I don't smoke.

cpk

Got to say that aloud for the first time today.

Was out when a stranger came up to me and asked me if I had an extra cigarette. I wasn't smoking or with anyone smoking. So, duh? (Just goes to show you that smokers walk around in a fog.)

I just said, "I don't smoke."  I didn't say, "I quit smoking," or "I quit smoking two months ago," or "Used to smoke but not anymore."

I just said, "I don't smoke."

I felt like jumping up and down with happiness. But I stayed cool.

It felt really awesome to say those three words and to find out they are more than enough.

• Like 11

FAB!!  Bet that felt great  :D .  It's a really big step you took there too, another nail in the nicotine coffin!

Talking our talk is very powerful generally. There is a train of thought that what you think and say, controls what happens to us, it makes sense. So you are reinforcing to the fog like smoker that not everyone has his addiction, but also to yourself and that's the fab bit.

GO CPK!!

• Like 4

Poor soul just goes to show how desperate they can get :(

Shout it out every day cpk, those good feeling moments will soon multiply, in the beginning we have to cherish those little yippee moments, it helps when things are a little harder

• Like 1

Got to say that aloud for the first time today.

Was out when a stranger came up to me and asked me if I had an extra cigarette. I wasn't smoking or with anyone smoking. So, duh? (Just goes to show you that smokers walk around in a fog.)

I just said, "I don't smoke."  I didn't say, "I quit smoking," or "I quit smoking two months ago," or "Used to smoke but not anymore."

I just said, "I don't smoke."

I felt like jumping up and down with happiness. But I stayed cool.

It felt really awesome to say those three words and to find out they are more than enough.

I remember the first time I was able to say that too.  It feels awesome doesn't it!  Made me feel so accomplished.  :)

I'm glad you don't smoke. 

• Like 4

It has become popular in my town, especially with the young, to buy a single from someone. First, it was 25 cents, then 50 cents, and by the time I quit --- if I was smoking in public people would offer me $1.00 for a single cigarette. Insanity. Maybe speaks to how smokes have become increasingly more addictive because of all the added chemicals. People don't just want a cigarette for the enjoyment...they are seriously, seriously addicted. The tobacco industry devils must not win this war!!!! Newbies, let's put on our combat boots and keep kicking the butts to the curb!

Could be? No idea lol. I'm alternative in many ways and think of it as a positive energy exchange...but your way sounds very sciency and possible :)

Marti: Think you and I are on the same page (always a delight!)

NLP not hard science-y, but used in U.S. by a lot of life coaches. (like Tony Robbins) Just that how we talk and think determines our actions. It's important to say I don't smoke a lot of times so the brain gets message. Bakon pointed this out. Once the brain gets it then you can move forward. All the brain knows is that before ---   the history was that everything was associated with smoking.

I'm sorry I am going on and on about this. With the change of season there are a lot of triggers. People smoking outside everywhere. Smoke on the wind...everywhere.

I have non-smoke home so inside at home it's easy now. No hidden cigarettes. Just candles. :)  But "out there" is different. I need to have a shield and right now my shield is to repeat "I don't smoke" so my brain keeps getting the message that this is where we are NOW, and it's fabulous, too! :wub:

How we talk, think, and act determines our destiny.

Okay, yes. That's it, pretty basic. Nothing to buy into. I am at the point where there is sometimes a blank space where that smoker lived. It's weird. Like the brain is waiting...so now what get's inserted is I don't smoke...

there's a sense of having a lot of freedom...and space...but I am still not fully living in it yet...

a lot of rewiring still to go...

smoking was like living in jail, when you get out it's like

"Nooooo, you don't need permission to live,"... :)

Of course you don't smoke .... I knew that from the first time I "met " you :-). Even so - so happy you got to say it out loud - cos now a lot of others also know that you are a fabulous non smoker :-)

• Like 1

Of course you don't smoke .... I knew that from the first time I "met " you :-). Even so - so happy you got to say it out loud - cos now a lot of others also know that you are a fabulous non smoker :-)

Thank you. When I came on this board at 18 days quit I wrote that I felt in "limbo" between smoking and not smoking. In a short amount of time I've been ushered into a new world of let it be so - we don't smoke. I'm so grateful. You always frequently post and 'like" --- your steady presence is deeply appreciated.

• Like 1

have you done this? knew about it but...

never worked

too something...

but how about the language thing? changing how we speak about something?

that seems to work for me

you know, you are getting "liked" every time here... :)

• Like 1

tony robbins claimed he could get someone to drop smoking habit

in something like a minute....forever

think he got a lot of flack for this...

i just take what i can from wherever i can and leave the rest

beware....i'm "liking"  all your posts    haha :)

have you done this? knew about it but...

never worked

too something...

but how about the language thing? changing how we speak about something?

that seems to work for me

you know, you are getting "liked" every time here... :)

Nope, never done it. Don't buy it. But, that doesn't mean there's *nothing* to it. Certainly language and self-talk is important, and mindfulness is always helpful. So I agree with you there.

I did notice the liking -but I'm very likable, so that just shows how perceptive you are. :)

how's biking going? i need to get my butt on my bike this weekend...

Long one last weekend out to a nearby town to get fresh fish. Rained so hard on the way home I looked like I rode thru the ocean. Good fish though.

• Like 1

sometimes when i try to edit or rewrite i end up looking like

i'm quoting myself...well, actually, i get set up quoting myself

however, i am not, i repeat, i am not quoting myself as others have suggested

(okay, just bakon...)

i'm just fighting with the computer software...and basically not paying attention

to what i'm doing

i'm going to ride my bike to the next town for fish this weekend...sounds like fun

okay...maybe just down the road to buy fish...for first ride of season...

Poor soul just goes to show how desperate they can get :(

Shout it out every day cpk, those good feeling moments will soon multiply, in the beginning we have to cherish those little yippee moments, it helps when things are a little harder

Didn't mean to put down person trying to bum smoke. Don't like strangers coming up to me when I'm out at night, and thought now that I don't smoke wouldn't have to deal with that. There's been couple of car thefts in my neighborhood and guess I was just on edge about the stranger approaching me thing.