Insomnia

cpk

One of the newbies asked a question about insomnia. Perhaps others on here have something to say?

I'm not much help. I use melatonin, War and Peace, and posting. As none of these are very effective

I'm going to be pulling out the big guns of swimming, sauna, and the dreaded treadmill in the evening.

I don't care what's thrown at me, I will stay with not smoking forever. Still, these side effects of

quitting can be a drag, and for some, a real problem.

Please help this newbie out. It's on another thread...

• Like 4

Insomnia affects us all at some point, my remedy I have a 10 year old and Im nearly 50 that is enough to make me sleep for weeks, I also have anti depressants and HRT, throw in a mix of a job, housework, a hyperactive husband and well it speaks for itself,  All joking aside insomnia is a horrible affliction, (can I call it that!), we all have to find what works, it will pass, its frustrating at the time and the more we stress the more the insomnia will remain, herbal remedies work wonders if no-one wants to turn to chemical release, hot baths, soothing music, camomile tea, swift whiskey, whatever works just try to go with it, do not force it, stress or worry about it tis all part of the journey and  if it becomes too much a short trip to your GP to reassure you that all is well can help too.  xx

• Like 3

Thanks CPK & Jackie. I SO appreciate the suggestions for insomnia. It truly is a terrible thing to go through. I finally tried Gravol an hour before bed...100 mg....and it has worked for 2 nights!! Once I get myself back on a schedule I know I will feel better. I am unable to take Melatonin but I know this works well for others. I yotally agree that being tired at night because you have been so busy all day is also a huge help & I have increased my activity level. I think feeling depressed unfortunately turned to insomnia & then a vicious circle erupted. I'm working on it! Hopefully those of us who do develop this sleep problem will gain valuable suggestions & support from this Group as we learn to cope with our new selves & new way of life. Our new life is a better life!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

A quitter I know is suffering terribly and I know so little about insomnia but, for the occassional sleepless nights.

I know the basics, hot shower, dark room, no screens, palm of thumb tucked into solar plexus,

meditative breathing (in through nose/out through mouth, count to 5 slowly and slower, let thoughts float away)

Y'all will have more experience and competence in dealing with this issue, what helped you survive ?

How do you settle yourselves and  put yourselves to sleep ?

Have a glass of wine or two always does the trick for me. 

Dont try to go to sleep too early.

Lavender oil on pillow, i have a spray and it does relax me.

Cool bedroom, sleep with window open.

Exercise in the evening.

Im not a great sleeper but these are the wee things i do to help myself. Im actually sleeping better since i quit as not lighting up fags during the night when i wake up, i just go back to sleep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The insomnia from quitting is annoying and luckily just temporary. I found taking one nighttime Bayer, Advil etc. was enough to take the edge off and allow me to sleep. 

I've also heard great results with weegies suggestions. 

crown-royal-canadian-whisky-plastic-bott

This is my cure for that affliction :)

On a serious note, it wasn't mentioned if this became a problem after quitting smoking or if it was an issue before as well. If it was just since quitting, I would suggest it will rectify itself after some period of time as body and mind adjust. If there were signs of it before quitting, it may be another issue that needs to be addressed. Age alone can cause changes in sleep patterns and we never know when those might happen. Sorry to say, I have not sure-fire tips that would be of any assistance here. Some of the ones offered above are for sure worth a try :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had quitting insomnia and it was challenging. It did go away after a while. I hope it gets better for you.

I didn't take anything for it since I wanted my body to fix itself. I also didn't want to become dependent on a drug. If it's from quitting it will pass in time.

Also don't blame quitting. Blame smoking. This is showing you how much smoking messes with your body/brain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me, even if my body is tired because of the treadmill or swim, I won't be able to sleep until I calm my mind and being. I usually start with a cup of chamomile or lavender distress non-caffeine tea. For some reason, that signals my mind it is time to unwind, so I listen to calming music for a bit. A little deep breathing and meditation. If I am still not in total relax sleep, I pick up a philosophy or  extensial book and read. Usually I am in sleep mode after I have been reading one of those for 15 mins...lol..they are so deep. so I spend anywhere from half hour to an hour unwinding. Best of luck finding you way to a good and healthy sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had insomnia my whole life so I am no help to anyone... my dad tells me even as I tiny baby they knew I was just lying in the bassinet babbling to myself most of the time they were asleep. The fact my dad would let me sit up all night watching or listening on the tranny to cricket or olympics or some other sport on the other side of the world probably didn't help with developing patterns of behaviour. My insomnia works like this... I go for a 2-3weeks with 2-4 hours a night... I might have a 6 hour sleep in there... then I crash and burn and sleep for 12 hours, then up for a few then sleep for another 12 hours or so.... and then the insomnia is re-set. I have done this my whole life. It doesn't matter what I do ... like lml I need to turn my brain off to sleep and well the off switch keeps moving... My body can't really handle it at the moment and with the quit I have been having chemical assistance at least once a week. We all know I have one of those addictive personalities so for me this is not something I can do with regularity as that will be the next addiction I need to fight. Surprisingly I have the most success 'getting to sleep' if I have a hot tea or coffee with sugar (I hate sugar in my caffine) then lie down... for some reason in the first few minutes I will nod off... I have tried switching out the caffeine drink for herbal but for me it just doesn't help. I know others, like jillar, have just had a night time cold and flu tablet during their quit to take the edge off the quit insomnia. So basically I am no help at all.. with me everything comes down to finely timed windows of activity.. lie down, lights out, some background noise within 5 mintues out like a light for a few hours at least... if you are a person who has issues with switching your brain off you need to avoid silence, or things like audio books... if you are after a book that is so mind numbingly boring it will knock you unconcious every frickin time the I suggest The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes... I dunno what it is about this book but I have been trying to read this book since I was 14 and i just can't keep my eyes open another good one to send you to sleep is The Slave by Isaac Bashevis Singer.... I just can't finish either book but they do always make me nod off.

• Thanks 1