Smoker's Dreams

cpk

I am at month 5, and in the past month had TWO smoking dreams. This sucks. I have tried to just laugh it off. I am wondering how long it will take before my subconscious gets the message that I am a conscious nonsmoker. Full disclosure: In the dreams it appeared as if I was enjoying myself while smoking. Up until this point I have not remembered dreaming about smoking.

Because it's summer??? I am wondering if maybe I dreamed about smoking because it's summer and when people walk by my place and are smoking the smell drifts in the windows when I am sleeping???

Since month 2 my ability to smell has returned full-force. I can smell cigarette smoke even when the smoker is apparently a couple blacks away.

Consciously, I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. It smells chemical and deadly.

What the hell is going on, then, in my dreams???

Does Joel have a video on this???

• Like 1

The good news is that this is totally cpk... At one stage around the 5-6 month mark (if I remember correctly) I had about 5 dreams in a week! It was pretty annoying, and even though there were various smoking escapades happing throughout, there was always an overriding sense of guilt, and a flood of releif when I woke up and realised they were only dreams and that I didn't have to reset my ticker!

The even better news is that they soon go away for good - I haven't had one since I can remember - certainly not this year (although I say this, and I will probably have one tonight, curses!)

How do you feel when you have these dreams?

• Like 2

Thank you for your honest answer, Action. In one dream I was in the bedroom I lived in as a teenager, smoking by the open window, as I did then. I am sorry to say that in the dream I didn't feel guilty.

Of course, when I wake up I am so RELIEVED AND HAPPY I am still a nonsmoker.  I will trust that this is a temporary phenomenon of quitting that will pass...hopefully, soon.

So sorry if this causes you to have a smoker's dream. But it has been so long, no doubt, you may find it interesting if it does occur.

• Like 1

Not to worry cpk, I did not have a smokers dream - you need to sleep to have dreams ;)

I am glad that you feel relieved and happy when you wake up - that is the most important thing I think :)

I just had a smokers dream.  They've been rare for me.  But they haven't been rare for my boyfriend, who is just about to reach the 4 month mark.  He dreams about smoking regularly.

In my dream I smoked one and my mind started rationalizing, "all is not lost - you only smoked one - the key is to not smoke any more - don't panic."  

Ahahahaha - even in my dreams I'm in denial.

• Like 2

I had a few. Like Action they just seemed to pass. So must be the sub conscious way of processing something or other. A couple of times I got upset at them but it didn't make a difference to my quit and it won't to yours either my lovely.

Cause another sentence is about hating the smell and that's another nail in the smoking coffin isn't it. I know some people don't mind but I'm with you, mostly the smell is massively offensive.  

• Like 2

eh even after 2 years I get a couple now and then......they are laughable at this point though lol it doesnt affect me like they used to when I first quit so even I might have them occasionally I dont get stressed from them now like I used to because I know it is just a stupid dream not smoking ever again.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Thanks all. Also, Nay Nay (Reene) posted on another thread about having a smoker's dream at 1 year, 1 month. The title of thread is something like "Not MIA anymore..." or something.

Okay, here's how I am thinking about it. Do you ever dream of having sex with someone from the past who in your present life you would never have sex with? Sometimes this even happens at the start of a new relationship. Someone from the dark past shows up in a dream, nakit! Haha. Yeah, I just laugh and think, "PU"

just like with smoking dreams.

But still, would rather not have them and at least I don't have cravings when I wake up.

I don't know what's happening with TEW's boyfriend who has regular smoking dreams. Hope for his sake it's a phase that will quickly pass...

I am at month 5, and in the past month had TWO smoking dreams. This sucks. I have tried to just laugh it off. I am wondering how long it will take before my subconscious gets the message that I am a conscious nonsmoker.

I'm at month 38, and in the past month had two smoking dreams. Before that I hadn't had any in forever, but I won't be shocked if I'm still having one a blue moon years from now. They're a bit irritating, but I don't really lose any sleep over it  <_< BECAUSE...

Okay, here's how I am thinking about it. Do you ever dream of having sex with someone from the past who in your present life you would never have sex with?

that!

Hey, dreams are crazy.

• Like 1

Had another one. What I realized was that these dreams are not really very strong. I don't even know if I was actually smoking. I was holding a cigarette. Since I posted this and got these answers I have felt less afraid about having these dreams. It ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT MEAN I WANT TO SMOKE. In fact, have been very busy and during waking hours don't think much about my quit at all. You all helped put my mind at ease. Thank you!

I'm at month 38, and in the past month had two smoking dreams. Before that I hadn't had any in forever, but I won't be shocked if I'm still having one a blue moon years from now. They're a bit irritating, but I don't really lose any sleep over it  <_< BECAUSE...

that!

Hey, dreams are crazy.

Thanks for the comments, and just so you know, there is that rare Blue Moon happening this July. For real. Two full moons in one month...exciting. (And I hope I'm done with smoking dreams for awhile...)

• Like 1