Distractions

Tink

This is for the newbies to help them use the whole of the board and may help them on their journeys.....

When I first quit, every second of my awake brain was focusing on the quit, not smoking, trying not to think of it etc etc it was a soup just sloshing around and around and it was hard to concentrate on anything else

People around me didn't understand, family and friends were smokers or never smokers

That's when I went looking for a support system and found you guys I was 2 weeks into my quit

I read a lot of stuff on nicotine addiction which helped me understand the thoughts and changes going on within me but I needed to get this sloshing soup out of my head and get on with life, I couldn't just shut it all out

Many members kept saying go into social play the games you need to distract yourself, I had a very stressful job at the time and thought I can't be dealing with all that nonsense at the moment

But the truth was I needed that nonsense because the quit was consuming me and making things harder then it needed to be

So the reason for my ramble is newbies try a distraction play some games on here, they are not hard and don't need any concentration

There is sections here too for interests and hobbies that you can get involved in, reading, cooking, fitness etc etc and if there is nothing there that interests you, then you can always make your own up as there might be others with similar interests

It's a great tool on the forum and can bring things back into balance and focus

It's only a suggestion and it may just help you

Maybe other members can say how they distracted through the soup/fog

• Like 9

Tracey,

Very nice post, and helpful.

I would encourage people to use the chat room. There were around 9 people there Friday night, and it was a lot of fun. I know there is a time difference of 6 hours UK and US and a day for OZ and NZ

But, it is available 24/7.

Click on the chat button, it's real time and not only for chit chat but for serious stuff as well, if support is needed you can usually get anwers there.

As with all of the resources on this site, it is what you make of it.

GTQ

Markus

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I'm another one who took advantage of the Social forums to take my mind off smoking. It worked so well be it playing games or searching online for that perfect image or funny video to post while still staying close to my support.

I highly recommend, especially to anyone having a hard time staying quit, to give hanging out in Social a try. You may be pleasantly surprised 😊

• Like 1