Once you first quit, there is NEVER going back

Although this quit is only 3 days old, I have been quitting since 01/04/2012. In that time, I have learned one thing, once we quit, there is no turning back.

Once you decide to quit, you can never go back to that full-on smoker who never worried about health issues, money issues, or any other smoking related issue. Specifically, any quitter who has learned the slightest little bit about smoking and it's addiction. You can never go back to that person who never thought about quitting. That person is gone forever. No matter how much you smoke, you can never become that person ever again.

So, I have been on this journey for over two years. When I quit, I love it! However, there are those times that I have relapsed. Even on the relapses from the very first puff, I have regretted it. However, that did not stop the addiction. Some relapses lasted one hour, some for several months. All the while during a relapse, I still wanted to be a nonsmoker.

I know now that I have to go all the way through. I have to make it to the lido deck. This ride has gone on for far too long. As I saw in somebody's tag line that said something along the lines of: 'If you want off this ride quit standing in line for a ticket.' That's what I have been doing for two years. Getting on the ride, getting off when it just started and going back for a ticket. Getting back on the ride, perhaps riding until almost the end, because I still don't know when the end is, and jumping off to run around for another ticket. How many times have I gotten back in line? (That's another story)

Well, this time, I am locked into my seat on the ride and riding all the way to the end. I am finally  going to find the end of this ride.

• Like 10

Good post Iam...and so very true.

Lol @ Marti's NOT just loves young dream.

I always knew the other times were 'how long will I last' times. Lovely to finally be in a completely different position, physically and mentally free. Like you say Iam...you just know don't you, and I can tell this is your sticky quit too. Really made up for you :)

• Like 1

Great Post Iam and thanks for sharing with us, its definitely a mind over matter and you got this, determination is great, well done and keep on climbing up and don't get off the ride this time, your doing fantastic 

• Like 1

Iamdoingit, you ARE gonna win this time, I have that feeling just from reading what you write.  It took me almost two years to decide that I was finally done.  You are right, once you quit, it sucks when you relapse because you now know that you can't continue like this and live happily... it's a neverending battle until you've had enuf and you just look that ugly cig in the eye and let it know you're the boss now... besides, do you want COPD?  I have very mild COPD (mild enuf that I don't need inhalers or medication)... this disease won't get any worse if I never smoke again but it is pretty much irreversible... so be strong and live long! :)

This time around, have yourself a backup plan: something else to do when you crave: hard candy, sunflower seeds, flavored toothpicks, my cig-size plastic straws... keep a short list of why you want to be a non-smoker and pull it out and read it, remind yourself why you are now a non-smoker.  Stay close to this forum, especially the first year.

We are gonna get you thru the hard times because damnit, I, for one, am gonna make sure you don't relapse this time!

Rain :)

• Like 2

You so got this! I know it.

I can't imagine going back to smoking as I know that I couldn't even pretend to enjoy it after I have been quit even just this long. Especially when I know how awesome it feels being free.

• Like 1

When all is said and done at the end of the day we are only human and sometimes no matter how wise or how much we try we can fail...but failure is not a bad thing, it will make you stronger.  We have all failed at something at some point in our lives, so the fact that you are doing this again means you are going to succeed.  Never hate yourself for failing....Love yourself for trying....To err is human to forgive is divine.

KTQ you will I know you will.

:)

• Like 2

Hhhmm??? Maybe she was talking about someone else???

That song " You're So Vain " comes to mind... lol

Carly Simon I think.....

More wine please!!!

Lmao !!!!

How many people on here have that in their signature ???? Of course it was you.

Now you can resume your vainness......fully justified. lol

• Like 1

Although this quit is only 3 days old, I have been quitting since 01/04/2012.

So, I have been on this journey for over two years. When I quit, I love it! However, there are those times that I have relapsed. Even on the relapses from the very first puff, I have regretted it. However, that did not stop the addiction. Some relapses lasted one hour, some for several months. All the while during a relapse, I still wanted to be a nonsmoker.

This ride has gone on for far too long. As I saw in somebody's tag line that said something along the lines of: 'If you want off this ride quit standing in line for a ticket.' That's what I have been doing for two years. Getting on the ride, getting off when it just started and going back for a ticket. Getting back on the ride, perhaps riding until almost the end, because I still don't know when the end is, and jumping off to run around for another ticket. How many times have I gotten back in line? (That's another story)

I needed this. Thank you so much. I've been quitting since February 02, 2013. And not feeling very proud of myself for it.

But I do know that it's all a learning process. And I will never ever give up.

• Like 2

There is no need for anyone drinking alone. I will take one for the team. :)

Ok it is 5.00 somewhere in the world - oh that's right it is 5.00 here - so wine it is 3daa4cc69413a4a4fda538b0ecb14120_zps9b10

Back to the original post - love it IAM - with that attitude you have this quit nailed 3daa4cc69413a4a4fda538b0ecb14120_zps9b10