Getting out of Babble Land...

cpk

Wow. The mind games around smoking and quitting smoking.

I have thought about this because I'm stuck between point A and point C...in B...Babble Land. Babbling on but not moving into new dreams.

When I read of people's dreams - and usually on other sites (about health issues) they are still smoking while dreaming aloud - I think, yeah, but wait until you are in the middle of the quit...anxious, bloated, can't focus, avoiding triggers, just trying to get your health back...

That's why I'm going to sign up for a summer 10K this week. I have the option to run, jog, or walk it. 10K...that's what? Around 6 miles?

It's a nutty dream. But I'm tired of being in Babble Land. I'm tired of wearing tight big girl pants. I'm tired of not actualizing ALL MY DREAMS.

After people quit -- without moving out of babble land, they can start feeling...is that all? Well, yes, in a way, hey, isn't it?  That is, the quitting smoking part. Nope. Done. Dusted. Just N.O.P.E.

But what about life? Shouldn't life get more exciting?

When I was a kid and watched people in my family smoke I used to think, "All they do is smoke and talk, smoke and talk. They sit for hours and smoke and talk."

In my mind, smoking was a lot about staying in Babble Land. Yada yada. Yakity-Yak. Smokers can sure talk. Until they lose their breath and start coughing!

The worst that can happen with this race is I would have to walk it. But I would still have participated. I would still get the tee shirt.

I'd be out of Babble Land...instead of babbling about my new life I'd be actualizing it. Right?

Quitting was such a big goal. Then I went into No Man's Land. But it's not for me. I can't just march. I've always been a goal driven person. I'm posting this to make that whisper (maybe I could register for that 10K just for the fun of it?) into a goal made public.

Because I believe this...you can chase the devils out of your house but they are doing push ups in the parking lot. Without a definite goal I'm vulnerable. And I mean a goal that's simple and well-defined and personally challenging. At 10 weeks I'm still pretty vulnerable...and can't afford to get stuck in Babble Land.

PS This post has nothing to do with Babs. I think I remember she got that name because she babbled? Frankly, I have NEVER seen this. Maybe it was another time and place? I only thought about that after writing this post. I for one think Babs writes very succinct, thoughtful posts. I've become the babbler. sorry. :mellow:

• Like 12

Excellent post cpk!

We will be routing for you, goals are important and will pull you forward

Is it a local run or charity etc?

Walk, skip or run no matter just doing it will be great :)

Local, historical, and very well-known. Maybe will disclose after I participate. Not charity, and open to the masses. Different levels. Other years would have spent the day in another town where I could smoke in peace. How pathetic is that???  :( I think I have new energy that's turning into anxiety. I read somewhere on here that Frez did a race early into her quit and that has been on my mind all week...and inspired me to set this goal. So thank you, Frez. :)

• Like 2

Hey CPK - what a great goal .... I loved how exercise made me feel when I quit ... Breathing in clean Air ... So I truely believe this will help your quit ... And can't wait to hear the progress reports :-)

Oh and I hear you re the a bit bigger than I would like big girl pants ! :-)

• Like 1

Good on you!  Something to strive toward is always a good thing.  If I can recommend one important thing...take some of that money you have saved and invest in a really good pair of shoes (and sox!).  Go to a running store and have a proper fitting done.  It will make a world of difference.

ETA:  conditioning is important.  jumping in with gusto might sideline you with an injury so find a good training program that will get you to the Start line with a healthy body.

• Like 1

Thanks. Any tips on how to avoid the dreaded shin splints (is that what they are called?) would be helpful.  I'm going to start with walk jog intervals, and of course, warm ups and cool downs. I think short sessions. I tend to overdo all projects like this and injure myself with pushing too hard in the beginning. I'm in decent shape while being out-of-shape, if you know what I mean...

Doing a Couch to 5k program has worked for a lot of people.  Maybe a joining a local running club where you can get tips on form/stride.  Worry about your pace/speed later.  Maybe jump on a running forum for beginners and read up.

• Like 3

Thanks, RF. I have good pair of shoes to start. Goal to buy a new pair so will save up. I have to go to the running store to register. They put you on a running machine, and for this race, when you register they help you determine where you fit in, category-wise. They will record the info and give you a print out. I tell you, doing all this is more scary than going to the doctor's post-quit! Main thing is not to injure myself stupidly over-training. I am going to take the patience I learned from quitting smoking and apply it to this. The absolute worst that can happen is that this year I might have to walk the race. Oh, and this store always kicks in a pair of great running sox if someone is as pathetic as I am and seems to need a boost.

Yeah, RF, I would prefer a 5K, but this is a pretty big annual race and I just want to participate. There's tons of online information as I live in an insanely sports oriented place. This is the last place on earth someone should be a smoker. Maybe I'll register for the 10K for the significance factor...but truly, your advice is the best. I will also look for a 5K.

Oh MY Lord, I hate smoking! I hate what it took from me. I used to be soooooo active. Smoking does it over time, and you hardly know it's happening.

I think frequent short sessions to start would be best. I do not want to get an injury. I also have access to swimming, hot tub, sauna, to soothe muscles.

I'm all set, right RF?

Hey CPK - what a great goal .... I loved how exercise made me feel when I quit ... Breathing in clean Air ... So I truely believe this will help your quit ... And can't wait to hear the progress reports :-)

Oh and I hear you re the a bit bigger than I would like big girl pants ! :-)

pippa!!  always there for me!!!  thank you!  :wub:

Hey 10k girl!

Good for you! I'm no expert at all, I went from not being a runner to doing 10k, so you can as well.

My tips for what they are worth, train in small distances, run and walk,  build your way up, don't get down if you find it really hard, next time will be easier.

And always don't forget, you can do it - you really bloody can!

• Like 3

Thank you, larks!  People CAN walk this race if they want, or even jog slow as a tortoise. The reason is they (the race people) want to invite people to get out of their comfort zones, and to get out and participate. They always do stories on people who do it for the first time. But the coolest thing, larks, is I can't think about this race and smoking at the same time! They don't go together. It's an automatic laughing down strategy. :pleasantry: I've already got training schedules posted online to bring me from couch to 10K. I wasn't starting because I was scared.  :blush:     Well, now I say, scare my butt all the way to the finish line. :dance4: :rofl:

• Like 2

I REALLY BLOODY CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

• Like 4

Thank you, all. The main thing I have heard is take it slow. I hate sports injuries. They spoil all the fun. Just wanted you guys to know I heard you on this. I AM SO CYKED. My quit needed some pump. It was starting to lag. And the amazing thing is when I think or talk about this RACE all thoughts of smoking just recede and get swept out of my consciousness like little dust shadows that belong in the past and have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRESENT. THANK YOU, ALL. THE STRONG QUIT IS THE SMART QUIT.

• Like 1

excellent  thread and responses...I am loving the vibe on the Quit Train!

cpk....bakon nicknamed me babbles a long time ago because I "babbled on and on" on a post of his.  Sometimes when I feel very passionately about a subject...I do tend to go on about it...Ive been pretty good lately.  Thanks for the compliment.  :)

and Karl is right...you can absolutely do it!!  woo hoo!

• Like 3

I'm all set, right RF?

There's a big component missing and that is to have FUN!  Drop your shoulders, relax your hands, breath from your diaphragm and have a soft smile on your face.  And, if there are any chi running groups in your area, check them out.  I plan on trying them when I'm back on the road.

I have a friend who was 74 when he ran his last marathon.  He's still running 1/2s.  His main advice always was to enjoy it.

• Like 3

Oh MY Lord, I hate smoking! I hate what it took from me. I used to be soooooo active. Smoking does it over time, and you hardly know it's happening.

It's the same effect as quitting but in reverse.  We don't realize the improvements in the moment, but we do over time. :)

• Like 2

excellent  thread and responses...I am loving the vibe on the Quit Train!

cpk....bakon nicknamed me babbles a long time ago because I "babbled on and on" on a post of his.  Sometimes when I feel very passionately about a subject...I do tend to go on about it...Ive been pretty good lately.  Thanks for the compliment.   :)

and Karl is right...you can absolutely do it!!  woo hoo!

Hmm haha yeah, thought I read something but couldn't quite remember. He said one of my posts was mumble jumble or something like that so glad i didn't turn up as MumbleJumbo! But think it might actually fit!!!  I'm in a kind of rapture right now because I've discovered I can't think about running and smoking at the same time. In fact, am going out RIGHT NOW TO START DAY ONE.  Slow easy walk jog at snails pace. Also, think ABS challenge pix need posting before you head out for your vacation, am I right Babs. Congrats. I read the threads and my abs hurt just reading that stuff, not to mention my tailbone. Ouch! Byebye, i want a baseball cap i can turn round backwards. (okay for ladies, any age :) )

• Like 1

There's a big component missing and that is to have FUN!  Drop your shoulders, relax your hands, breath from your diaphragm and have a soft smile on your face.  And, if there are any chi running groups in your area, check them out.  I plan on trying them when I'm back on the road.

I have a friend who was 74 when he ran his last marathon.  He's still running 1/2s.  His main advice always was to enjoy it.

Haha. This did make me laugh. Perhaps this is the best sage advice. When I relax into my quit I feel good about what I've accomplished. I wasn't really thinking as much about fun as a challenge with this new goal. So there you go. I will look into the chi running thing. It sounds totally cool.

Hey Char...

I would also recommend the "couch-to-5k" program.. I'm sure it can be adapted to 10k, if they don't already have that one... Me and my wife started running last year... We started out following the program...Keep in mind we are both over 50, and the last time either of us could remember running was in high school...lol... I cannot say how much I enjoyed it... It felt great to get up at 5am...run /(walk) about 3 miles..before I got ready for work... I had to stop running when my back was causing too much pain... When I get closer to feeling 100% I will start running again..until then, I walk.. My wife has kept it up...well..she is a fair weather runner...lol..our winter was brutal this year, so she didn't get out as much as she would have liked but she really enjoyed it also. (She is a never smoker)

One thing I would recommend is finding different places to run ..we have a bike trail less than 1/4 mile from our house, so that is where most of our running takes place...but we mix it up..we also run at an abandoned quarry... It's 2 miles around the top rim and very scenic... I will have to post some pics.

So.. I encourage you to look at the couch to 5k program..start slow and have fun...

• Like 1

Hey Char...

I would also recommend the "couch-to-5k" program.. I'm sure it can be adapted to 10k, if they don't already have that one... Me and my wife started running last year... We started out following the program...Keep in mind we are both over 50, and the last time either of us could remember running was in high school...lol... I cannot say how much I enjoyed it... It felt great to get up at 5am...run /(walk) about 3 miles..before I got ready for work... I had to stop running when my back was causing too much pain... When I get closer to feeling 100% I will start running again..until then, I walk.. My wife has kept it up...well..she is a fair weather runner...lol..our winter was brutal this year, so she didn't get out as much as she would have liked but she really enjoyed it also. (She is a never smoker)

One thing I would recommend is finding different places to run ..we have a bike trail less than 1/4 mile from our house, so that is where most of our running takes place...but we mix it up..we also run at an abandoned quarry... It's 2 miles around the top rim and very scenic... I will have to post some pics.

So.. I encourage you to look at the couch to 5k program..start slow and have fun...

Thanks, Joe. Wow, you sneaky runner, you never posted anything about this!  Got trails aplenty right out my door. This race is 10K but I found out I can go in the jog/walk wave. It (the race) has significance because for years I dreamed about doing it, and never made it real. This year I make it real. It's my Rocky moment. Haha.

I think they have a couch to 10k out there mmmmm.... http://www.myrunningtips.com/couch-to-10k.html ..... here i one website I found on it.... I had tried the couch to 5k the first time and I gave up, but a girl at work who runs told me to train by distance and that worked for me for example 1st week I ran .5 mile then next Increased it to 1 mile all the way up to 2 miles she said to stay at 2 miles for 2 weeks then increase it again for example the next run would be 2.5 then 2.75 up until 3.1 or 5k it can be adapted to 10k or 6.2 miles if that works for you or give the couch to 5k/10k a shot.......I typically run 6.5 miles when I run outside I do not typically worry about how fast I am going as much as enjoying the run.....even if you have to walk a bit to catch your breathe so to speak that is okay. Dont worry about how fast or slow you run just run. :)

• Like 3