Withdrawl Problem

Tyme2B

I am not considering this an SOS as it has been going on since Day 1. I have been smoke free for nearly 8 weeks & i have not been using nicotine gum for 3 weeks. I seem to be very depressed. I still am having a heck of a time getting out of bed in the morning and if I don't have to then I don't. I have read that people with past depression can have another depressive episode with quitting smoking. It can act likd a trigger. I am trying to plan things in the morning to force me to get up but I feel terrible & have to cancel plans because I am just too miserable to go out. I am getting plenty of sleep now....the insomnia is pretty much gone. This just totally sucks. Has anyone else experienced this problem for weeks? I can understand it happening initially but 2 months? I do not feel depressed once I am up but I have no initiative to do anything I used to enjoy doing. I won't smoke. But I am sure quitting smoking has triggered this as it started as soon as I quit. I have watched the videos & researched info....it certainly can happen....but has anyone else experienced this

• Like 3

I've been depressed not after a quit because I use now I very suitable antidepressiva and I know how it feels... 8 weeks is long. I advise you to go to your house doctor maybe you need a low dosige if you approve. Remember most antidepressiva take 4 to 6 weeks to start working.

Here to support you

• Like 2

Hi T.

Thanks, for sharing. This is an important question. One I have answered many times in the past, that people need to be aware of sometimes, when nicotine cessation, is problematic with moods, sleep etc. during the first while of quitting.

I'll "cut to the chase with you" :)

Please read the following links, and the links that are provided in the main body of the information. It basically states how some of our Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in our brains, take a while to up regulate. (I have seen 2 different studies, but this one states the time frame is 6 - 12 weeks. Both find the outside time of this healing of our brains to be 12 weeks. There are other changes in our brains, including the the dopamine channels, that are affected by nicotine, that have to also, be normalized again, during the "healing time of our cessation". I know which link I want for this, I'll try to find this too.

Links:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/news-events/nida-notes/2009/10/abstinent-smokers-nicotinic-receptors-take-more-than-month-to-normalize

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=210248

Edit:

Here is a link to something John over at WhyQuit. com has written, that talks a bit about Dopamine channels, and how they are "kidnapped", (my term):

http://whyquit.com/pr/050212.html

Unfortunately, I cannot find that great article, written by a researcher right now, that goes into depth, on how the addiction of nicotine, effects our brains, more than any other known substance, (he compared alcohol, opiates, benzo's I believe and others), Basically he proved, that nicotine, hi-jacks, our natural brain neuron-receptors, and dopamine channels, to addict us, in ways, that our brain sees nicotine as normal neurotransmitters. Then, went on to show how the brain must again normalize itself, over time, to a state where it provides normal moods without artificial stimuli, as in this case with nicotine.

Again. Basically our brains will revert, to a "normal state", "after the healing phase", and after that, we no longer are affected with any physiologic mood effects of nicotine cessation, after the 6 - 12 week period.

• Like 3

I am actually on a low dose antidepressant...have been for sevrral years. Maybe I need to see Doc about increasing it short term but I wish I could just get past this. Thanks so much Evelyn for your support xx

• Like 4

Nicotine withdraw takes 3 weeks to leave the body completely when completely stopping using it, you are coming to the end of this time, how long it stays in the brain after that I think is still unknown completely...

Personally going to the doctor would be the most wise as dosage or brand maybe needing changing for your antidepressants

Good luck and hope you feel better soon x

• Like 4

Thanks Mike! I will read the links you have provided. I suspected there could be a regulatory problem in the brain & even just having this annoying problem recognized as real is helpful. The hope you have provided that it WILL go away is most gratifying as well. And BTW it's great to hear from you. Hope your quit is going well.

• Like 1

I am not a doctor... however I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Are you happy that you quit?  Are you aware of what an AWESOME thing that you have done? RECOGNIZE!!!

YOU ARE A WINNER....are you living like it???

GET UP .... GET OUT AND ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE.  YOU ARE BADASS.

if there are other issues.... please go and talk to a professional.   That is no way to live.

• Like 3

Thanks Mike! I will read the links you have provided. I suspected there could be a regulatory problem in the brain & even just having this annoying problem recognized as real is helpful. The hope you have provided that it WILL go away is most gratifying as well. And BTW it's great to hear from you. Hope your quit is going well.

Great to hear from you, too.

I am pissed I can't find that great article yet. I am sure a link of it is somewhere in all my OS's, that I haven't cleaned up yet. When I find it, I'll forward it to you.

"Stick with the plan and program" my friend, and you will be fine. Hint! Think of all the longer quitters, on how they have come out to the other side of Nicotine Addiction, feeling better than ever before. I'll stop now, cause I know I'm preaching.

Kind regards.

• Like 1

No advice but I wanted to offer a gentle hug. And maybe a reminder that not everything is the quit, sometimes it just the time ya know. I would get some advice to be on the safe side but also want to reassure you my "new normal" didn't settle for around 4/5 months. Much love tyme, you are doing amazing and I'm so pleased you could post. xx

• Like 4

Hi Tyme, I went through this when I quit last year, I am on antidepressants and have been for years, and I couldn't understand why I felt so low when quitting, i quit using Champix, and after 3 months was still feeling very low so went to speak with my GP here is what she told me " smoking can actually and has been proven to increase the likelihood of suffering from depression, quitting  should after the intial shock the your body of coming off nicotine, improve you actual mood," going into this in more detail with her she said that mentally we are actually mourning the loss of nicotine and therefore creating a negative mood without realising it, made alot of sense to me and explained how I was feeling in general, thought processes can sometimes take a while to stick in us, feel for you Tyme and it is definitely worth a visit to your GP because we are all different, love my little happy pills, big hugs xx

• Like 3

Quitting Smoking & Mental Health

This video discusses how most people experience minor emotional reactions when first quitting, but also how people with pre-existing mental health issues may need physician assistance in dealing with problems that seem to be exacerbated after quitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ysFk0-pQ3A&list=PL76365B6CE2DA076B

Related article:
Depression: A normal reaction or a real organic depressive effect: http://www.ffn.yuku.com/topic/12459

Related videos:
The emotional stages of loss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk1ECG...
Using cigarettes to self medicate pre-existing conditions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVk2Ve...
Is anyone else experiencing the symptom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EJ3Ot...
Is this a symptom of quitting smoking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5jbj...
Life goes on without smoking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8nBjO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cILrIM3PQPY

• Like 2

Nicotine withdraw takes 3 weeks to leave the body completely when completely stopping using it, you are coming to the end of this time, how long it stays in the brain after that I think is still unknown completely...

Personally going to the doctor would be the most wise as dosage or brand maybe needing changing for your antidepressants

Good luck and hope you feel better soon x

Hi Trace.

I know there is lot's of conflicting information about this, even between the teachings of authors on respected Quit sites. I believe, the actual withdrawal of nicotine upon cessation, is over at no longer than 72 hours.

On Nicotine Withdrawal:

"Why fear the 72 hours needed to rid the body of nicotine and move beyond peak withdrawal?"

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

@ 72 Hours, "Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day have peaked for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and your lung's functional abilities are starting to increase".

The healing time of nicotine cessation for stabilization of neuron-receptor sites, is found by researchers to be, from studies I have read, to be 10 - 12 and 6 -12 weeks, respectively.

One study:

http://www.drugabuse...th-to-normalize

• Like 1

All of you are awesome! Thank you so much for being so considerate & kind. I was afraid to post this as I thought you may think I was weak or self centred but you have been so supportive. I AM happy I have quit & I have no intention of going back to smoking. I just feel so lousy that my expectations of how I would feel on quitting smoking have been quite inaccurate. I have started reading the information provided & will watch the Videos. Again my heartfelt thanks to all of you for being so caring. I will be seeing my Physician if this does not settle down. I would prefer to handle it without increasing meds which take about 6 weeks to work anyway. Educating oneself is far more positive. I did go out & treat myself to a manicure this afternoon!

• Like 5

Hi Trace.

I know there is lot's of conflicting information about this, even between the teachings of authors on respected Quit sites. I believe, the actual withdrawal of nicotine upon cessation, is over at no longer than 72 hours.

On Nicotine Withdrawal:

"Why fear the 72 hours needed to rid the body of nicotine and move beyond peak withdrawal?"

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

@ 72 Hours, "Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day have peaked for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and your lung's functional abilities are starting to increase".

The healing time of nicotine cessation for stabilization of neuron-receptor sites, is found by researchers to be, from studies I have read, to be 10 - 12 and 6 -12 weeks, respectively.

One study:

http://www.drugabuse...th-to-normalize

Hi Mike

Yes there are so many conflicting writings on this matter it's confusing to say the least, but to me it seems more believable to be 3 weeks to be totally out rather than 3 days, although peak withdraw after 3 days sounds sensible, but I am no doctor or scientist and cannot put up a reasonable argument for or against which is right, I just go by what I feel is right that's all I have really.

• Like 1

There has been some great advice offered. I just want to add that

everyone says post as much as you want. There's collective

wisdom here...and reading people's comments can stimulate

you to come up with new ways to cope.

I hadn't seen you showing up lately and wondered about you.

So you are not in this alone. It could make a difference in building

a very solid foundation to your quit to reach out...yell for help.

I've been a real idiot on this forum, I know, but I keep coming

back because my little bruised ego means nothing

compared to the big war I am fighting.

I think I remember you saying you have grandkids, and you

want to enjoy them now, and forever, eh? That's the brass

ring you want to grab and hold on to.

So WHATEVER IT TAKES...IT'S WORTH IT.

I'm like you...I thought I'd have a bad few first weeks then

everything would be peachy keen. Not so! This is a

terrible addiction. Also, DD reminded me that now

cigarettes are reved up with so many chemicals...

it's just not like quitting 40 years ago. This isn't

just coming off tobacco. It's coming off an insidious

mix of chemicals that fry the brain, and increase

the potency of the addiction.

Stay strong, dear one, you have people who

love you and need you and showing up for them

having quit smoking is to show up as Grandmom

Goddess Supreme, who rocks and inspires. :wub:

• Like 1

I just had an unexpected phone call back from my Physician. I would like to know your reactions to her advice. She was VERY pleased I have quit smoking but she was also very concerned that I was making an appointment due to depression affecting me to the point I can't get out of bed in the morning. She talked to me about dopamine & long term smoking & past depression events. She suggested I use NRT in the morning & wean off it more gradually. She said only certain antidepressants are effective & a new one would take too long to work. She DID stress NOT to smoke. But she was concerned about this level of depression. She felt most people did not react this way but when certain people do it is a concern. I am just lucky enough to be one of those people...NOT. Thoughts please?

I haven't seen my physician since I quit, but I did

have (and I guess, still do) have lingering depression

after my sister's death last year.

My physician and I came up with a plan of vitamins,

supplements (esp. Omega 3) melatonin at night,

valerian as needed, and NO LESS THAN 30

minutes of cardio based exercise PER DAY

7 days a week.

When depressed, the hardest thing to do is to

exercise, but the newest studies have indicated that

daily cardio of 30 minutes, is AS EFFECTIVE as

medication.

As well, it improves accountability, efficacy, and

self-confidence. A solid quit must be built on a

solid foundation.

The only way out is through. PS I've upped my

B Vits, as they calm the central nervous system.

I can't talk about medication or NRT, but I'm

working on maintaining daily exercise, as that

can work well with anything and everything else.

• Like 1

I just had an unexpected phone call back from my Physician. I would like to know your reactions to her advice. She was VERY pleased I have quit smoking but she was also very concerned that I was making an appointment due to depression affecting me to the point I can't get out of bed in the morning. She talked to me about dopamine & long term smoking & past depression events. She suggested I use NRT in the morning & wean off it more gradually. She said only certain antidepressants are effective & a new one would take too long to work. She DID stress NOT to smoke. But she was concerned about this level of depression. She felt most people did not react this way but when certain people do it is a concern. I am just lucky enough to be one of those people...NOT. Thoughts please?

Tyme2B... if this is a physician you have been working with for some time and one that you have trusted... my advice is to continue to work with her

Depression is never something to be taken lightly... none of us should advise you to go against her BUT we will support you no matter what is deemed the best course of treatment for you and your quit... big hugs xx

• Like 2

I would prefer to try the Vitamins CPK....I have no idea how I can use exercise right now. I have lost weight rather than gaining it since my Quit. But I have gone on a couple of fast walks with my supportive hubby.

My youngest brother died last year of lung cancer.I hear your pain. It's tough. I am 3 weeks off NRT....I don't want to start over but it is not as bad as smoking....I will wait & see if I can get out of this. Even when my hubby & I were away at a beautiful Island a couple of weeks ago he went to breakfast himself as I was too down to get out of bed. This is NOT me! I don't know what to do.

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Yes there are so many conflicting writings on this matter it's confusing to say the least, but to me it seems more believable to be 3 weeks to be totally out rather than 3 days, although peak withdraw after 3 days sounds sensible, but I am no doctor or scientist and cannot put up a reasonable argument for or against which is right, I just go by what I feel is right that's all I have really.

You bet Trace.

I know who you are "not quoting", and that's cool. Really! I don't wish to sound argumentative.

Now, I wish I could help T. a little more ...

hmm ... what have I done in the past that "helped", with jangled moods, due to nicotine cessation.

1) I stayed active, and posted lots on Quit Smoking sites. It helped, even when I was only really helping myself, as I posted frequently.

2) I took the situation I found myself in, as much as I could, "One Day at a Time".

3) I read the accounts of other's, who were before me, and how they had coped, and how they felt better, after time, and "tried" (not always very successfully), to remain faithful and hopeful, that the miracle would happen for me too, just like they, (it did, by evolving slowly).

4) I bitched and complained, when I had to. I argued and fought with the guys, that I knew could handle a good fight.

5) Oh, I read and read online sources & books on the process of quitting nicotine. I became an expert "in my own mind", and didn't mind telling anyone who cared to read. lol (I did that lots).

6) I enjoyed seeing my quit get healthier, and even blogged about it. Bitching in it, outlining slow improvements, spouting random thoughts and feelings about it all ...

7) I had to push myself to keep going, lots. It never has been easy for me to quit. By that I mean, it was "painful". I took solace in the fact, that I have the ability "to push myself" and seemingly "go against the odds", and do what didn't seem possible, out of just pure stubbornness.

... and in spite of myself, it got better ...

That's all I have now T.

• Like 3

I would prefer to try the Vitamins CPK....I have no idea how I can use exercise right now. I have lost weight rather than gaining it since my Quit. But I have gone on a couple of fast walks with my supportive hubby.

My youngest brother died last year of lung cancer.I hear your pain. It's tough. I am 3 weeks off NRT....I don't want to start over but it is not as bad as smoking....I will wait & see if I can get out of this. Even when my hubby & I were away at a beautiful Island a couple of weeks ago he went to breakfast himself as I was too down to get out of bed. This is NOT me! I don't know what to do.

Sometimes vacations CAN be hard, because you can't enjoy

them for your own reasons. It's something we've all experienced.

Okay, exercise...daily...30 minutes...CAN BE MODERATE. Like

now, I'll just go for 15 minutes out, 15 minutes back...think

about it...in old days I used to smoke 2 in a row,

which killed off 30 minutes.

Think simple. Just put on sneaks...even do

10 minutes out, 10 minutes back. Even if it does nothing to

immediately improve mood...you are being a nonsmoker

and you are an exercising nonsmoker...

Speaking of which, I gotta get off  now and go walk so that I'm

not just preaching and butt sitting. ;)

• Like 2