Sherlock

cpk

When is Sherlock gonna do the sticky quit?

OR

Does it bother other quitters to watch smoking in movies?

In the BBC Sherlock he goes from wearing three nico patches at a time

to occasionally smoking with his brother Mycroft. He never seems to enjoy

it when he smokes but still   ~     he is a smoker.

I've avoided watching movies that have a lot of smoking.

I admitted on this forum that early on in my quit I CRIED

when I watched Tom Hanks hacking away as Walt Disney.

Cpk I still try and stay away from old favorite movies that show a lot of smoking. (I'm a 90's girl.)

It's not that I fear it will effect my quit, I just don't want to see it. Does that make sense? Plenty of other stuff for me to watch without that. And whenever I do watch, I just remind myself they don't rrally smoke, they are just faking it so tobacco foots the filming bills. Which is still annoying.

• Like 1

Cpk I still try and stay away from old favorite movies that show a lot of smoking. (I'm a 90's girl.)

It's not that I fear it will effect my quit, I just don't want to see it. Does that make sense? Plenty of other stuff for me to watch without that. And whenever I do watch, I just remind myself they don't rrally smoke, they are just faking it so tobacco foots the filming bills. Which is still annoying.

I like films before cell phones, but in those films everyone is smoking!

Watching smoking in movies doesn't bother me at all.  Do you quitters know how much big tobacco had an influence in the movies, TV, and commercials?  Most if not all will say yes.  What if I said they still do it today (although smoking is not as prevalent in movies)? 

• Like 1

I don't think he will. The smoking/drug use in the original books were used to reinforce the addict personality he has in regards to solving crime, I think.

Yeah, I know. There's so much smoking going on in the original book wouldn't be surprised if smoke started drifting off the pages of my copy. But in the

book Irene Adler wasn't a dominatrix!!! They also had BBC Sherlock wearing nicotine patches! Keep watching, maybe he and the writers

will surprise us and he'll quit and be full-time addicted to fighting crime, and maybe smoking too! Glad to see you on the board.

PS As for Sherlock's deeper addictions...   a dark horse, there. Maybe writers will deal with that, too. Might be good if they did...

could be interesting, eh?

He did cocaine and morphine.  Right?  Nicotine probably went along pretty well with those addictions.

Who cares about people on screen?  I watched 2 seasons of Boardwalk Empire during my first 2 months of quitting.  They smoke constantly.  Aint no thang for me.  We can't live in a bubble.  Guess I'm lucky tho.

• Like 1

He did cocaine and morphine.  Right?  Nicotine probably went along pretty well with those addictions.

Who cares about people on screen?  I watched 2 seasons of Boardwalk Empire during my first 2 months of quitting.  They smoke constantly.  Aint no thang for me.  We can't live in a bubble.  Guess I'm lucky tho.

Well, it seems totally weird to sit in my smoke free home watching people smoke on a small screen. As for being in a bubble...my bubble will be as smoke free as I can make it  ~~ for now. I know others don't mind smoke or smoking in various settings...that's why I started this thread. I was curious.

I definitely see what you are saying. I read all the books on third grade and honestly feel that the current BBC version, despite the setting/etc, capture s the heart of the series better than anything else. Second I feel is the basil rathbone bit, third I feel would be House lol

• Like 1

I definitely see what you are saying. I read all the books on third grade and honestly feel that the current BBC version, despite the setting/etc, capture s the heart of the series better than anything else. Second I feel is the basil rathbone bit, third I feel would be House lol

Excellent taste! I think current BBC version is genius...filming...modern uplevel etc. ~~ doesn't need the smoking and drug use, really, to tell a good story. They have already tried to cure Sherlock of his sociopathy...they are 50% on their way to getting him entirely clean. Haha. Which would make him all the more cool. And you're cool to be on this site! Remember what the master quitters keep telling us...eventually all unwanted symptoms will subside and freedom to live a powerful, self-dictated life will be the daily coin of the realm.