Train Train- Bat answers questions

bakon

The trains I run now. 

How many cars and how much weight at 7000 feet.

It depends on what the trains are hauling. The trains on my territory I'm on now. The 70 mph trains are around 100 cars and 7000 tons. Our biggest on my side is frack sand trains that are around 100 cars and 19,000 tons. We have coal trains on the other territories I run on that are 150 cars and 24,000 tons.

• Like 2

Do you carry your tea and sugar in a little container....like my grandad....I always remember his face was always sooty...x

I bet those steam engines were a little on the sooty side to work on. Your grandad would probably laugh at how train crews have it now. He would probably think we were spoiled rotten  :)

• Like 1

Batman, very cool job! Model railroader at heart. Built lots of 4x8 layouts, would build one and sell it, then built another one ("N" scale) until 9/11, then boxed up and put away, never got back in to it yet!

Have worked on the air compressors on the locos at steel yards and power plants, 

Questions;

How many miles does it take to stop a 7000 vs a 20,000 ton train?

What horsepower is your loco engine(s)? (diesel generator vs the DC motors on the wheels)

What weight is your loco you drive?

How many wheels on your loco?

How many locos on your train?

How many gallons of diesel fuel can your loco hold?

more to come!

• Like 2

Batman, very cool job! Model railroader at heart. Built lots of 4x8 layouts, would build one and sell it, then built another one ("N" scale) until 9/11, then boxed up and put away, never got back in to it yet!

Have worked on the air compressors on the locos at steel yards and power plants, 

Questions;

How many miles does it take to stop a 7000 vs a 20,000 ton train? ... 7000? If it's an Intermodal train and doing 70mph will probably take a mile and half. A 20,000 ton coal train at 50 mph, maybe a mile. An empty coal 8000 ft coal train will squat quick 1/2 a mile.

What horsepower is your loco engine(s)? (diesel generator vs the DC motors on the wheels) .... Around 4400 to 4500 HP.

What weight is your loco you drive? ....The one I just came back on last night was a brand new engine and it weighed 430,000 lbs.

How many wheels on your loco? .... 6 axles - 12 wheels .... old yard switch engines have 4 axles 8 wheels.

How many locos on your train? .... From 1 to 8 unless it's a light power move ( engines only) then I think we are allowed 21 or 25.

How many gallons of diesel fuel can your loco hold? 5000 gallons

more to come! .... Bring it  :)

• Like 4

Questions;

How many miles does it take to stop a 7000 vs a 20,000 ton train? ... 7000? If it's an Intermodal train and doing 70mph will probably take a mile and half. A 20,000 ton coal train at 50 mph, maybe a mile. An empty coal 8000 ft coal train will squat quick 1/2 a mile.

What horsepower is your loco engine(s)? (diesel generator vs the DC motors on the wheels) .... Around 4400 to 4500 HP.

What weight is your loco you drive? ....The one I just came back on last night was a brand new engine and it weighed 430,000 lbs.

How many wheels on your loco? .... 6 axles - 12 wheels .... old yard switch engines have 4 axles 8 wheels.

How many locos on your train? .... From 1 to 8 unless it's a light power move ( engines only) then I think we are allowed 21 or 25.

How many gallons of diesel fuel can your loco hold? 5000 gallons

more to come! .... Bring it  :)

I'm sure my grand papa would be blown away....if he saw the trains of today....

And the speed they travel.....but......you didn't answer my question....do you carry your tea and sugar...in a little tin ...l.ol.....

Xxxx

• Like 1

I'm sure my grand papa would be blown away....if he saw the trains of today....

And the speed they travel.....but......you didn't answer my question....do you carry your tea and sugar...in a little tin ...l.ol.....

Xxxx

YETICoolers_YRAM30_15.jpg This is how we do it  :)

• Like 2

do you shoot sand for traction?

Yes .... On the big hills, mostly when you get down to around 10 mph the wheels will start spinning. .... I've had the train lay down on a hill a couple of times from not having enough power (engines). You either have to go back and startup more engines and put them on line if you have them or you have to have another train bring their engines and either pull or push you up the hill. 

• Like 2

How many people are needed to work on a freight train?  What are the main reasons for freight train derailments? 

How many people are needed to work on a freight train?  .... Two people on a freight train.  Sometimes 3 for local jobs that have a lot of switching to do.

What are the main reasons for freight train derailments?  .... I would say mostly bad switches or bad rails for derailments.

• Like 1