No matter what...still saying NOPE.

joe

I'm just checking in so everyone knows that I am still smoke free. I think yesterday was 18 months.. (Nov,20,'13)... I hasn't been a good year, but staying quit has never been an issue.

In the last 18 months, I have experienced one sister (a smoker)diagnosed with lung cancer and having a lobe removed ( last report she was doing great) while she was recovering, my youngest sister was staying with her and learned her husband has throat cancer former smoker..quit 10+ years).. He is having a hard time...many of you remember what my daughter went through 1year ago yesterday..hemmoraged giving birth and almost lost her..was hospitalized for 2 weeks, and spent 6 months at home recovering before she was cleared to work...today her and the baby (Zoey) are doing fine....I had back surgery Dec.30th, and at first thought his was going to be great, but as time goes on, the pain is almost worse in some ways than it was before the sugery... Doc says its normal and I need to give it time...I'm an impatient man :p In Feb my father-in-law passed away.. He was a GREAT man...then in April my oldest sister (55 years old) passed away during sugery .... She had lots of illnesses, mostly due to many years of smoking. (COPD,high blood pressure ,diabetes ,weight issues ect,)

Anyhow, not wanting to sound negative, but rather let any of the newbies know that a lot of really bad shit can happen, but as long as you hold fast to the CHOICE you made not to smoke, you can and will get through it a non smoker.

Thanks to those that inquired to my whereabouts. I'm still lurking in the shadows from time to time, not usually logged in, but I do every once in awhile to check my pm's...that's another bit of advice I can pass on to some of the ones who doesn't think they need to stick around... You do!!... It's like a kind of therapy..stay active here until you have that quit under control...

Anyhow..as usual, I went on rambling..lol.. Soon I hope to be back and meet some of these new quitters I noticed we had come aboard...some of them have a real nice solid quit going...

Have a good (American) holiday week-end everyone!,... Stay safe !!

• Like 11

For an impatient man (you say) you have a lot of patience. What you have gone through is overwhelming just to read and bear witness to (so much trial) -- so hugs. And yes, it is good to read that someone can go through so much and still maintain a solid quit. I needed to hear this because it shows that the solid quit is made up of dedication, courage, and love. Staying healthy is actively loving all your dear ones. Well, Patient Joe, you know I am your forever fan, from the early days of my quit. Thank you for posting. Stay well.

Thanks for your post.  It is therapy to post on this board.  Learning to deal with life on life's terms can be heart wrenching.  I am so sorry for the trials your family has endured this past year.  This cursed addiction has had its way with you and your loved ones.  I am glad you are staying strong and being an example to others that this can be beat and hope is possible.

I'm also sorry for your pain.  Chronic pain is a son-of-a-bitch.  Recently I learned a new meditation technique for dealing with pain.  Maybe it will help you.  When you feel the sensation you call "pain" DO NOT LABEL IT - - do not give words to the sensation.  Just experience it without words and let it run its course.  Just observe it.  I did this with my sciatica and my knee pain (from torn meniscus and ACL) and it has made a world of difference.  I hope it helps you (if even just a little bit).

Congrats on your 18 months!  Thanks for being here.

Awww joe I'm so sorry you are not feeling the benefit of the surgery yet, I know you must be frustrated :(

You are a rock joe, you are a wonderful person with a beautiful family, I'm sorry for your troubles and loses, I hope this year the tide turns and You have a good year xxx

Happy year and a Half, congratulations my friend you are awesome!!!