Off the wine diet....

cpk

During month 4 into 5 I quieted anxiety and insomnia with a glass of wine in the evening. As of this weekend I've left the wine habit behind. (I never drank wine before quitting, and it didn't trigger any cravings. But it didn't seem like a healthy habit to pick up, so I dropped it.)

I am now feeling less anxious, and sleeping better. I don't know what drowned out the anxiety...wine...or time!

I hope the next months usher in healthier life changes.

I guess the quit journey is about experimenting, and staying flexible.

• Like 2

good for you...alcohol is ok in moderation but if you find yourself doing it regularly...then it has the opposite effect

Yeah, I recently read that sometimes alcohol can actually bring on heart palpitations, which is a main symptom of my anxiety. Since I quit drinking I feel better. I think the wine was helping me get to sleep but at the same time raising my blood pressure??? I don't know. It was a phase, now it's done, and am meditating instead of drinking wine, and a 50 minute meditation session daily is having a better effect at alleviating anxiety. Quitting is such a roller coaster, but I am heading for month 6, and hope after that things will really improve. Everything is steadily getting better...thanks for your comment here.

• Like 1

Yeah, I recently read that sometimes alcohol can actually bring on heart palpitations, which is a main symptom of my anxiety. Since I quit drinking I feel better. I think the wine was helping me get to sleep but at the same time raising my blood pressure??? I don't know. It was a phase, now it's done, and am meditating instead of drinking wine, and a 50 minute meditation session daily is having a better effect at alleviating anxiety. Quitting is such a roller coaster, but I am heading for month 6, and hope after that things will really improve. Everything is steadily getting better...thanks for your comment here.

For me, every day was different. Six months in I was still having a hell of a time but in a different way then when I was weeks and the early months in. There were some days that were definite WTF days and then there were the ones that just passed by without a thought or a trigger. As your quit progresses you will have more and more "thoughtless" days. I think that is what you mean by "improvement", right? Don't worry those times are coming! I think for me 10 months was the time where I was going through multiple days at a time not thinking about smoking even once.

When I first quit I was having a glass of wine in the evenings as well. That didn't last long for me either. :)

• Like 1

For me, every day was different. Six months in I was still having a hell of a time but in a different way then when I was weeks and the early months in. There were some days that were definite WTF days and then there were the ones that just passed by without a thought or a trigger. As your quit progresses you will have more and more "thoughtless" days. I think that is what you mean by "improvement", right? Don't worry those times are coming! I think for me 10 months was the time where I was going through multiple days at a time not thinking about smoking even once.

When I first quit I was having a glass of wine in the evenings as well. That didn't last long for me either. :)

Thanks for these comments. "Improvement" means handling stress better, I guess. Most of all, getting to that place where the quit no longer has a "special place" in one's life. I hope by next year at this time I will be where you are now, DD. Thank you again for all your comments. They have had a great impact ---  more than you probably imagine...

Thanks for these comments. "Improvement" means handling stress better, I guess. Most of all, getting to that place where the quit no longer has a "special place" in one's life. I hope by next year at this time I will be where you are now, DD. Thank you again for all your comments. They have had a great impact ---  more than you probably imagine...

Ah stress...

I am married to someone who is either deployed and/or training pretty much constantly. We have a host of fur, two skin children, and both of our families put the fun in dysfunctional. There is always some bullcr*p happening and I am usually the one to deal with it.

2014 was a sh*tfest most of the time. So while everything was happening here I was quitting smoking. It gets easier, it really does because to be completely honest I don't think that I would be here smokefree today if it didn't. I realized that either way the sh*t was going to hit the fan and the stress was going to be there whether I smoked or not. All that was different was that I was not a smoker handling everything.  When the ultimate test came to pass  I got through it without so much as a thought.

I am glad that it helps. I am quiet most of time but I do try to post when I feel that someone is going through something similar to me. Just so that you know someone else has been exactly where you are and it gets better. If I made it then anyone can.

• Like 1

I use wine a lot as a "coping" mechanism.

I recently stopped drinking it as much due to diet restrictions. I figure it probably wasn't good for me to have a glass of wine or two a night anyway.

Good for you CPK! 

• Like 1

I use wine a lot as a "coping" mechanism.

I recently stopped drinking it as much due to diet restrictions. I figure it probably wasn't good for me to have a glass of wine or two a night anyway.

Good for you CPK! 

Because when they say a glass of wine is "good" for you, it's one 5 ounce glass, and I've even read that for women it's 2 and 1/2 ounces...and really, I don't know many people who drink 2.5 ounces of wine! It's empty calories, and I think my large (way over 2.5 ounces) glass of wine was giving me high blood pressure, but then you remember me, Leanna, I'm a what do you call it?, health anxious person. I will admit that the wine was a good sedative. better than melatonin or the herb valerian, but too bad, I need to keep experimenting. There's a yoga position where you put your legs up against the wall. Also, I'm trying milk before sleeping. Wine works in the short term, but women, we gotta get real...it's just not a good long-term coping tool. So glad to hear others have tried this and then let it go. Well done!

Ah stress...

I am married to someone who is either deployed and/or training pretty much constantly. We have a host of fur, two skin children, and both of our families put the fun in dysfunctional. There is always some bullcr*p happening and I am usually the one to deal with it.

2014 was a sh*tfest most of the time. So while everything was happening here I was quitting smoking. It gets easier, it really does because to be completely honest I don't think that I would be here smokefree today if it didn't. I realized that either way the sh*t was going to hit the fan and the stress was going to be there whether I smoked or not. All that was different was that I was not a smoker handling everything.  When the ultimate test came to pass  I got through it without so much as a thought.

I am glad that it helps. I am quiet most of time but I do try to post when I feel that someone is going through something similar to me. Just so that you know someone else has been exactly where you are and it gets better. If I made it then anyone can.

Thanks for sharing, Jenn. I think you are a favorite of a lot of people here! I have no advice as to your sad allergy situation. I had allergies but they completely vanished when I quit smoking, it seems. I clean a lot more now, so there's less dust in my house! (I work with horses and do take allergy medicine if I am going to be pitching a lot of hay.) Good Luck. Sometimes allergies improve when overall immunity improves. My brother had allergies and sinus and respiratory problems so bad was hospitalized, but after he had quit smoking for a number of years (maybe 3 or 4?) his overall health started to vastly improve. It took awhile...