Not Getting easier

cpk

Hey sweetie - I'm late to this but just wanted to say - I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal for where you are at .... Your quit is still relatively young and it is natural to feel emotional. I personally am surprised I am still married after the tears and tantrums I experienced in the early months of my quit ..... But please know it does get better and soon you will be experiencing all the wonderful benefits of quitting .... And in the interim we are here to support you :-)

• Like 3

Aww late to this, sorry my lovely. I want to echo some of this.

Some of us, me included, quit the slightly harder way. In that we have other stuff that needs dealing with at the same time as the quit. I too was going through mind bendingly painful scenarios as I quit...my quit actually highlighted them. It brought existing issues that I had ignored to light in a very real way. I suffered behind the scenes. I say this as I found yoga really helped me (once I stopped giggling and tilting sideways a lot). I actually started it at around month 3,exactly where you are. I want to say that some parts of the quit were more emotional than others and it kinda seemed frightening with the physical concerns and mental concerns. Yoga helped and my buddy telling me over and over that smoking was done, we were quit already...what joy!!  Damn if it sounds like you need some of that joy right now.

Try this yoga unless you have a prefered one...she is spiritual and natural   

It's perfectly fine to feel like a fool, stick with it for a few days or a couple of times a week.

Introduce some time in a day to release the emotions if you need to. In the shower, you need to cry, do it! You need to scream, do it. Punch a pillow if you're angry. Run. But stop letting it all well up inside you, get it out of you.

Spiritually there is power in your thoughts, some call it positive thinking, I call it manifesting but same end goal. Don't want something, give it less head room. Want more of something, start thinking of it favourably.

The quit is not to blame. It's tough to hear. The quit is a good and beautiful thing. that said the quit really does take some real time to bed in. Month 4 was so lovely and peaceful for me, a real respite from what felt like a bit of a battering from the quit before that. Others felt easy sooner. Doesn't really matter I promise, I'm still as happy quit today as the easy peasy crew were, it all ends in the same place.  And that's what I want to add, it ends! It really really does. So that a smoking thought is a weird thing, not a normal thing. So that you stop the snotfest or the banshee wails, it all takes it time to teach you about that part of the quit and once the lesson is learnt, like in life, the problem passes naturally. 

Don't be scared by what's happening. It's easy to fear this, but there is nothing to fear. Your brain is so busy processing multiple things that it flits. So you over think. Stop gooling illnesses!! You are not ill, you're healing :)  I promise.

x

• Like 5

I DO have other problems. I'm not going to spill all my beans on a public forum. However, what you say is true. The quit started out as something I wanted to get out of the way so I could improve the rest of my life. Now the quit is like a Paper Tiger. In my mind, it's big, and it roars, but maybe it's not all that strong. Made of paper. Flimsy. Poof. Easy to blow out of the way. I should just blow it out of the way. I'm not going out and looking for second hand smoke to breathe in to get a fix. I'm done with smoking.You are right. The quit is not my main problem. I'm just using it as a coat hanger. Thanks.

Quoting my quote. I didn't explain properly. I didn't mean my quit wasn't strong. I meant maybe I was blowing the problems out of proportion. Or making them too big and scary. Not everyone is the same kind of smoker. I smoked mainly to keep anxiety in check. I had a high stress profession, and gave it up this year and then quit smoking to further reduce anxiety. Everyone is right. This is a process.

• Like 1

Thanks, Marti Smarty. I was thinking of doing some bikram yoga classes because of the heat. I spend a lot of evenings over a steam vaporizor. I live in a VERY DRY climate (desert mesa) so maybe I could give my lungs a bit of moisture,

Yes, I do have other stressful things. Quitting smoking was part of my plan to eliminate stress! It will in the long run. But now...it's hard. I have read your blog and your older posts, Marti, so I know a bit of what you went through.

Thank you for all you wrote.

• Like 1

Guys: Joe suggested early in my quit to get more protein in my diet. I never was a big sugar eater, and now realize I have been eating more carbs/sugar last months since quitting. May have destabilized blood sugar levels, causing mood swings. Have now switched to diet with high quality protein, and vegetables and no more refined carbs or sugar. Mega vitamins, omega3 too.

Also, this week switched to half caffeine/have decaf coffee. I think I should have done this from start. Yes, tymie, my staple during early quit was hibiscus tea (herbal, no caffeine) but then I started drinking more coffee to counteract fatigue.

I'm not much of a pillow beater, but yoga is a no brain-er. I'll be doing the legs on the wall thing, tymie. (I already take melatonin)

I will be known as the person who wanted to condense a first year quit into three months!!  Not a good idea, because as bakon says, it only adds strain to keep pushing, pushing, pushing the quit.

Also, (for Rob and me) there are herbal lung support herbal tinctures. Maybe they don't do much but I feel better when I take them. Have stuff in them like lobelia and mullein.  Rob, get at health food store. Jackie, less thinking! Ta! Good Advice!!! Tracey, more laptop meditation music.  Bakon, "Amen" (RnRoll Jes CD) is all the KR I need for this quit. The best of KD is in that CD!

SORRY FOR THE FREAK OUT. I NEEDED HELP. THANK YOU SO MUCH, ALL, FOR ADVICE AND CYBER HUGS!

• Like 4

Regarding chest tightness, glad others are experiencing this as well (in the sense that what I've been experiencing probably isn't life threatening). Over the past couple of weeks I've had instances where I am feeling short of breath, even when idle. Hope it's just anxiety/recovery process as googling symptoms - as suggested - is scary business!

I have googled this chest tightness thing tons! Not once did I get anything that helped!!! I am going to stop!!! I'm going to try herbal tincture (here in US called "lung support") with mullein and lobelia. Can get at health food store. Yoga. Swimming. And "forget about it" and do something else. I promised Leanne - NO MORE GOOGLING. You too, Rob!

• Like 2

I just want to send you a virtual but a very real hug cpk  :wub:

At 10 weeks... I want to remind you that you are past all the physical withdrawal symptoms of quit smoking

You are approaching the 3 months mark and much of what you are feeling emotionally will pass and is quit normal

Quit smoking is the gift that keeps on giving over time

You already have better blood circulation to your extremities i.e. finger and toes... your lungs are already healing and risk of heart attach is already reduced

Please go back to your list of why you quit and look at the benefits you have already experienced on the list... your mind is in a fog just atm

Trust me/us... it does get better sweetie  ;)

I felt that hug!!! :D

• Like 1

Along the lines of what Marti said, I would like to make a suggestion. Many here seem to have difficulty handling the stress of quitting smoking, and the stress of the life related changes. Maybe ways of handling this stress should be explored further rather than looking for physical solutions.

Mindfulness, and mediation has been mentioned by several folks here and could not agree more. Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn wrote a book years ago called "Full Catastrophe Living". This book, which is written within the context of a stress reduction clinic, can be very helpful as a method of change. Here is a brief discussion about mindfulness if anyone is interested. Full Catastrophe Living has been around for many years and is available in any book store or library.

Hope this is of some help.

• Like 2

I smoked mainly to keep anxiety in check. 

Here in lies the bingo for many folks.  We used cigs and the break/escape from life's pressures as a coping tool. Now that it's gone, we need to find new methods to deal with life.  We serve ourselves better by seeking ways of managing life in a healthy way, rather than focusing on the void that has been left.  If that makes sense.  

Marti, thanks for sharing the clip.

• Like 7

Here in lies the bingo for many folks.  We used cigs and the break/escape from life's pressures as a coping tool. Now that it's gone, we need to find new methods to deal with life.  We serve ourselves better by seeking ways of managing life in a healthy way, rather than focusing on the void that has been left.  If that makes sense.  

Marti and Runfree I so agree. CPK keep looking forward. Life will always have a curve ball where we least expect it. Smoking isn't a solution to anything any problem..it's a choice. Actually the smoking adds more physical and mental stress.

I was in an accident and watched my cousin die at just a bit over 2 months quit. I wanted to die I was a mess... One minute we were laughing the next the sound of metal crushing and glass breaking and he was gone.I took a few weeks off QT to regroup but found I needed my QT family. I refused to let this tragedy be my excuse to smoke. I could have justified it, shit people on here would most likely understand but I didnt, I wanted to but told myself nope and that if I was going to smoke it was my ridiculous choice not a tragedy not stress no one's choice but mine.

So, CPK, stay strong everyday every stressful moment make it your choice!

• Like 3

I am a certified mindfulness meditation instructor. This may be why I know with certainty I will keep this quit. Without mindfulness meditation training I would probably have dumped this quit by now, so I consider my training to be working. Mindfulness meditation practice allows whatever happening to breathe more fully, but in a personality prone to anxiety the anxiety isn't completely eradicated. Quitting smoking is a destabilizing event, not just mentally but physically. Long time meditators who smoke have the same amount of angst not smoking as anyone else. Just go on a 10 day or month long retreat...and you'll find plenty of folk suffering while refraining from smoking during the longer meditation sessions.  In my training everything is taken into consideration including diet, exercise, sun and fresh air exposure, one's environment, and those people one chooses to be with. I'm glad this was brought up because it reminds me that anxiety should not be seen as a failure, but more what Marti calls (and I love this!) a brain flit, or a series of brain flits that cause a certain mood. It just is. I actually feel better from writing this. It's one of many of the brain flits that happen while quitting. Thanks Smarti!!!

• Like 3

Marti and Runfree I so agree. CPK keep looking forward. Life will always have a curve ball where we least expect it. Smoking isn't a solution to anything any problem..it's a choice. Actually the smoking adds more physical and mental stress.

I was in an accident and watched my cousin die at just a bit over 2 months quit. I wanted to die I was a mess... One minute we were laughing the next the sound of metal crushing and glass breaking and he was gone.I took a few weeks off QT to regroup but found I needed my QT family. I refused to let this tragedy be my excuse to smoke. I could have justified it, shit people on here would most likely understand but I didnt, I wanted to but told myself nope and that if I was going to smoke it was my ridiculous choice not a tragedy not stress no one's choice but mine.

So, CPK, stay strong everyday every stressful moment make it your choice!

Inspiring, and uplifting. Thank you for sharing this. I remember you mentioning before having overcome great adversity, and this story is mind-blowing. I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure, as Bakon says, there are many behind-the-scene stories. Thank you for sharing yours...a reminder of the persevering human spirit!

• Like 1

The whole chemical brain mechanism was hijacked by nicotine and all the other poisons in cigarettes. No one knows for sure how long it takes for healthy brain reregulation to occur. I think Mike offered some good links on this awhile back. That's why support forums are great. People supporting people through no man's land while the brain is repairing itself, and behaviors are being rewired. I love cyber hugs! :wub:

• Like 1

Regarding chest tightness, glad others are experiencing this as well (in the sense that what I've been experiencing probably isn't life threatening). Over the past couple of weeks I've had instances where I am feeling short of breath, even when idle. Hope it's just anxiety/recovery process as googling symptoms - as suggested - is scary business!

Hey Rob. I think a number of people here have experienced chest tightness & some have experienced shortness of breath In my research I read that some chest tightness occurs as a part of the lung clearing process & the tightness creates anxiety which creates more chest tightness. We're all different & a trip to your Physician might be indicated. Knowing things are all ok will give you peace of mind Congratulations on your Quit!

• Like 2

I started herbs today and already feel some relief. "Lung support" tonic with mullein, lobelia, passionflower etc. Also taking nettles. They are to soothe respiratory inflammation. I think it's partly anxiety, party inflamed and irritated bronchial tissue. Yes, I too would advise seeing your physician if that's the usual path you take.

I'm feeling better. I think the caffeine in coffee increased my anxiety. Guess I learned firsthand that coffee really does pack more power after you quit. I'm now drinking almost entirely decaf coffee. Think I had better stick with that for awhile. :)

• Like 2

I started herbs today and already feel some relief. "Lung support" tonic with mullein, lobelia, passionflower etc. Also taking nettles. They are to soothe respiratory inflammation. I think it's partly anxiety, party inflamed and irritated bronchial tissue. Yes, I too would advise seeing your physician if that's the usual path you take.

I'm feeling better. I think the caffeine in coffee increased my anxiety. Guess I learned firsthand that coffee really does pack more power after you quit. I'm now drinking almost entirely decaf coffee. Think I had better stick with that for awhile. :)

SO glad you are feeling better CPK! The articles Mike provided links to re brain healing are under Withdrawal Problems on the first page. They explain a lot & the knowledge reduces anxiety. Your posts are so open & honest and you have a great sense of humour. You are not ONLY an Ex Smoker you know....you are wonderful YOU! Remember that!

• Like 1

put peppermint on your window....worked for sonic and marcus the bopsy twins

Herbs are not for cravings. Herbs are to help repair lung damage, bronchial damage. You didn't get serious about cardio until about 10 months into your quit, right? Cuz just a little scary, right? Admit it! Maybe I am being antsy and scardy but exercise is next big thing...jog/walk, 10K race, 5K race, swimming. Cardio.This whole post was a brain fart. I just drank too much coffee and started thinking too much. Too much empty space left in my life where maybe I smoked. I used to write and smoke, read and smoke. Lost taste for those things. Sitting down stuff. Want running around stuff. Getting antsy, reading too much, posting too much. Want Phase II to begin: Life free of talking about and thinking about smoking. Bad, dead relationship. Can never be "friends." F.O.A.D. TO SMOKES.

• Like 2

I have never gone cardio nuts like the exercisists in here. Just gym time and moving to get some fat off me. I own a car, don't run anywhere. Walk the dogs so they don't get fat too. I ride a bicycle on occasion too, again fat thing. I like food and beer, so its just a balance, not doing any-k. Wheels for those distances.

I lift to keep muscle, not be a bodybuilder. Need strength but lean is more important now that I broke into late 40's. SO I am 3-4 times a week doing the gym, but not on weekend, don't mind skipping a day, took two months off recently just because I wanted to take a break, my advise, Just move some. few times a week.

• Like 2

I have never gone cardio nuts like the exercisists in here. Just gym time and moving to get some fat off me. I own a car, don't run anywhere. Walk the dogs so they don't get fat too. I ride a bicycle on occasion too, again fat thing. I like food and beer, so its just a balance, not doing any-k. Wheels for those distances.

I lift to keep muscle, not be a bodybuilder. Need strength but lean is more important now that I broke into late 40's. SO I am 3-4 times a week doing the gym, but not on weekend, don't mind skipping a day, took two months off recently just because I wanted to take a break, my advise, Just move some. few times a week.

Thanks. I am agreeing with you that smoking needs to be put in its place. In the past. Not an issue. I agree that it is best to not over-think, which the village idiot is kind enough to remind me of from time to time. :)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, this thread was mainly about health anxiety. I am STILL AT IT...posting about herbs and such. Hard habit to break. This probably stems from guilt about smoking, which is really not necessary. I think good answer about health and quitting smoking is, try to enjoy your quit, and wait for 9 months to a year, patiently. That is just what its going to take. A year of seasons, and changes, and transitions. One year is my magic number.

• Like 1

I like running when I want. Or need. Like Ava running for her plane. Like Babs running away from the surprise stranger staying at her vacation house. Mike running away from the parking meters. Tom and DD running towards a cure. A lot a running on this site. Infectious...not like smokers' world where everyone sitting on their butts watching sports and yada yada being social critis 'bout everythin' wrong with the world. Just sayin...Frez especially makes it seem like fun to run...she works, runs, drinks her wine...then rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

Just move some. few times a week.

Good advice there mr bakon.

You didn't get serious about cardio until about 10 months into your quit, right?

Why wait? The best thing that you can do for your lungs is use them.

Some of us exercised while we were smoking, albeit somewhat less efficiently, and then simply continued after quitting -- it's a great way to see how much your lungs improve in a short period.

I'm curious whether those who waited for sometime before getting serious about exercise after quitting still believe that waiting was the right thing to do or whether they would have started sooner knowing what they know now? Please do tell.

• Like 2