (shared below) that gave me the basics. Going to prepare some bits and pieces to have handy now the Christmas food is out of the fridge and freezer! I swear by herbal elderberry remedies for colds and flus so no harm trying is there.

http://whisperingearth.co.uk/2011/08/23/how-to-make-poultices-and-compresses/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the people in my line of work telling me not too I quite like a painkiller for the kids or I if there's any pain. I obviously try natural and reiki healing first. However a women I met recently has bundles of success with poultices and I do like the sound of it so found a page on line (shared below) that gave me the basics. Going to prepare some bits and pieces to have handy now the Christmas food is out of the fridge and freezer! I swear by herbal elderberry remedies for colds and flus so no harm trying is there.

http://whisperingearth.co.uk/2011/08/23/how-to-make-poultices-and-compresses/

love it!  thanks Marti!!