ok...so..uhhh

I am going on 10 months quit and up until recently I was doing great. I would occasionally have a thought about smoking but nothing major but this last month, since around 9 months quit, its been rough. Yesterday was really, REALLY bad. It felt similar to the beginning of my quit. I smelled someone smoking and had to show great restraint to not go ask them for a cigarette. This has lasted through today so far too. I've spent a good part of the last 2 days rereading everything and staying busy.

Here's my question. Why now? Why after 10 months? And has anyone else experienced this later in their quit?

I think I know the answer to all the questions but I want opinions from others.

• Like 5

Maybe sometimes when we feel really secure with our quits, we think, "Oh, I've got this," the addiction part of our brain kicks back in and tries to fool us into smoking again. 

It's a kind of like a test.  The addiction is trying to pull you back in....  smelling the smoke, feeling like you want it.  Tell that feeling to F-off.  As we all know, if we smoke even one we will be right back to square one.   Smoke stinks and is filled with noxious stinky cancerous addicting chemicals.  Don't get pulled back in.

One thing I used to do when I had cravings even after months of being smoke free, was to virtually smoke.  I would close my eyes and put the cig in my mouth, light it, draw in the smoke.

I would imagine the soggy filter burning my lips, taste the disgusting tarish flavor in my mouth, feel the thick smoke burn my throat and make my lungs tighten.  I'd blow out the stinky smoke, smell it in my hair on my clothes, cough to get rid of that chronic scratchy feeling in the back of my throat. Then wish like hell I was a non-smoker that had never lit up.  Then I'd be so happy, cuz I am a non-smoker now. :)

I did this on several occasions, and it really did get rid of the craving.  You have to vividly remember all the ickiness though - what you really hated about smoking, cuz if you remember it being enjoyable, it will have the opposite effect.  You'll find yourself wanting to smoke more.     

• Like 4

I don't think this is that unusual. I had some late stage craves too. I remember posting here about a crappy month near my first year anniversary. i think I was going out at the time and I was obsessing about being a social smoker, why not. Hmmm. Or I was craving in the car still too.

Keep fighting it. You have the skills. Look forward to your first year coming up,

• Like 4

(((Dentalfloss)))

I visit my neighbor whenever I need a reminder of what smoking was like

Her hair/clothes smells yuk... she coughs a lot... she gets anxious and depressed even though she smokes a pack a day... she has no spare money etc

I know I am not quit as long as some others... yeah it happens... I just go see my neighbor when ever I need a reminder of what was  ;)

• Like 4

Ok. Thanks for all the replies. It's a relief knowing it's not usual to still experience this later in a quit. It's sucks but it's normal.

Ok. Now to answer my questions. I think it's happening now because it's almost summer and it's a new season and I'm worried about doing all the summer stuff without smoking. I quit in the summer but it was later summer and last year was all new and a fight but I'm more relaxed this year and haven't experienced this season without smoking. Plus I'm remembering all the stuff I did in summers past and it has always included smoking. So in short, I'm worried about how I'm gonna handle it.

• Like 4

You're guarding your quit = good, your war is still on-going.

All of us are different. You have an association all of a sudden where you're triggered for some reason to crave a cigarette.

Why now? Good question. What is the trigger? You know so I expect you will tell us.

Maybe you are romancing the cigarette, remembering the "good times" when you smell cig smoke? Junkie thinking creeping in, if you allow it to.

You miss the partying, drinking and smoking as you pleased so you've stayed away from it and now you went to a bar or a party or some function where there is smoking?

You have exercised strict control and suddenly have relaxed for some reason?

You forgot that cigarettes will kill you, you know this but they haven't hurt you personally?

It takes more than 10 months to process all triggers, you are still at war.

Eventually they all disappear.

I havent had a trigger/crave in years....last one was at about 3 years quit. Long time ago and frequency was a couple times that year.

All gone for the last 4 years.

Tell us what you think it is? :)

No. I wasn't partying. I don't do that anymore. Lol

I was leaving a store and someone was smoking outside. I should be over that by now since I'm around smokers without a problem any other time.

• Like 2

6 - 10 months were hard for me, I had set myself for a hard time as I wanted so much to get past 6 months to go past my last failed quit, that's when it went downhill, also alcohol was a major enemy of my quit the post DD posted was one of many during that hard time

I too feared the summer and social events, I think also we spent more time outside doing chores or relaxing drinking etc and smoking was more acceptable as we were outside, giving another false illusion that we were more relaxed etc

I have to say the fear made it worse! the first few times drink plenty of water in between drinks and have a get out plan if things get too hairy, each time you face it, it will get easier, my worse times were when I had too much to drink and the rational brain was pickled ;)

Enjoy your summer DF have a good routine and remember someone is here 24/7 x

• Like 1

A good friend told me that sometimes when near that 1st yr mark in the back of your mind you dread succeeding-I know I thought no way until I threw away am almost 11 month quit. Its just your addiction trying to lure you back on the smokers team.

• Like 5

Hey DF!

I still get moments now. 

They used to really scare me - and I therefore did what you are doing and gave them power.

Now? 

I laugh. Literally I laugh (Helps relax me) and say to myself "That thirty years I smoked - I really ingrained some habits and triggers".

There are literally millions of situations where I used to smoke - it is inevitable that I come across them day by day - even 15 months after I quit.

Don't worry DF - just laugh them off!

• Like 3

I just had a new friend come over for a walk after work.  This made me consider a cigarette for a couple minutes.  Considering cigarettes feels weird sometimes.  Here is a situation where I would have smoked in the past.  She smokes - so it would have been a bonding thing.  And I haven't faced that trigger - so I faced it.  No problemo!!!!

Turned out great.  She was really sweet and didn't smoke during our nearly 2 hour walk.  We smelled the flowering trees and someone was doing their laundry.  I'm glad I didn't have smoke mucking up my senses.

:) Was a nice 6 months today!

• Like 4

I think a lot of us are with you. I wobbled at 9 months with a new trigger of christmas shopping (of all things to really shake my quit). I very nearly asked someone too...but then like you I still chose not too. That's the thing here, we forget how tough those triggers were. I found it helped to treat myself to something visual (I bought a rug) so I could literally see how much better life was with more money and smoke free. xx

• Like 3

HeyDF - late again! Season changes are a big trigger - the addiction tried to fool you that you can't enjoy summer smoke free - but trust me - summer is even better smoke free- you don't have to interrupt fun times for a smoke ! It is normal to occasionally think about smoking this far down your quit ... The trick is to recognise the thought and let go !

Stay strong and treasure that beautiful quit xx

• Like 1

Hi dental floss. I remember 11 months into my quit feeling the same way. I think it's the last ditch effort of the addict brain to try to get you to smoke. Unfortunately for the addict you have been through this rodeo before and have all the tools necessary to outsmart it.

You are A nosmo warrior and I look forward to celebrating your one year

You've got this!

• Like 1

DF,

There will always be the possibility of a relapse since we are addicts! You can never let your guard down!

Every once in a while I still get a little crave but I find the longer you are quit the easier it is to handle them.

Summer will be full of new triggers for all of us but just take a deep breath of clean fresh air and tell that crave to move on, nothing here for you anymore!  

• Like 3