Withdrawl Problem

Tyme2B

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Really sad,

and, just...hugs.

Yeah, we mourn those who are gone...

But we are still here, and have the chance to do things in a

way maybe they wish they had done..

Everyone has their own journey. I can be sad (even depressed)

and still be a nonsmoker.

Not smoking isn't about Ta Da, Happy Land.

It's about sanity. And health. And accepting emotions as

they arise. I'm a newbie. It's hard. But do-able.

• Like 1

Just to chime in. I wonder how many people smoked to deal with emotional issues in some way, started smoking because of issues, etc. Certainly I have had various issues with addictive behaivor of different types over the years including smoking and food. And now with most of the little helpers gone I can struggle. I think this is common

• Like 2

emotions? yes, for me, 90%

when a smoker i used to actually say i hated emotions...

that's like saying you hate weather

i do hate the emotional roller coaster as i adjust...

but my ignored emotions are out of prison and partying!

i expect they'll wear themselves down and start to be more civilized :)

I'm sorry T.

I looked through my OS's for a couple of hours now, I am going blind trying to find a link to that article on the Addictiveness of Nicotine, and I couldn't find it. Over the years, I may come up with it yet. If I do, I'll send it to you.

m/

• Like 1

Hu Tyme - I am not qualified to comment on the mental side of quitting but just wanted to say ... You need to do whatever is right for you and your health, but please know we are here to support you if you need it! Sending virtualhgs your way !! Xx

• Like 1

You bet Trace.

I know who you are "not quoting", and that's cool. Really! I don't wish to sound argumentative.

Now, I wish I could help T. a little more ...

hmm ... what have I done in the past that "helped", with jangled moods, due to nicotine cessation.

1) I stayed active, and posted lots on Quit Smoking sites. It helped, even when I was only really helping myself, as I posted frequently.

2) I took the situation I found myself in, as much as I could, "One Day at a Time".

3) I read the accounts of other's, who were before me, and how they had coped, and how they felt better, after time, and "tried" (not always very successfully), to remain faithful and hopeful, that the miracle would happen for me too, just like they, (it did, by evolving slowly).

4) I bitched and complained, when I had to. I argued and fought with the guys, that I knew could handle a good fight.

5) Oh, I read and read online sources & books on the process of quitting nicotine. I became an expert "in my own mind", and didn't mind telling anyone who cared to read. lol (I did that lots).

6) I enjoyed seeing my quit get healthier, and even blogged about it. Bitching in it, outlining slow improvements, spouting random thoughts and feelings about it all ...

7) I had to push myself to keep going, lots. It never has been easy for me to quit. By that I mean, it was "painful". I took solace in the fact, that I have the ability "to push myself" and seemingly "go against the odds", and do what didn't seem possible, out of just pure stubbornness.

... and in spite of myself, it got better ...

That's all I have now T.

I'm just confused. Haven't you been quit for something like only 8 days? Where is

your quit meter, I wonder?

• Like 1

I'm just confused. Haven't you been quit for something like only 8 days? Where is

your quit meter, I wonder? No need to answer. I pass over confusing posts...even

if they are long. Long is not necessarily better.

Well, I am confusing. I have been down these paths, a few times.

Yes, 8 days again. No wait, that is 9 days.

Quit meter, I don't like "distracting signatures", I skip them even if they have meters in them.

Skip away with my posts.

m/

No, you haven't. These are for all to read. Aren't PM. "Down these paths," just

means knowing a lot about relapsing,  and starting over. Quit meters no big deal,

just reality on a sign, or like a badge at a convention. Your quit date is

March 16, 2015. Wisdom starts there. Thanks for clearing up my confusing.

I wish you would leave T's thread alone, and start your own.

Haha. Watch out, it's duck hunting season, and you

kind of look like a duck. Good luck with your fresh

NEW quit. All threads are for public consumption

and participation, but wish away. I was just trying

to clear up confusion since you don't have a meter.

Tyme2B knows I'm thinking about her and it's all

good, our quits dates are close together so I will

always participate in T's threads. You don't need

to protect her, she's wearing big girl pants and

rocking her quit. GO TYME!

Good Lord!

Tyme

Thanks for opening up a great discussion.

Thanks for being so candid and honest.

I really know how you are feeling right

about now. This quit has made me go

through a lot, but I'm hanging in there,

because I NEVER want to relapse and

start over. Stay in touch!

• Like 1

hey Tyme,

I know the medical people love them a bit of NRT here, I found anything I added had a reaction and like you would be hesitant to go back there. Maybe get a 2nd opinion. YOUR gut instinct says it's not what you think and I kinda think we should trust that but I like you are in contact with them to be on the safe side. I always think there's no harm in asking the advice and questions, both here and of the medical profession. Neither have judgement. x

I think what he's saying is nicotine releases endorphins (feel good chemicals) into our brains...which gives us a speedy high. Exercise does the same as that and if you're moving less than you're going the opposite way to happy highs?  

We all suffered with moods when we quit. For sure the stuff in cigarettes is out of this world compared to what we believe, no doubting it. Some days I was so fed up I could barely keep it together but on other days I was running natural highs...and you seem to be missing out on those? Or are you swopping and changing? 

Maybe start thinking about some things that naturally lift your mood as an aide? Music, yoga (lots of seated yoga on you tube that's free to try), meditating (again lots of how to's and music on you tube), reading etc...that sort of thing insterspersed with treats and start trying to lift yourself a bit at a time. I don't have depression but I do have anxiety and I have it controlled now with doing bits and pieces over some time and building up coping techniques for myself and would be happy to chat about alternatives if you're interested, I used lots of crystals and mantra's etc. 

Feel better tyme. xx

• Like 2

Hey T, thank you for bringing this subject to the forum.  I hope you're getting responses that are helping.  I imagine your questions will help others along the way too.

There is so much to say about all of this!  I'll try to keep it short and share my experience.  

At 2 months I felt a bit like you.  I briefly considered an antidepressant but really didn't want to go that route and felt more comfortable trying other avenues first.  I'm at 3 months and things are better.  Time behind me is a big one.  Doing small things and setting a routine helped tons.  First was the combo of getting out of bed, getting my coffee and log on to do my NOPE..no exception or excuses with this one.  Other things....have breakfast, be religious with taking Vitamins, specifically a good Vit D, take a shower, take a walk outside...doesn't have to be long or cardio focused just get out in the fresh air and sun, finally plan out and then do a good deed for someone each week.  For example, one friend lost her mom last week, another found out she has breast cancer....I made them some food and dropped it off.  I walked a dog.  Simple, brief and lifted everyone's spirt just a smidgeon.  Something else that is going to help is more sunshine and warmer temps.

I DO believe there is a physical aspect of depression to this all.  I also think staying in our head and dwelling on it isn't helping us at all, (maybe I should say my head and doesn't help me).  Do trust that it's temporary, that time is our friend and sometimes pushing to do small things makes a world of difference (like getting out of bed or a shower, sad but true).  For what it's worth, I've never been like this either....but I've not been a non-smoker for 36 years either.  Healing and learning new things can be hard but worth it.

You asked what we thought of the suggestion of using an NRT in the mornings and all I can say is no way would I do it, even if my Dr suggested it, but that's kind of how I roll anyway...bit of defiance in me :).

What you're doing is pretty remarkable so do try to keep that in the forefront of your thoughts.  It WILL get better, promise you that.  

• Like 3

I am not going to go with using the NRT route. My Doc is great but she never smoked. I will be keeping in touch with her. There are tons of suggestions & personal experiences to try & I need to try several other things first. Exercise will be first but there are lots of other recommendations. I will keep reading. Thanks so much for the help :) Interesting others have been down a similar road....I don't feel as alone in all this now! And it certainly is easier to admit to. Reducing stress in one's life is not easy but one day at a time....

• Like 3

I'm sorry T.

I looked through my OS's for a couple of hours now, I am going blind trying to find a link to that article on the Addictiveness of Nicotine, and I couldn't find it. Over the years, I may come up with it yet. If I do, I'll send it to you.

m/

Thanks Mike! You have given me some othrr very good articles to read that are helpful. I appreciate your looking for the one particular article but don't worry. It may show up eventually. Congrats on your 9 days! No! 10 days!

I am not going to go with using the NRT route. My Doc is great but she never smoked. I will be keeping in touch with her. There are tons of suggestions & personal experiences to try & I need to try several other things first. Exercise will be first but there are lots of other recommendations. I will keep reading. Thanks so much for the help :) Interesting others have been down a similar road....I don't feel as alone in all this now! And it certainly is easier to admit to. Reducing stress in one's life is not easy but one day at a time....

I am so relieved to hear this...I'm not a physician, but reintroducing nicotine to your body after almost two months quit seemed like a very bad idea.  Why waken the sleeping monster?

• Like 1

Thanks Mike! You have given me some othrr very good articles to read that are helpful. I appreciate your looking for the one particular article but don't worry. It may show up eventually. Congrats on your 9 days! No! 10 days!

Your welcome, T.

Understanding, what has happened to me in this addiction, makes it easier to cope with my struggles with it.

I certainly can't minimize the depressive feelings, this period of healing in cessation initially is causing me, too. I know from education about this addiction, that it is time limited and gets much better.

I find the exhaustion from poor sleep and the turmoil of messed up neurotransmitters, along with the struggling to keep a semblance of a normal life through it, eventually dissipates and I will become peaceful with cessation and feel healthy without nicotine, again. I hold on for that. I know it is coming for us.

Thanks, for the congrats. It means a lot to me.

My best.

m/

• Like 1

[quote name="Mike." post="132734" timestamp="1427297344.

I certainly can't minimize the depressive feelings, this period of healing in cessation initially is causing me, too. I know from education about this addiction, that it is time limited and gets much better.

Knowing it will get better at least puts a light at the end of a seemingly long tunnel. We all need hope! I'm just going to do one day at a time & push to feel better again. Shared feelings from others help so much.

• Like 4

Tyme: I just reread this thread and saw where you said you were going out for a manicure. THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!! Loving watching your journey... :wub:

I did!! And it was worth the effort lol! I am enjoying watching your journey too CPK. You DO make me laugh!! Our Quit dates are very close. Congratulations to you on doing such a great job!
  • Like 1

Now, aren't you glad you posted? :)

I post a lot, not because I like to see myself in print. I desperately need to put the time behind me to establish a solid quit. Posting, and getting support helps me to march on...even if sometimes marching is more like limping and whining. Relapsing is such a drag, and not an option. Do we really want to do this part again? Nah. We want to join the Quit Goddesses! :wub:

So it was cool about the manicure. And I think Marti is right. You need to experience more good moments, hours, days. I do, too. Right now this is the part I keep forgetting, but what I need to do more of. :wub:

Hmm, maybe some new nail polish?

• Like 1

Hey Tyme, sorry to be along late, but I did have a very similar experience, right around month 3 or so I think. So, the bad news first - it was really awful, and it didn't clear up immediately. In fact it was so intense that it made me realize that these weren't MY emotions - they were't "real". I quickly thought of those crushing depressive episodes as "synthetic", the by-product of a junkie brain renormalizing and finding dopamine equilibrium. That seemed to help me depersonalize the experience, and sort of watch myself from a distance.

The good news is, a month or two later, all of a sudden it just lifted! It's never been back, and my new normal is much better than the old one. Remember, you don't need to spend every moment of your quit in a state of grace - it's ok to stay in bed sometimes, or eat ice cream, or yell at inanimate objects. Trust that if you just keep going, the rest will take care of itself.

And FWIW I'm extremely glad to hear you're not considering going back on NRT. I do favour cold turkey, but I'm not ideological about it, and whatever it takes to start your quit is fine by me. BUT once you're off, that stuff is poison, and I think it would quickly undo all your great work. Anyway, keep it up!

• Like 1