Scouse Talk

cpk

I read that only 1 out of every 7 people who tries to quit smoking succeeds in maintaining a lasting quit. My mind refuses to wrap around these numbers, although it seems to be the accepted statistic. It's scary. Every time I have a thought about smoking it's...a tiring and boring irritation. That's just where I am now. The periods when I don't think about smoking are...so great. But those thoughts do pop up even when I'm minding my own business...kind of like the sound of the yapping coyotes in the hills. It's far enough away that I feel safe, but still... a bit creepy. This coming week I need to try out my best Liverpool scouse talk and laugh em down. ("Get ought a here, stupid thought.") Have a good week all, especially Karl (larks), Evelyn, Jackie, Tyme,  Ricki M, Teary Eyed and all others newly learning to be 100% I don't smokers. Guard, bless, and love your quit. I will do the same with mine. (shout out to eriklambie who right now is somewhere good, I am sure, thinking up cool lyrics and even cooler menus, what's for breakfast, dude?)

• Like 4

you are right where you need to be cpk...as annoying as that place can be sometimes...it's a necessary step to where you are going....can't get from point A to point B without it...and there is no acceleration button.  But rest assured...you will get there...every day...stronger and stronger.  That's why NOPE one day at a time is so important.

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

1 in 7 is scary numbers, I agree.

I wanted to say something about the stage you are going through. Some call it no mans land, some just think it's a phase and shouldn't have a name at all, some notice nothing at all (lucky).

For most though, there is a period of time where it becomes a plod rather than a march. It feels less "shiny" and "new" and a bit tiring that it's happening at all. It's only once you come out the other side that you really see how powerful this bit of the process is. It is building your resolve and your "no thanks" experience. You probably haven't noticed but you begin to have less of those thoughts that before, over the next month or so the power drops out of most of them if you let it. I once read something that said "quitting is a journey, not an event" and this is a big part of the strength building bit. Meantime, your self belief starts growing now! As you wearily some days or excitedly other days, say nope, you start to believe you can do this... and if you can do this... you're pretty damn strong and can do anything... 

I am saying this as for myself, this part of the journey was hard. Remember it's a phase. This too shall pass and all that jazz. Distractions will still absolutely help you and work. Make sure you are treating yourself, your quit still has just as much value, more even, than day 1.

x

• Like 2

I wanted to say something about the stage you are going through. Some call it no mans land, some just think it's a phase and shouldn't have a name at all, some notice nothing at all (lucky).

For most though, there is a period of time where it becomes a plod rather than a march. It feels less "shiny" and "new" and a bit tiring that it's happening at all. It's only once you come out the other side that you really see how powerful this bit of the process is. It is building your resolve and your "no thanks" experience. You probably haven't noticed but you begin to have less of those thoughts that before, over the next month or so the power drops out of most of them if you let it. I once read something that said "quitting is a journey, not an event" and this is a big part of the strength building bit. Meantime, your self belief starts growing now! As you wearily some days or excitedly other days, say nope, you start to believe you can do this... and if you can do this... you're pretty damn strong and can do anything... 

I am saying this as for myself, this part of the journey was hard. Remember it's a phase. This too shall pass and all that jazz. Distractions will still absolutely help you and work. Make sure you are treating yourself, your quit still has just as much value, more even, than day 1.

x

Spot on. All true. Thanks, Marti. Really appreciated this, Muchly.  xox

• Like 1

How many of those 7 had a support group for quitting?  It's makes a difference.  Besides, I'm not convinced that those numbers are true.  NRT companies want you to believe that so you buy their product.  Big tobacco wants you to believe it so you throw in the towel and buy their death.  I don't believe those numbers are accurate but even if they are, it has nothing to do with your quit.  You've quit, you have a great support group and you know the truth about this addiction.  Grind this shit out.

• Like 8

How many of those 7 had a support group for quitting?  It's makes a difference.  Besides, I'm not convinced that those numbers are true.  NRT companies want you to believe that so you buy their product.  Big tobacco wants you to believe it so you throw in the towel and buy their death.  I don't believe those numbers are accurate but even if they are, it has nothing to do with your quit.  You've quit, you have a great support group and you know the truth about this addiction.  Grind this shit out.

You scare me a bit. lol. Heard ya loud and clear, boss. Thanks.

• Like 3

x

beautifully said Miss Smarti pants!  xo

• Like 1

Smart that Smarti.

Its all good. CPK.

Repeat after me.

"I quit smoking. I'm awesome." Three repeats, three times a day for two weeks. 

The Rocket Surgeon has prescribed.

I don't smoke and it's awesome, I don't smoke, come closer...and smell my sweet breath...oops, I'll get it, I quit smoking. I'm awesome. Rinse. Repeat. Thanks!

• Like 2

I used to read those statistics and get nervous. Then I would think i am the one of seven who will succeed. Looking back at the group I quit with, there were more than one person who succeeded. Some are here.

Yesterday i was reading that the relapse rate goes down to insignificant numbers after two years but really it takes 10. So f it. I am going to suceed. I am not a statistic. The success of my quit belongs to me

• Like 2

I used to read those statistics and get nervous. Then I would think i am the one of seven who will succeed. Looking back at the group I quit with, there were more than one person who succeeded. Some are here.

Yesterday i was reading that the relapse rate goes down to insignificant numbers after two years but really it takes 10. So f it. I am going to suceed. I am not a statistic. The success of my quit belongs to me

Oh, let's ignore the statistics, right?  Do we need them to know truth? I was reading a lot of statistics, beacon, but MQ whipped me into shape. Do I think of accident statistics when I get behind the wheel of my truck? No. Because I'm a good driver, and I'm a defensive driver. That's the best I can do. I'm being really careful with this quit. I'm learning. I'm growing. I can't remember ever being this conscientious about a quit before. That's giving it my best. It's all I can do. I don't know if reading statistics is going to help my quit. I think that is what MQ was saying. I have no idea what "Grind this shit out," means (MQ's words :dirol: ) but it sounded like serious butt kicking! haha

update: grind this shit out means stay dedicated, do it, get it done         (then party?)

• Like 1

:yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

lol in the middle of the night, in the middle of ...wild west merika    ( larks! )    Your april 1 nope is the best! stars to you!

• Like 1