When Will It Get Better?

Markus

Thanks, Markus. I relate to every single sentence. Today I was angry that everything good and bad in my life had been punctuated by smoking. That's the insidious nature of the addiction--- that it weaseled its way into every activity --- either during --- or afterwards, as some kind of fake reward. There's an awful lot of rewiring to be done. Even if I grasp it intellectually, emotionally it's very hard. The support offered by master quitters, and their kindness towards others new to this journey --- is gold! Great post. Ta!   (Brits: I'm stealing your words!)

• Like 2

Another good piece of advice by Markus...given that new activities will NOT have associations with smoking...it would make sense to start up a lot of new things. However, newbies also experience dopamine depletion, causing a kind of "blah" feeling, and a loss of motivation. This is where TRUSTING what the master quitters say. I might need to push on through and have faith that the old sticky quits know what they are talking about. I'm going to try for one new association per week...something I can do that has no association with smoking. Bowling, anyone?

• Like 1

I think when we stop smoking we all have this warped sense that we have this magic wand that makes all the craves, desires and longing for smoking disappear overnight, reality then kicks in and we realise that we have to work hard to reach our goal, this is when people relapse, because they are not fully committed to quitting, what sacrifice do we have to make to stop, none, we owe it to ourselves to quit smoking, we inflicted this addiction upon ourselves, we have to work at making it better, our lives are in our hands, and only us, ourselves can get through the quit to a better life, a life that we really deserve.  The few weeks, or in some cases months of feeling out of sorts, feeling as though we are in limbo, are surely something really worth going through to reach the side where our lives are much healthier, we live longer, and we are more in control.  xx

• Like 5

Before coming onto this site I was thinking in terms of 3 months...by 3 months I'll be fine. Now I don't think that's the case. Now I'm thinking in terms of a year, MINIMUM, commitment to learning all about maintaining the final quit. From everything I've read here. the master quitters worked really hard for the WHOLE FIRST YEAR. Relapsing is not part of my quit program.

• Like 2

I am being asked regularly "Do you feel better now that you have quit smoking?" NO I don't.....not yet. From reading & research I have done, the benefits of quitting smoking occur gradually over the first year post QUIT. I went into this QUIT thinking I would have a remarkable recovery within a month! Yeah right....NOT! After 40 years of smoking it's going to take time to feel the benefits of my QUIT. My Doc has told me it will take 10 yrs for my lungs to return to decent shape. But, at least there is a future....if I did not stop now, there would not be a future. I can say my cough has reduced in the morning & I have not had a cold this year.....normally I get pneumonia every year lasting a crummy 3 months. So, either not smoking or a lucky year has kept me healthier. That's good! The Insomnia.... which is gradually improving .....has made me feel like crap & dragging my butt around every day all day has not been fun. I blame it on the Quit. But no matter what, good or bad, I am GLAD I have said NOPE. That is something I can say that has definitely made me feel better! I said NOPE and I stuck to it. NO relapses....ever.

• Like 4

Treats for not smoking are WONDERFUL!!!! That makes me feel better...yes! We just returned from an amazing Vacation in Curacao....off the coast of Venezuela. Truly a gem in the Caribbean. Did that feel good? Oh YAH!!! Treat yourself! Even little treats make this all worthwhile

• Like 3

I'm giving myself a year as well - a year of going easy on myself.  Back in 2009 I had a relapse after 10 months of not smoking!  That was the longest I had gone since I was 16 years old.  Now I'm doing it differently by seeking the therapy I need to handle my moods and my bi-polar.  My mania brought me down on two previous quits and I'm not letting that happen this time.

One year and I will feel like a success.  I realize that every day spent as a non-smoker is a success but I want that golden year.  I know things won't be drastically different (just because of an arbitrary date) but it's important to me symbolically.  

On that note: month 4 is cruising along with no major cravings.  I feel solid and my moods have been even keel.  BUT getting from month 3 to 4 was HAAAARD.  Very hard.  So I'm ready for anything this quit may throw at me.  Hell!  Month 32 could be my hardest - I'm prepared to continue the fight.

• Like 2

Woman! You are inspiring! Despite a difficult journey you are still doing your Quit! Good for you! Not an easy road....but so worth it in the end. Nope! This word resounds through my mind constantly! You are going to get your Golden Year!

• Like 2