Ignorance is no longer and excuse

Tink

It would have been my dad's s 67th birthday today, unfortunately he died of lung cancer at 49

You would have thought that it would have made me quit then, but no :(

I still had an addiction and no real education about it, of course I knew some of the risks but shut them out as any addict does and thought I'm still young I have plenty of time to quit :(

When I did quit, my feelings were of anger towards my dad, I thought well if I could do it why didn't he? And he might still be here!

As time has gone on I no longer feel angry just sad as in my dad's days smoking was a macho thing to do, all the film actors were displayed doing it, advertisements were everywhere and the negatives were not well known (published), internet wasn't around for free information at his finger tips

Knowing what I know now from media coverage, the bans and the support forums he didn't stand a chance really, maybe if he had lived another 10, 15 years his eyes could have been opened to what we have available to us now

I hope any lurkers out there sitting on the fence make the right choices for themselves and their families

Ignorance is no longer an excuse, we are fortunate to have so much at our disposal at this very time to beat this addiction but you have to want to take that first step!

One step at a time anything is possible x

• Like 10

A sad and honest post Tracey....smoking was advertised everywhere.....

it was made to look good....collecting coupons for prizes....I remember my mum smoking more when she seen something she wanted ..

When I look back....blackening your lungs more for what.....oh yes a nice fancy lighter.....

im sorry about your dad Tracey..so young.....xx

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry for your loss. Way, way way too young for a parent to die. This post also reminds me of how fortunate I am to have found the resources for a good, solid quit. I think I will try to be a bit more brave, and grateful. Perhaps your Dad did try to quit, quiet like. Maybe my Dad did too, but I just don't recall. (My father did have periods where he smoked a pipe, and not cigarettes. Who knows, maybe this was a quit attempt?) Anyway, I have everything I need for a good quit, and I think this post has hit home how lucky I am. In memory of our fathers...

• Like 3

He is so proud of you for all that you are doing to help others! xxxx

So sorry for your tragic loss, Tracey...he was so young!  I do believe Rez is right...your Dad is very proud of you and all you do to help others break their addiction.

• Like 2

So Sorry Tracey so young, same age as I am now, just re-enforces what I am doing, be sure that your dad is watching over you and is very proud of his daughter.  Its still the addiction in the back of our heads telling us "it will never happen to me", we have to be louder than our addiction and be heard above it, "It can and it will happen to you". "You can Quit", xxx

• Like 1

Tracey I am so sorry my love, that is incredibly young.

He would be so proud of you and all the support you've shown to other quitters now and relief, bet he's taken a big sigh of relief to see you quit and happier. Those that have lost someone to smoking don't always connect the dots :( Time and access is teaching us though, and it warms my heart to see new younger quitters too. 

So sorry for your sadness though. xx

• Like 2

Aw hun, I'm so sorry for your loss. </3 I know what it's like to lose a parent and there are no words. It's the most heartbreaking thing I've ever experienced. My mom also grew up in a generation where everyone smoked; it was the "cool" thing to do. She lost her toe (and eventually her life) due to plaque build-up in her arteries, which was worsened by smoking. She tried to quit for three weeks after the amputation of her toe, but she was surrounded by smokers and it was too difficult for her at the time. I know now that this is an excuse us addicts like to use, but she didn't have the same resources at her disposal that I do. I will admit that I was angry with her for a long time after her death, but I can't fault her for doing something that I used to do as well.

There really is no excuse. Hiding away from the facts of smoking doesn't make them go away. You are only kidding yourself and giving yourself false hope that nothing bad will happen to you. It's a lie. 

• Like 2