Withdrawl Problem

Tyme2B

Hi T.

I'll leave the meds to you. That's the easy part, right?  :wink3:

I was going to provide you my recommendations via PM. Alas, I am not able to provide substantive (evidenced based studies), on what I propose. I am not well enough to do this. But, I did want to share what I know and remember, from past studies/readings.

I want you to see a Naturopathic Physician. Have a full physical exam. I am going to start seeing mine again, in the next month.

1) Ask her/him about Rhodiola. It is derived from Golden Root/Arctic Root, grown in northern climates. Extracts from these northern species (Canada being one), are of the most beneficial kind.

Rhodiola benefits include dealing with symptoms during the healing stage of Nicotine Cessation. It promotes the natural functions of neurotransmitters we struggle with up to the 12 weeks of healing in Cessation. Natural Anti-depressants. It also promotes sleep. It is very beneficial for adrenal overload, due to an exhausted endocrine system, creating High levels of cortisol. This creates fatigue, lethargy and auto-immune problems. *Be sure to get this from a supplier of Rhodiola that provides capsules that are similar to what is found in the natural state, of the northern roots. Stay away from Chinese combinations, as they have too much Salidrosides in them and produce a stimulative effect. You don't want that. The one that I was prescribed by Doc is: Thorne's  It is a combination I suggest too. Now, it is important to state again, that you must see a Naturopatic Physician for advice on the correct one to buy. Just going to a health food store and asking an unqualified person, can get you the wrong combination of Rhodiola (Rosavins) and (Salidrosides). It should be standardized to be 3% of Salidrosides, and not any higher. Chinese can have as high as 10% standardization, which causes too much stimulant effect, for you.

2) Ask for the best Stress vitamin combinations.

3) Ask for natural sleep-aids, excluding the melatonin, due to your intolerance.

4) Follow-up with other needs found to be needed to be attended to, from initial examination.

5) Thank me, later. lol.

The best I can do T. I could look for substantive studies I have read extensively before, for you to learn about some of the supplements, I know about but, I'm not up to it and cannot remember them well enough to document for you now.

:)

This looks interesting, Mike. Rhodiola would be great if it worked, doesn't effect liver, or whatever...will check into it. Thanks.

Hi T.

I'll leave the meds to you. That's the easy part, right? :wink3:

I was going to provide you my recommendations via PM. Alas, I am not able to provide substantive (evidenced based studies), on what I propose. I am not well enough to do this. But, I did want to share what I know and remember, from past studies/readings.

I want you to see a Naturopathic Physician. Have a full physical exam. I am going to start seeing mine again, in the next month.

1) Ask her/him about Rhodiola. It is derived from Golden Root/Arctic Root, grown in northern climates. Extracts from these northern species (Canada being one), are of the most beneficial kind.

Rhodiola benefits include dealing with symptoms during the healing stage of Nicotine Cessation. It promotes the natural functions of neurotransmitters we struggle with up to the 12 weeks of healing in Cessation. Natural Anti-depressants. It also promotes sleep. It is very beneficial for adrenal overload, due to an exhausted endocrine system, creating High levels of cortisol. This creates fatigue, lethargy and auto-immune problems. *Be sure to get this from a supplier of Rhodiola that provides capsules that are similar to what is found in the natural state, of the northern roots. Stay away from Chinese combinations, as they have too much Salidrosides in them and produce a stimulative effect. You don't want that. The one that I was prescribed by Doc is: Thorne's It is a combination I suggest too. Now, it is important to state again, that you must see a Naturopatic Physician for advice on the correct one to buy. Just going to a health food store and asking an unqualified person, can get you the wrong combination of Rhodiola (Rosavins) and (Salidrosides). It should be standardized to be 3% of Salidrosides, and not any higher. Chinese can have as high as 10% standardization, which causes too much stimulant effect, for you.

2) Ask for the best Stress vitamin combinations.

3) Ask for natural sleep-aids, excluding the melatonin, due to your intolerance.

4) Follow-up with other needs found to be needed to be attended to, from initial examination.

5) Thank me, later. lol.

The best I can do T. I could look for substantive studies I have read extensively before, for you to learn about some of the supplements, I know about but, I'm not up to it and cannot remember them well enough to document for you now.

:)

I will deffs check this out Mike! Thanks so much.

Do it T. Don't just check it out. Go hard on this!

Spend a little money on your health. Your health plans from work should cover some of the costs. The hardest part will not be spending the money but, doing what she/he suggests. Mine told me that RN's are the clients she likes the most, because they interact well with her but, like in other things, we tend to be the worst clients ...

I did a quick research of the Naturopathic Doctors in the province, (checked their provincial association), narrowed it down to where I live and then started reading their Business Bios online and choose one from there. The one I chose lived and was initially trained in Ontario, and followed her professional husband back to Saskatoon. There are many very qualified docs in Ontario, it being one of the two provinces that have the training schools. At least, when I last looked their was only the two, with the other being in B.C.

Here's an interesting aside (for me) to my later post last night. (My damn memory still works very well, but my recall is struggling with my depression). That should resolve itself as the depression does ... Anyways ... I read about a scientist, (it might have been Thomas Edison), who often would find solutions to problems he was wrestling with in dreams. He would wake to find that he had dreamed the solution, would get out of bed, put into practice with success. I have done similarly.

I may be getting better because, I had a similar dream to what I have had in the past, last night. I have been struggling with how to best help you! In my dream, I was settling into a new position and office with my superior. When she was done, she opened a filing cabinet drawer of charts, to show me my active list of clients. She also told me, that one of them was waiting in our waiting room for me presently. The manager left. I called the receptionist to have the client come in. YOU walked in! The rest is of little consequence here. But, I had been thinking of you while I was sleeping, and now know that I need to push you on following up with a Naturopathic Physician. I can't do this from afar ...

Do it T.

Blessings!

Not related to the quit but I often suffer insomnia when I am under pressure. I drink peppermint tea and meditate when I lay awake and can't sleep. I also started yoga regularly (maybe 2/3 times a week for 20 mins, not loads). I do still suffer a little but I have learnt that my expectation of  hours of sleep was not needed. I kinda sleep for 4, wake for 2, sleep for 2 now and it's all good. When things get bad I use cold remedies (bad I know) to get me back into a pattern. I also make sure I expend enough energy in the day, I never realized but our bodies are so reactive, if I don't move physically, I don't sleep well! Never really made that connection and I would say that part I have noticed since I quit. I make sure I move some every day now, even if it's housework. I also accepted the sleep pattern my body wanted rather than trying to force one. Also as a side line I can self reiki to calm myself down but maybe you know someone who does this who might help? 

I appreciate my way sounds a bit "hippy" but only because meds don't do much for me so I prefer a natural route now through force :) 

Sleep soon my lovely. x

• Like 1

I will deffs check this out Mike! Thanks so much.

Please be careful, T. Rhodiola should NOT BE TAKEN BEFORE BEDTIME. It may promote sleep in that it could cause us to move around more during the day, and get more exercise. It is NOT a sleep aid. Should be taken in the morning, start with lowest dosage.

• Like 1

Well I think I should wrap up this thread with a positive! With the help of my Doctor I am finally sleeping. Withdrawal was not the only cause of a 9 week insomnia! Although I waited longer than the 2 weeks Joel recommends for ongoing symptoms after a quit as they may not be Quit related in retrospect I really should have asked for medical help before I did. However, after some trial & error with medication I am now sleeping (man it's great!) And once I am sleeping well again I can stop the medication. My heartfelt THANKS to All of you for helping me through this! Without you....well I had you, so the positive is that I guarded by Nope with your help! Onward & upward to my next 3 months and for always

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I reacted adversely to both medications my Doc tried to help with sleep so yet another medication has been discontinued. Heart related adverse affects were totally unexpected. I have had blood work done & hopefully the problem will be identified. In the meantime my Doc has just increased a med I am already taking & I am sleeping most nights now. Perhaps smoking was covering up or causing an unknown problem. Best to have Quit now.